Dropbox: An Essential Android App

macvjk

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you're a proud new owner of the Thunderbolt and also new to Android, welcome! I hope you'll love the Android platform as much as I do! I've seen a lot of posts in the past few days from folks who ask about what apps they should put on their shiny new toy. Dropbox is one of the best out there. I've used it on my computer, iphone, and several Android phones. It really comes in handy. Put your files into your Dropbox folder on one computer, and they'll automatically appear on any of your other computers that also have Dropbox installed (Windows, Mac, and Linux too!). You can even download Dropbox apps for your smartphone or mobile device (iPhone, iPad, Android, and Blackberry). Everything in your Dropbox is available from the Dropbox website, too.

Here's a link for you to create a new Dropbox account:
http://db.tt/hMi8DPm

(Disclosure: Dropbox will give me 250MB of additional free space in my account when you sign up for a Dropbox account using this link. And the amazing part? You'll increase your free space by 250MB too. So, we both benefit! And, thanks in advance for using my link! I'm not affiliated with Dropbox other than as a satisfied user.)

Want more Dropbox space to use with your Thunderbolt phone? After you set up your Dropbox account, come back here and post your own referral link so others can help you increase your free space, too!

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Dropbox is a great app! I use it to sync and backup the schedules I create at work, and have them available for reference on my phone or at home. To contribute to the usefulness of this thread, here are some links with creative and unusual ways to use Dropbox:

The Cleverest Ways to Use Dropbox That You?re Not Using
Add "My Dropbox" to Your Windows 7 Start Menu
Customize the Windows 7 or Vista Send To Menu (Send any items manually to the dropbox folder with a right-click, useful for items you want to manually sync or are on a network share.)

If macvjk's referrals cap out (caps at 8gig, I believe?) I hope you'll consider using my referral as well: http://db.tt/ZRjaFx9

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
If you're a proud new owner of the Thunderbolt and also new to Android, welcome! I hope you'll love the Android platform as much as I do! I've seen a lot of posts in the past few days from folks who ask about what apps they should put on their shiny new toy. Dropbox is one of the best out there. I've used it on my computer, iphone, and several Android phones. It really comes in handy. Put your files into your Dropbox folder on one computer, and they'll automatically appear on any of your other computers that also have Dropbox installed (Windows, Mac, and Linux too!). You can even download Dropbox apps for your smartphone or mobile device (iPhone, iPad, Android, and Blackberry). Everything in your Dropbox is available from the Dropbox website, too.

Here's a link for you to create a new Dropbox account:
http://db.tt/hMi8DPm

(Disclosure: Dropbox will give me 250MB of additional free space in my account when you sign up for a Dropbox account using this link. And the amazing part? You'll increase your free space by 250MB too. So, we both benefit! And, thanks in advance for using my link! I'm not affiliated with Dropbox other than as a satisfied user.)

Want more Dropbox space to use with your Thunderbolt phone? After you set up your Dropbox account, come back here and post your own referral link so others can help you increase your free space, too!
quick question, is it secure?

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for including this! I HATE when people try to be sneaky:mad:

Another GREAT way to get things on your phone quickly and easily (In addition to Dropbox) is Awesome Drop. Works great for when you just want to get that picture or MP3 on your phone and don't want to clutter up your Dropbox.

Awesome Drop

Reactions: lovy

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for including this! I HATE when people try to be sneaky:mad:

Another GREAT way to get things on your phone quickly and easily (In addition to Dropbox) is Awesome Drop. Works great for when you just want to get that picture or MP3 on your phone and don't want to clutter up your Dropbox.

Awesome Drop
Good Morning Leehblanc,

Are these sites secure?

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
quick question, is it secure?

Here's their page on security (link) so you can look it over yourself. I personally think they are up to snuff as far as it all goes. Getting/guessing your password is probably the weakest point in the security chain, imo.

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Noob here (previous iphone4 user) If we have drop box and awesome drop what is the use of syncing with google is that just for contacts. I am so accustomed to using Itunes, please forgive me if my questions seem silly. I dont even know how to sync my phone neverplugged it in my comp, been manually adding phone numbers, photos etc.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
OMG, I have a DB account and never thought to use it on my phone. Thanks for the reminder! Wish I'd have thought of this - enjoy all that new space you're going to have when people sign up off your link.

