how to: turn off LTE

cdunn05#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
** This tip should no be used if you're afraid of access phone features not advise by your carrier**

How to toggle LTE on your thunderbolt (the hard way)
This solution will allow you to toggle LTE because those if us with LTE are experiencing horrible battery life. This method will allow you to turn off LTE use and scanning which has increased my battery life 4 fold (8+ hours on a fufull charge with regular use while not using an app for battery effiency)

1. Access your dialer
2. Enter the code "*#*#4636#*#*"
3. Select "phone information"
4. Scroll down to "set preferred network type"
5. Select 'EvDo only" or "CDMA only" it "CDMA auto"
This will disable the LTE radio.

To reactivate LTE:
1. Steps 1-4
2. Select "LTE Mode"
3. Open the menu again and select "CDMA+LTE/EvDo auto"

Please remember that I dont eendorse phone modification. This is only intended to help guys. Please offer constructive feedback!

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought that it was a bit odd that Verizon didn't give us a toggle fo 4G. On the other hand what's the difference it does not use more power its just an additional band the phone can use no different than 1x 2x so why not have it on?

Joe378

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I thought that it was a bit odd that Verizon didn't give us a toggle fo 4G. On the other hand what's the difference it does not use more power its just an additional band the phone can use no different than 1x 2x so why not have it on?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it may be for people who live in a 3G area and are on the fringer of a 4G area and the phone keeps toggling between 3G and 4G. If you have a solid 3G or a solid 4G signal, you are ok. This is similar to toggling between 3G and 1X.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm about 10 miles from the fringe of LTE and supposedly it'll be expanded soon, so in the meantime, it's definitely beneficial to killing the 4G radio. Don't need to it to search at all if I know it isn't available yet.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it may be for people who live in a 3G area and are on the fringer of a 4G area and the phone keeps toggling between 3G and 4G. If you have a solid 3G or a solid 4G signal, you are ok. This is similar to toggling between 3G and 1X.

True, but LTE radio seems to burn more battery in general.

I live in a solid LTE area and never have any toggling issues, but battery is still being drained bigtime by the radio.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
This method is already posted in the "Problem and Solution Tracker" sticky and can also be found in your user manual.
You can also download an app called "Phone Info by Zarack" to turn off 4G until the app developers get us a better widget for toggling 4G/3G.

cdunn05#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

even with a solid 4g signal, you'll burn up far more battery than 3g. Verizon has acknowledged the issue and is working with HTC aand LTE technicians to develop a toggle feature. This solution provided is for those having an issue.

anon(149276)

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
1. Access your dialer
2. Enter the code "*#*#4636#*#*"

Please remember that I dont eendorse phone modification. This is only intended to help guys. Please offer constructive feedback!
Do you know if 4636 stands for if anything? Just out of curiosity. Is it like the *#*#CHECKIN#*#* ?

WhitePhone

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The easy way to turn off LTE

Well, we have seen the instructions for turning off LTE that involve dialing that wacky "*#*#4636#*#*" code in the dialer. But how about an app to do it. Your wish is my command. Here is a apk that is a shortcut to that hidden panel. I downloaded it from the market when I had my EVO a while back for some reason and I transferred it to my TB, and discovered it leads to the panel to turn off LTE with one tap!. Here ya go!

(I take no credit for this apk)

WhitePhone

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If anyone doesn't feel comfortable downloading the apk I posted, just search, "network mangelow" in the market and download that. It is identical to what I posted.

Reactions: bricon123

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma