Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ALTERNATIVE for using the POWER BUTTON to activate SCREEN?

loving my 'bolt... HOWEVER my power button although not COMPLETELY flush with the phone is pretty darned close and i fear constant use to activate the screen will only make it become more recessed. have read that some thunderbolts have more raised buttons than others. wondering if that's the case and if this is something worth exchanging my phone for. otherwise, if there was an app to enable the volume rocker to be used to turn the screen on that would be AWESOME. does anyone know of such an app? have been trying to use tasker to configure it to do that but can't seem to manage it. help??

I don't believe there is any way to wake the screen without hitting the power button. IMO, I would exchange the phone, you have the 14 day no questions asked window, I would do it during that time, it would be easier.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by cheeta186 View Post
    I don't believe there is any way to wake the screen without hitting the power button. IMO, I would exchange the phone, you have the 14 day no questions asked window, I would do it during that time, it would be easier.
    how flush is your power button?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

also, just downloaded the "no lock" app. uses the volume rocker to wake screen. my only concern is whether it'll be a battery drain. we shall see. then again i might go in to verizon tomorrow and check out other units to compare.

ROM
    None

the power button module is not movable so its not going anywhere. Like any other mass produced product you might see a slight variance between phones but not enough to really make a difference.

shocka who makes this app couldn't find it in the market. Found no lock though, not sure yet on any of these kind of apps. Let me know if don't mind.

I would like an app to sit on my home screen that will turn the screen OFF.
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by acmxenon View Post
    shocka who makes this app couldn't find it in the market. Found no lock though, not sure yet on any of these kind of apps. Let me know if don't mind.

sorry you're right. "no lock" is the app. looking for a free widget to shut the screen off sans power button but i'm pretty sure i can easily program this with tasker in one way or other.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,720 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by debsdroid View Post
    There are a bunch like that. Search "Screen Off" in the market.

I have one that I use on my XOOM, but it isn't with my right now and I can't remember what it's called.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock, (for now)

I got the silicone case/cover for mine the day I bought it, never knew there was such a problem. It extends down and makes it VERY easy to hit the button. It was only $14, I suggest picking one of those up!!

Quote Originally Posted by shocka View Post
    how flush is your power button?
    My power button sticks up a decent amount. I don't know compared to other phones, but I am fine with the way mine is. Holding the phone vertically it seems to stick up, maybe 3mm above the top of my phone, a little more then my Droid 2 did.

screen off and lock app

ROM
    Reborn ROM 2.2.1

When I was using ThunderROM, all of my hard buttons would activate the screen. when I changed to RebornROM now only the power button does. Any Ideas? Optimus S, Android 2.2

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

No lock

Sent from the Bolt via Tapatalk
    -SoDev

Widget Locker and Screen Off

Quote Originally Posted by shocka View Post
    loving my 'bolt... HOWEVER my power button although not COMPLETELY flush with the phone is pretty darned close and i fear constant use to activate the screen will only make it become more recessed. have read that some thunderbolts have more raised buttons than others. wondering if that's the case and if this is something worth exchanging my phone for. otherwise, if there was an app to enable the volume rocker to be used to turn the screen on that would be AWESOME. does anyone know of such an app? have been trying to use tasker to configure it to do that but can't seem to manage it. help??
    Having a surepress click screen would be nice.

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.10

The power button issue is a known one for these phones. I had to take my first one back an hour after I got it because the button kept getting stuck down.

Sent fom my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk for your reading pleasure.
    "Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt Hoooooooo!" - Lion-O

Not much help if you're not rooted, but the BAMF Roms have the volume buttons enabled to wake the screen.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by debsdroid View Post
    That would be nice.

For those that are lazy, here's a link for a widget that will turn the screen off.

https://market.android.com/details?i...ckscreenwidget

There was some app on the market where you could wave your hand over the proximity sensor and it would turn the screen on. I forget the exact name of the app.