Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    ROM
    dasBamf 1.4/ Adryn 4.4.2

Default Poor Man's 4G toggle

Hello all,

This credit goes to ThatDudeButch for this info...I am just spreading it around.

Here is the steps to simulate 4G toggle until an app comes out for it.

1. Download an app from market (it is free) called Any Cut.
    2. Once downloaded, run the app and Select New Shortcut.
    3. Select Activity.
    4. Scroll way down to Phone Info and select it.
    5. Rename it to what you want it called and tap OK.
    6. A new shortcut will be on your homescreen.
    7. Go into the newly created shortcut and scroll down to Set Preffered network type:

For 3G only, select: CDMA auto (PRL)
    To go back to 3G/4G select: CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto

Hit the back arrow...

Hope this helps.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

none of the control panel apps turn off 4g ???
    I'm the ROOT man
    G Talk: Upstreammiami3o5
    Let me help you ROOT your phone
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    ROM
    dasBamf 1.4/ Adryn 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Upstreammiami View Post
    none of the control panel apps turn off 4g ???
    nope, not yet. Oversight I guess

Or just download Phone Info by sc@tawain does the same thing, then under phone info control your data connections. Just extra piece of help!

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Thanks i like that! Start using it already

Sent from my Bolt using Tapatalk!

.... and does it save you any battery? in a strong 4g area or in a marginal area?

I am using the HTC widget mobile Network , include in Tunderbolt it turn off 4g, most of the time i am connected to my wireless router home/office when i get out of work turn off Htc Wifi widget and just press mobile netork widget and i am in 4g again. So my battery run pretty good same as my rotted Dinc . Did i miss something what are people looking for 4g widget for the tunderbolt??
    Last edited by finanandroid; 03-20-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by realitydigg View Post
    .... and does it save you any battery? in a strong 4g area or in a marginal area?
    Yeah, good question. If you are in a center of a "strong 4g" area will this help at all? I'm in Boston which was one of the two test areas for VZW's 4G network for the past few years. I seem to have just as good (and probably better) 4G access as I did 3G, will turning off 4G help at all? Or are people who are having problems the ones with marginal 4G where the phones are always search for a 4G signal?

I am in a strong 4G area in NY and I have to tell you, I was getting 5 hours of battery life on the phone and I was barely using it! I disabled 4G and set it to only 3G (CDMA Only Auto PRL) and now I am currently on 10 Hrs and 45 minutes since last charged and still have 44% battery power left. I use WiFi whenever home or in the office as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    I am in a strong 4G area in NY and I have to tell you, I was getting 5 hours of battery life on the phone and I was barely using it! I disabled 4G and set it to only 3G (CDMA Only Auto PRL) and now I am currently on 10 Hrs and 45 minutes since last charged and still have 44% battery power left. I use WiFi whenever home or in the office as well.
    +1 for wifi when you have it. I have 1 bar of 4G inside my house and it chews through my battery in about 2-3 hours with little use. Leave the wifi on and I go 6-8 hrs with heavy use.

Edit: It also helps that I have 20mbps internet at home.

Default awesome

This really works great a lot quicker than the #*#* method

Quote Originally Posted by finanandroid View Post
    I am using the HTC widget mobile Network , include in Tunderbolt it turn off 4g, most of the time i am connected to my wireless router home/office when i get out of work turn off Htc Wifi widget and just press mobile netork widget and i am in 4g again. So my battery run pretty good same as my rotted Dinc . Did i miss something what are people looking for 4g widget for the tunderbolt??
    What? There's a 4G Toggle with an HTC widget? Can you clarify?
    nkd

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

why not just download the phone info app and drag it on to your desktop. LOL
    nkd

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asianrage View Post
    What? There's a 4G Toggle with an HTC widget? Can you clarify?
    that switch turns off every thing, no data. Its not a 4g toggle widget.

Quote Originally Posted by nkd View Post
    I figures as much. Cause I do have that running sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but when you guys say you use your wifi, do you go into the settings and turn off the Mobile Network and just run your phone on wifi? You can still get calls and stuff but all of your emails and surfing and everything else runs on the wifi connection? Am I understanding this right?
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Quote Originally Posted by nkd View Post
    thats what i was thinking too. i think everything may work for him because hes connected through wifi no matter what
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredJedi View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but when you guys say you use your wifi, do you go into the settings and turn off the Mobile Network and just run your phone on wifi? You can still get calls and stuff but all of your emails and surfing and everything else runs on the wifi connection? Am I understanding this right?
    i dont turn the mobile network off when im at home. i leave it on and the wifi overpowers it for most operations. receiving sms/mms and phone calls is when the network barges in
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Thanks for the info. Also love the app, going to use this for a lot of shortcuts.

Default Hidden App - Testing

No one needs to download a separate app.

To set 3G only:
    1. Go to Phone
    2. Enter the following: *#*#4636#*#*
    3. Click Phone Information
    4. Scroll down to "Set preferred network type"
    5. Select "CDMA only"

I don't remember where else I saw it, but I'm just passing the info along since this thread got linked by another review.

Quote Originally Posted by konstantph View Post
    No one needs to download a separate app.

To set 3G only:
    1. Go to Phone
    2. Enter the following: *#*#4636#*#*
    Using an app eliminates 12 of the 13 keypresses in these 2 steps. Of course it's your call, but I prefer 1 click to 13.
    rlm

I am not able to connect to 3g when accessing the test menu through the Phone or when using Phone Info. I am able to change the setting to CDMA auto (PRL), but it doesn't connect.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlm View Post
    I am not able to connect to 3g when accessing the test menu through the Phone or when using Phone Info. I am able to change the setting to CDMA auto (PRL), but it doesn't connect.

Interesting. I'm not having this problem but a friend is and she's about ready to can the phone over it.

It leaves voice connection fine but there is no data connection.

HTC would win a lot of respect if they just provided a widget. Probably take one of their devs 15 minutes tops.

Quote Originally Posted by rlm View Post

I was having the same problem. I discovered that I had to restart my phone after changing the setting in order for it to connect to 3G. Give that a try and see if it works for you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast