Urgent: Google Maps not working!

jrmarinojr

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So this is very strange. My google maps will not pinpoint my location (except within 600 meters which is pointless). I have GPS on, and I checked every box in the "location" settings. Here's where it gets strange - when I turn on WiFi, google maps pinpoints my location to within 30 meters. This occurs even if I'm not connected to a network yet just simply have WiFi turned on! Is anyone else having this problem??? I'm hopeing its a google maps issue with the tbolt and not my phone! PLEASE help!!

irishleo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Do a hard reset. Pull the battery for 30 seconds. I had some very minor issues launch day. I did a pull and it cleared everything up. No complaints at all now

jrmarinojr

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
That's doesn't make sense though - I'm not even connected to a WiFi network, I just have it turned on! Plus, every other phone that uses google maps gets the location pinpointed within 5 meters with just the wireless network connection. What gives?

irishleo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Also, go to the market and download "GPS" test. Turn off your WIFI and run the app. See how many satellites your phone is pulling in. I pull 13 very quickly

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I would clear data in cache in the application settings then force close Google maps and see if that works.

sent from my Thunderbolt

earsly

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a google maps problem as well. On my fascinate, there was a blue arrow that you press to get turn by turn navigation. On the thunderbolt, I can't find the blue arrow can I can't find the option for turn by turn navigation. I have all the GPS boxes checked. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
just tested mine on both wifi and 4G, everything working perfect in fact my 4G got me about 25 meters closer than my wifi, my wifi was accurate to 40 meters, whereas the 4G placed me right on my street

dslayton

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this helps, but my first initial run with Google Maps, it took a long time to fully locate me. If I remember correctly, it was somewhere within the 30 minutes range. I was in a 4G coverage area, but eventually it got an lock on me. I've never had that problem again.

irishleo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I only have 3g, I'm no where near 4g locations. I get pin point location with 3g and no WIFI on. My Fascinate sucked with GPS, major issues. If you try the GPS test from the market, you should be able to see if it is a signal issue. Like I said, I am only on 3g and pull 13 in view quickly

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I only have 3g, I'm no where near 4g locations. I get pin point location with 3g and no WIFI on. My Fascinate sucked with GPS, major issues. If you try the GPS test from the market, you should be able to see if it is a signal issue. Like I said, I am only on 3g and pull 13 in view quickly

That's one of the biggest reasons I dumped my captivate. Never buying another Samsung device.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reactions: irishleo