Poor Man's 4G toggle

UPEngineer

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

This credit goes to ThatDudeButch for this info...I am just spreading it around.

Here is the steps to simulate 4G toggle until an app comes out for it.

1. Download an app from market (it is free) called Any Cut.
2. Once downloaded, run the app and Select New Shortcut.
3. Select Activity.
4. Scroll way down to Phone Info and select it.
5. Rename it to what you want it called and tap OK.
6. A new shortcut will be on your homescreen.
7. Go into the newly created shortcut and scroll down to Set Preffered network type:

For 3G only, select: CDMA auto (PRL)
To go back to 3G/4G select: CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto

Hit the back arrow...

Hope this helps.

acmorris

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Or just download Phone Info by sc@tawain does the same thing, then under phone info control your data connections. Just extra piece of help!

finanandroid

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am using the HTC widget mobile Network , include in Tunderbolt it turn off 4g, most of the time i am connected to my wireless router home/office when i get out of work turn off Htc Wifi widget and just press mobile netork widget and i am in 4g again. So my battery run pretty good same as my rotted Dinc . Did i miss something what are people looking for 4g widget for the tunderbolt??

Last edited:

krazy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
.... and does it save you any battery? in a strong 4g area or in a marginal area?

Yeah, good question. If you are in a center of a "strong 4g" area will this help at all? I'm in Boston which was one of the two test areas for VZW's 4G network for the past few years. I seem to have just as good (and probably better) 4G access as I did 3G, will turning off 4G help at all? Or are people who are having problems the ones with marginal 4G where the phones are always search for a 4G signal?

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am in a strong 4G area in NY and I have to tell you, I was getting 5 hours of battery life on the phone and I was barely using it! I disabled 4G and set it to only 3G (CDMA Only Auto PRL) and now I am currently on 10 Hrs and 45 minutes since last charged and still have 44% battery power left. I use WiFi whenever home or in the office as well.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am in a strong 4G area in NY and I have to tell you, I was getting 5 hours of battery life on the phone and I was barely using it! I disabled 4G and set it to only 3G (CDMA Only Auto PRL) and now I am currently on 10 Hrs and 45 minutes since last charged and still have 44% battery power left. I use WiFi whenever home or in the office as well.
+1 for wifi when you have it. I have 1 bar of 4G inside my house and it chews through my battery in about 2-3 hours with little use. Leave the wifi on and I go 6-8 hrs with heavy use.

Edit: It also helps that I have 20mbps internet at home. :)

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I am using the HTC widget mobile Network , include in Tunderbolt it turn off 4g, most of the time i am connected to my wireless router home/office when i get out of work turn off Htc Wifi widget and just press mobile netork widget and i am in 4g again. So my battery run pretty good same as my rotted Dinc . Did i miss something what are people looking for 4g widget for the tunderbolt??

What? There's a 4G Toggle with an HTC widget? Can you clarify?

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com

Excuse my ignorance but when you guys say you use your wifi, do you go into the settings and turn off the Mobile Network and just run your phone on wifi? You can still get calls and stuff but all of your emails and surfing and everything else runs on the wifi connection? Am I understanding this right?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but when you guys say you use your wifi, do you go into the settings and turn off the Mobile Network and just run your phone on wifi? You can still get calls and stuff but all of your emails and surfing and everything else runs on the wifi connection? Am I understanding this right?

i dont turn the mobile network off when im at home. i leave it on and the wifi overpowers it for most operations. receiving sms/mms and phone calls is when the network barges in:)

konstantph

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hidden App - Testing

No one needs to download a separate app.

To set 3G only:
1. Go to Phone
2. Enter the following: *#*#4636#*#*
3. Click Phone Information
4. Scroll down to "Set preferred network type"
5. Select "CDMA only"

I don't remember where else I saw it, but I'm just passing the info along since this thread got linked by another review.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34