For those not familiar - this is one super great sharing resource. I use it 'tween my desktop and my laptop. I made a Dropbox folder on my C drive and put all the folders in it that I use most often (web designers have a bunch of them) so that I can share them between my two computers.

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Noob here (previous iphone4 user) If we have drop box and awesome drop what is the use of syncing with google is that just for contacts. I am so accustomed to using Itunes, please forgive me if my questions seem silly. I dont even know how to sync my phone neverplugged it in my comp, been manually adding phone numbers, photos etc.

I would read the security link posted above. Dropbox is secure enough for me. As far as Awesome Drop, I just use it for pictures of MP3s or other simple things, so I don't worry about security. You get a new code each time you use it, and once navigate away from the site or close the app, that code is no longer valid.

Google will sync your contacts and calendar events. Syncing photos and videos can be done via any number of methods. I use Easy Phone Tunes for my music. The paid version allows you to select multiple iTunes playlists to sync, which is great because this phone will hold a LOT of music. Market link below:

Easy Phone Tunes Plus

If you want to check out the free version, there is a link on the left side of the page I linked to above.

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I would read the security link posted above. Dropbox is secure enough for me. As far as Awesome Drop, I just use it for pictures of MP3s or other simple things, so I don't worry about security. You get a new code each time you use it, and once navigate away from the site or close the app, that code is no longer valid.

Google will sync your contacts and calendar events. Syncing photos and videos can be done via any number of methods. I use Easy Phone Tunes for my music. The paid version allows you to select multiple iTunes playlists to sync, which is great because this phone will hold a LOT of music. Market link below:

Easy Phone Tunes Plus

If you want to check out the free version, there is a link on the left side of the page I linked to above.
Thank you, I have so much music on itunes but did not know how to get it since I never plug my TB to the computer. Do we actually sync the TB to computer?

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, I have so much music on itunes but did not know how to get it since I never plug my TB to the computer. Do we actually sync the TB to computer?

Not in the same way you did with an iPhone. As far as contacts and (paid) apps go, your Google account works like iTunes did for your iPhone.

Let's say your Thunderbolt screen dies. You exchange it at Verizon. As soon as you sign in with your Google account, all of your contacts and calendars sync to the phone over the air. Any paid apps you have will appear in the Market (when on a the market page, press Menu, then My Apps. This is similar to what iTunes would do if you replaced your iPhone. As far as free apps, check out AppBrain. You can link it to your phone (signing in with your Google account) and it will keep track of ALL the apps you have on your phone... you just have to remember to sync it from time to time.

Top Android Apps and Games in the Android Market | AppBrain.com

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Not in the same way you did with an iPhone. As far as contacts and (paid) apps go, your Google account works like iTunes did for your iPhone.

Let's say your Thunderbolt screen dies. You exchange it at Verizon. As soon as you sign in with your Google account, all of your contacts and calendars sync to the phone over the air. Any paid apps you have will appear in the Market (when on a the market page, press Menu, then My Apps. This is similar to what iTunes would do if you replaced your iPhone. As far as free apps, check out AppBrain. You can link it to your phone (signing in with your Google account) and it will keep track of ALL the apps you have on your phone... you just have to remember to sync it from time to time.

Top Android Apps and Games in the Android Market | AppBrain.com
Yayyy tyy. So there is no need to plug phone t comp? I have stopped auto sync & Background on my phone for google and a few more apps that I don't frequent to save battery but when I go in it will sync regardless right?

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Yayyy tyy. So there is no need to plug phone t comp? I have stopped auto sync & Background on my phone for google and a few more apps that I don't frequent to save battery but when I go in it will sync regardless right?

I would leave Google sync ON. Always.

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

Before I had a phone that could hold a moderate chunk of my mp3s, I was using Orb to stream my own music and videos to my phone. It's not the "newest" program out there, but it still works just fine. Orb is basically a small server you leave running on your computer. You tell it where your media files are, and then you sign in through their website (free, I think there's an app, but it's paid?). I don't think you need to do any router configuration, either.

Long story short, if you'd like a way to stream media to your phone, Orb is an option.

smoother#AC

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
@ leehblanc

Been a dropboxer for a couple years, and love it. But not quite sure if I am going to pull the trigger for the phone app, because one of the recent reviews says:
WHY does this crap INSIST on constantly running in the background even though advertises otherwise.

In your experience, is this a big deal? Does it eat up memory, battery, and/or overall performance?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood