Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how to: turn off LTE

** This tip should no be used if you're afraid of access phone features not advise by your carrier**

How to toggle LTE on your thunderbolt (the hard way)
    This solution will allow you to toggle LTE because those if us with LTE are experiencing horrible battery life. This method will allow you to turn off LTE use and scanning which has increased my battery life 4 fold (8+ hours on a fufull charge with regular use while not using an app for battery effiency)

1. Access your dialer
    2. Enter the code "*#*#4636#*#*"
    3. Select "phone information"
    4. Scroll down to "set preferred network type"
    5. Select 'EvDo only" or "CDMA only" it "CDMA auto"
    This will disable the LTE radio.

To reactivate LTE:
    1. Steps 1-4
    2. Select "LTE Mode"
    3. Open the menu again and select "CDMA+LTE/EvDo auto"

Please remember that I dont eendorse phone modification. This is only intended to help guys. Please offer constructive feedback!
    BlackBerry Pearl> Samsung Omnia> BlackBerry Storm> BlackBerry Storm2> Droid X> HTC ThunderBolt> Motorola Droid Razr> Galaxy Nexus

ROM
    None

I thought that it was a bit odd that Verizon didn't give us a toggle fo 4G. On the other hand what's the difference it does not use more power its just an additional band the phone can use no different than 1x 2x so why not have it on?

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidXTC View Post
    I thought that it was a bit odd that Verizon didn't give us a toggle fo 4G. On the other hand what's the difference it does not use more power its just an additional band the phone can use no different than 1x 2x so why not have it on?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it may be for people who live in a 3G area and are on the fringer of a 4G area and the phone keeps toggling between 3G and 4G. If you have a solid 3G or a solid 4G signal, you are ok. This is similar to toggling between 3G and 1X.

Yeah, I'm about 10 miles from the fringe of LTE and supposedly it'll be expanded soon, so in the meantime, it's definitely beneficial to killing the 4G radio. Don't need to it to search at all if I know it isn't available yet.

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 KANG

Quote Originally Posted by Joe378 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it may be for people who live in a 3G area and are on the fringer of a 4G area and the phone keeps toggling between 3G and 4G. If you have a solid 3G or a solid 4G signal, you are ok. This is similar to toggling between 3G and 1X.
    True, but LTE radio seems to burn more battery in general.

I live in a solid LTE area and never have any toggling issues, but battery is still being drained bigtime by the radio.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

This method is already posted in the "Problem and Solution Tracker" sticky and can also be found in your user manual.
    You can also download an app called "Phone Info by Zarack" to turn off 4G until the app developers get us a better widget for toggling 4G/3G.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Joe378 View Post
    even with a solid 4g signal, you'll burn up far more battery than 3g. Verizon has acknowledged the issue and is working with HTC aand LTE technicians to develop a toggle feature. This solution provided is for those having an issue.
    BlackBerry Pearl> Samsung Omnia> BlackBerry Storm> BlackBerry Storm2> Droid X> HTC ThunderBolt> Motorola Droid Razr> Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by cdunn05 View Post
    1. Access your dialer
    2. Enter the code "*#*#4636#*#*"

Please remember that I dont eendorse phone modification. This is only intended to help guys. Please offer constructive feedback!
    Do you know if 4636 stands for if anything? Just out of curiosity. Is it like the *#*#CHECKIN#*#* ?
    Moto V300 - Moto E815 - LG VX8600 - Moto Krave - Blackberry Pearl 8130 - Moto Droid - HTC Thunderbolt - galaxy nexus

Couldn't you just take the 4G sim card out?

Default The easy way to turn off LTE

Well, we have seen the instructions for turning off LTE that involve dialing that wacky "*#*#4636#*#*" code in the dialer. But how about an app to do it. Your wish is my command. Here is a apk that is a shortcut to that hidden panel. I downloaded it from the market when I had my EVO a while back for some reason and I transferred it to my TB, and discovered it leads to the panel to turn off LTE with one tap!. Here ya go!

(I take no credit for this apk)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I should now be referred to as "ThunderMaster"

Quote Originally Posted by l_boogie820 View Post
    NO.... you will get a "SIM CARD NOT FOUND - Emergency calls only" Warning

Is there an app for that? there should be but might not be possible if it requires dialing out like that.

This also disables SVDO correct?

might have to try this soon, any other lab rats lol

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP-JB/CM10

Quote Originally Posted by brum08 View Post
    Do you know if 4636 stands for if anything? Just out of curiosity. Is it like the *#*#CHECKIN#*#* ?
    "INFO"
    this body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
    embrace this moment. remember, we are eternal; all this pain is an illusion.
    Thanked by:
    brum08 

Quote Originally Posted by brum08 View Post
    Yeah, 4636 spells INFO.

Edit: Damn you and your faster typing skills, gotroot801!
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble

-----------------------------------------
    Droid X (Liberty 3 v2.0)
    Droid Incredible (CM 7.2.0 RC1)
    Nook Color w/ 8GB N2A card

Quote Originally Posted by britishturbo View Post
    NO.... you will get a "SIM CARD NOT FOUND - Emergency calls only" Warning
    Not to mention that those little ba***rds are easy to lose.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble

Droid X (Liberty 3 v2.0)
    Droid Incredible (CM 7.2.0 RC1)
    Nook Color w/ 8GB N2A card

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Not to mention that those little ba***rds are easy to lose.
    Haha yeah really... also not the easiest to get out either... And the tray is very delicate.

If anyone doesn't feel comfortable downloading the apk I posted, just search, "network mangelow" in the market and download that. It is identical to what I posted.
    I should now be referred to as "ThunderMaster"
    Thanked by:

ROM
    None

As I understand it the next OTA update will have a switch for the 4G service.

Default Another Way

You can just download the Phone Info App and toggle it via the Phone Information Tab. Just thought everybody should know. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by l_boogie820 View Post
    Who wants to be opening up the phone and taking the 4G card in and out all the time? I live and work in a 4G area and when i'm not doing much with the phone I'd like to be able to disable 4G to save the battery and then switch it back over to 4G when i'm more active on the phone. I certainly wouldn't want to be popping the 4G sim card in and out all the time.

If someone can point me to some docs on how to interact with (enable/disable) the LTE radio, I could whip up a widget.

ROM
    Perfect Storm 1.1

Verizon will be coming out with an update which has a widget built in for a 4G toggle switch in the upcoming months

This works for non rooted tb?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast