Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sense keyboard replacements?

So a short background, if anyone's interested: I've had my Thunderbolt since a couple hours after it was released at my local Best Buy, and I'm loving it. Got the 2750 extended battery, and somewhat surprisingly, I'm loving it as well. I've had way more than enough to get through very long days of fairly heavy usage. The extra "bulk" from the battery's size isn't ridiculous, although it does add to the phone. However, I have found that on multiple occasions that it provided a much more reliable grip on the phone than the stock profile did. No complaints here.

I'd like to keep the Sense launcher/home screens/widgets, but simply replace the keyboard with something... better. In the messaging app, "suggested" words are almost always covering the Send button. I'm getting very frustrated with it.

What sort of options are open as of yet, and what would you all recommend?

I also get annoyed with the send button being cover. Also no auto-spacing.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by want a droid View Post
    I also get annoyed with the send button being cover. Also no auto-spacing.
    Agreed on the auto-spacing, almost forgot about that. I had a Moto Droid up until now, and the stock keyboard, spacing behavior, and capitalization behavior were all great.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenii View Post
    Agreed on the auto-spacing, almost forgot about that. I had a Moto Droid up until now, and the stock keyboard, spacing behavior, and capitalization behavior were all great.
    Agreed. My old Droid's keyboard would be perfect on the Thunderbolt. The lack of auto-spacing is especially annoying.

Also miss having "Fwd:" added when I choose to forward a message. Have to go in and add "Fwd:" myself.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

i'm using the swift keyboard. Trail basis for now, but I think I will buy it. It starts the recognize your typing style and guess' what word is coming next.. its pretty accurate to. I like the layout as well.
    Thanked by 2:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by want a droid View Post
    Also miss having "Fwd:" added when I choose to forward a message. Have to go in and add "Fwd:" myself.
    I haven't forwarded any messages yet.. that's no good. That was helpful. Prevented a lot of confusion with forwarded messages..

Quote Originally Posted by dredizzle View Post
    i'm using the swift keyboard. Trail basis for now, but I think I will buy it. It starts the recognize your typing style and guess' what word is coming next.. its pretty accurate to. I like the layout as well.
    I'll check it out. Thanks.

I am using SwiftKey and like it so far. Its a 30 day free trial and then the auto complete shuts off.

I was told about Swype and so far I like it. Coming from SurePress for Blackberry and I think this is significantly more efficient.

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

SwiftKey is a very good keyboard. It is one that I am using right now. The gingerbread keyboard is also nice and it can be found in XDA.

Sent by my droid
    Rooting comes with great power & great responsibilities.

Global Posts
    623 Global Posts

SwiftKey is excellent - I can testify to that too.

As to forwarding, I just test forwarded an email and it said Fwd: just as you wanted. The email also is now marked with a forwarded symbol in my email app so I know I forwarded it.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,703 Global Posts

Swype is hands down the best keyboard I've ever used.

You have to check it out. Everyone I have shown it to has converted. It's amazing.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I'll definitely check out SwiftKey and Swype. Thanks all. I expected to find Swype as a response, but hadn't seen SwiftKey.

Again, appreciated. And the forwarding issue (rather, lack of an issue) is good to know. Thanks Joelist.

The best I've tried, and I believe I've tried virtually all the one's usually mentioned, is Smart Keyboard Pro. I'm loving the HTC Sense keyboard though, compared to using a keyboard on the Droid X. The keys are wider and easier to type with.

ROM
    Das BAMF 1.4

+1 on Smart Keyboard Pro. It also has good support for other languages (Japanese is the one I've tried) and also supports some alternative keyboard layouts (like Dvorak) which is nice to use if you use that on your computer.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.6.32.21

I'm using the Gingerbread Keyboard by Steven Lin found in the Market
    Former CrackBerry abuser. Running Android since February 24, 2011.
    HTC Thunderbolt running Adrynalyne's Basic Debloat

I couldn't get gingerbread keyboard to work on mine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

is there something like the surepress blackberry storm keyboard available?

Quote Originally Posted by zshazz View Post
    +1 on Smart Keyboard Pro. It also has good support for other languages (Japanese is the one I've tried) and also supports some alternative keyboard layouts (like Dvorak) which is nice to use if you use that on your computer.
    Have you been able to get smart keyboard pro to work on the t bolt? I can't get it to work on.mine.

ROM
    Das BAMF 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by devindpotts View Post
    Have you been able to get smart keyboard pro to work on the t bolt? I can't get it to work on.mine.
    I've had no problems with it. If you'd like to PM me and discuss what's going on with your device, feel free.
    Thanked by:

I use both smart keyboard and slide it thanks to keyboard manager

Sent from my "Fast Don't Lie" Thunderbolt 4G

I like the original keyboard as well with the few exceptions of the suggestion in the way of send. Also I'm not a fan of the predictive suggestions but I would like to have spell check? Where I can just click the word and give me suggestions kind of like blackberry.

Lumenii,

I just recently asked this in another thread (think it was extended battery one)...I ve noticed how the thunderbolt is slippery as well, how much more of a grip does the extended battery give? Also does that extended battery door create some room under the phone possibly to get the angled charger port under while using the kickstand?

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

SwiftKey is my favorite, after using it for a while it does a great job of predicting my sentences.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by gerardv514 View Post
    Lumenii,

I just recently asked this in another thread (think it was extended battery one)...I ve noticed how the thunderbolt is slippery as well, how much more of a grip does the extended battery give? Also does that extended battery door create some room under the phone possibly to get the angled charger port under while using the kickstand?
    The extended battery door provides, for me, just enough for my index finger to grip above the door and just enough for my pinky below the door. Not enough for the whole finger, but enough to keep the phone from sliding forward or backward in my hand.

The door adds thickness, but after about two days you'll get used to it. I definitely did. Sadly, however, the issue of charging while using the kickstand shows no change.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast