My experience with battery life with HTC extended battery

liquidice

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Added pics of the phone with extended battery (scroll down!)

The battery in question is this one from HTC: http://shop.htcpedia.com/htc-thunderbolt-extended-battery-door.html

So, I've had the phone for a few days now. Bought the Extended battery the day before the Thunderbolt came out.

First two days, I used the stock 1400mah battery. Battery life was OK, but not overly impressive. From unplugging it (no bump charging) at around 10am on Friday until maybe 3pm is when the battery died - with only very little use (maybe an hour at best) but lots of driving around in and out of 4G areas.

But yesterday and today I used the extended battery the entire day. Yesterday, I started the phone off fully charged from overnight with 1 bump charge (phone was off, with green light on, unplugged it, turned it on, and then continued to charge it until it hit 100% again). Spent about 3 hours in a 4G LTE area, using the phone for maybe an hour or so during that time, and battery life remained above 90%!

I plugged it in while we were driving to our next spot, so it charged for maybe another 45 minutes. Left unplugged the rest of the night, so from maybe 4pm until midnight when I got home it was unplugged - and kept in a 4G LTE area most of the day and the battery was still at 70% when I got home. Very impressive!

Today, I unplugged the phone at 8am, and haven't plugged it back in yet. So over 12 hours later -- and I've been using the phone a lot more today, playing Angry birds, surfing the net a lot -- and most of the time I've been in a 4G LTE area, but I just drove from NJ to VA so I was in an out of 4G LTE areas the entire time. Battery life is still an astounding 43% left! (I only drove halfway, the rest of the time I was using the phone too).

Thats pretty impressive to me. Granted, the phone is a lot bulkier with the extended battery, and currently there's no case for the phone when you put the extended battery in there - but it battery life is a lot better. Personally, I don't mind the slight increase in size of the phone for the battery door, but I would like a case, and it sucks that the phone doesn't fit into the Car dock with the extended battery.

Here's a few pics to show you...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrisy and lapeter

lapeter

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
My TB comes Mon. I also order the extended battery. I think the first few days I will use the extended since I am sure I will be using it more than normal. Then I will try regular battery and see what happens.

babybrownz

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting another battery but i dont like the bulkiness..
What is the biggest battery I can buy that doesn't add to the phone??
TIA..

BoSu

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
What battery did you buy?

Also, possible to get some pictures of the phone from the side to see how much bulk it adds?

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
TIA..

1600 mah is the biggest that will fit under a stock cover. Hate the bulk of this 2750 but love the life.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reactions: babybrownz

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
TIA..

I'm pretty Seidio sells a 1600 mah battery, that fits with the existing battery door. personally, I hope someone comes out with an 1850mah battery thats fits the current door, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

liquidice

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
TIA..

Seido makes a 1600mah battery that fits without increasing the size of the phone. However, I'm not sure how much extra battery life you'll get, and some reviews of other Seido batteries suggest that they do not provide as much battery life as they advertise, which might make buying an additional stock 1400mah HTC battery a wiser purchase.

See: BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims!

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
TIA..

Seidio sells a 1600 mAh battery that is same size as the original but I read it doesn't add very much battery life to the phone. I read anywhere from an hour to hour and half. I am good with that little bit extra time I just can't spend 50bux for that. I saw at BB the other day they sell a 1750mAh battery that is compatible for the EVO and the Incredible and am hoping there is one coming for this phone.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
OMG.....I can't say enough about the Extended Battery from Verizon. 3 and a half hrs. out of the stock battery,what a joke. Its ulgy but much needed.

h2opoloplyr_11

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Great write up! This is day one of my extended battery. So far 11 hrs since unpluged. 5 hours of heavy use!!! Still over 60% I'm happy with this battery.

Bulkiness isn't really all that bad! I had one for my old ATT 8525 and that was fugly!!!! This is ok, and the added battery is well worth the looks and its the same price as a 1600 seidio battery. Actually this was $41 out the door since the store gave me a discount.

thozgyz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Got my extended today. "WINNING". I even like the added bulk. Heavier, feels like the expensive phone that it is. Had one on my Dink. So for me it feel nice and natural. I suggest everyone at least try one out. You might grow to like it.

h2opoloplyr_11

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah watching the YouTube video and looking at pics won't really do justice. It really doesn't look that bad in person. Didn't want to buy it after looking at pictures at htcpedia but I'm glad I tried it out!!

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Extended Battery

I have been on the extended battery all day (standard usage) and have not even hit the 70% mark.. I am not sure what is going on, but with the standard battery, it was totally drained in about a half day (same usage)... Makes me wonder if there is an issue with the batteries that were shipped...

Also when I picked up the extended battery, the verizon rep commented that it was very unusual that they got extended batteries in this quickly....