Google Maps & GPS

jrmarinojr

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So I was on the way to a lounge in Manhattan with my girl and booted up Google Maps to get my location. I was looking for the big blue radius circle to go away because I had my GPS turned on but it didn't (was waiting for just the arrow and no circle). For some reason the radius circle never went away and I had to use the chick's new iPhone to exactly pinpoint where we were. Pathetic!! Anyone else having this problem/know what could be wrong???

zshazz

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
My GPS locks within seconds. The little satellite receiver with the green semicircular transmission lines coming out of it is showing up, right?

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you have any other apps that use gps try removing them to see if one of them is causing problems with your lock.

I had problems once with my gps and it turns out it was the weather channel app that stopped the lock.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

jrmarinojr

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
alright so it just kicked in...however when i turn off the gps through the GPS widget the ))) bars are still on the top...does this mean i need to manually turn on the gps in the location settings everytime i use maps????

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You don't need to change those setting each time you will be fine just turning of the gps in the widget. You will see the location activated in your notification bar even if.your gps is off.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

krazy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Was this the first time using navigation on the TB? It took my phone about 15 mins of "looking for GPS" (or whatever they say) before it started working turn-by-turn. Now it loads right up within a few seconds.

wanax

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had some weird issue with the GPS in Google Maps not locking in also when I enabled the "Cache Settings >> Prefetch Data" option. After I turned it off, GPS started locking again. Not sure why that setting would even matter, but that was my experience.

TigersFIMA

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
First time android phone user. Just got the phone yesterday night. Pretty much the only thing I've done so far after setting up Gmail and charging overnight is to try to use as GPS on the way in to work today. When tried to navigate got the "Checking navigation availability" message. Stayed like that for the 15 min drive in to work. Have it sitting next to desk now (not on charger) doing the same thing. Any ideas/anything I can check to make sure not a settings issue on my side, etc. Thanks.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Was this the first time using navigation on the TB? It took my phone about 15 mins of "looking for GPS" (or whatever they say) before it started working turn-by-turn. Now it loads right up within a few seconds.

Mine loads right up too. I play with it on the way home for no other reason than to play with it. I was using the VZ Navigator on my enV Touch before and I thought that was cool. I turn it on and it takes maybe a second to find me and BOOM there I go.:D:D

pdagal

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
On our review unit, I have to turn on WiFi when indoors to get a correct location fix. The HTC Inspire was the same way. When WiFi is on, it gets a fix in just a few seconds, otherwise it can flounder for minutes.

skcseth

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I had some weird issue with the GPS in Google Maps not locking in also when I enabled the "Cache Settings >> Prefetch Data" option. After I turned it off, GPS started locking again. Not sure why that setting would even matter, but that was my experience.

Where is this setting?
I'm still having a "slow" GPS issue when using Navigation. Takes too long to find the route. Just holds at "Searching for GPS". I have an un rooted TB and no GPS intensive apps running. Could this possibly have something to do with the LTEOn/Off option "CDMA auto (PRL)" and connectivity issues?