Sense keyboard replacements?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
So a short background, if anyone's interested: I've had my Thunderbolt since a couple hours after it was released at my local Best Buy, and I'm loving it. Got the 2750 extended battery, and somewhat surprisingly, I'm loving it as well. I've had way more than enough to get through very long days of fairly heavy usage. The extra "bulk" from the battery's size isn't ridiculous, although it does add to the phone. However, I have found that on multiple occasions that it provided a much more reliable grip on the phone than the stock profile did. No complaints here.

I'd like to keep the Sense launcher/home screens/widgets, but simply replace the keyboard with something... better. In the messaging app, "suggested" words are almost always covering the Send button. I'm getting very frustrated with it.

What sort of options are open as of yet, and what would you all recommend?

chr1sny

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Agreed on the auto-spacing, almost forgot about that. I had a Moto Droid up until now, and the stock keyboard, spacing behavior, and capitalization behavior were all great.

Agreed. My old Droid's keyboard would be perfect on the Thunderbolt. The lack of auto-spacing is especially annoying.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Also miss having "Fwd:" added when I choose to forward a message. Have to go in and add "Fwd:" myself.

I haven't forwarded any messages yet.. that's no good. That was helpful. Prevented a lot of confusion with forwarded messages..

i'm using the swift keyboard. Trail basis for now, but I think I will buy it. It starts the recognize your typing style and guess' what word is coming next.. its pretty accurate to. I like the layout as well.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey is a very good keyboard. It is one that I am using right now. The gingerbread keyboard is also nice and it can be found in XDA.

Sent by my droid

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey is excellent - I can testify to that too.

As to forwarding, I just test forwarded an email and it said Fwd: just as you wanted. The email also is now marked with a forwarded symbol in my email app so I know I forwarded it.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Swype is hands down the best keyboard I've ever used.

You have to check it out. Everyone I have shown it to has converted. It's amazing.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'll definitely check out SwiftKey and Swype. Thanks all. I expected to find Swype as a response, but hadn't seen SwiftKey.

Again, appreciated. And the forwarding issue (rather, lack of an issue) is good to know. Thanks Joelist.

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
The best I've tried, and I believe I've tried virtually all the one's usually mentioned, is Smart Keyboard Pro. I'm loving the HTC Sense keyboard though, compared to using a keyboard on the Droid X. The keys are wider and easier to type with.

zshazz

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
+1 on Smart Keyboard Pro. It also has good support for other languages (Japanese is the one I've tried) and also supports some alternative keyboard layouts (like Dvorak) which is nice to use if you use that on your computer.

devindpotts

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
+1 on Smart Keyboard Pro. It also has good support for other languages (Japanese is the one I've tried) and also supports some alternative keyboard layouts (like Dvorak) which is nice to use if you use that on your computer.

Have you been able to get smart keyboard pro to work on the t bolt? I can't get it to work on.mine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad