So I emailed HTC regarding the battery life...

Status
Not open for further replies.

withravenoushunger

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
They sent me this

"Please bear in mind that when you first start using your device that the self management features that are built into the Android OS have to learn your usage habits and then adjust themselves accordingly. This process can take a few days to a few weeks depending on the individual. Once this process has been completed, there is a much different battery life experience. If this process does take an excessive amount of time, then that may indicate that there are software issues. "

No exactly sure what they mean by that but my battery life does seem to have improved a bit since the first day I bought it.

Reactions: lovy

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
They sent me this

"Please bear in mind that when you first start using your device that the self management features that are built into the Android OS have to learn your usage habits and then adjust themselves accordingly. This process can take a few days to a few weeks depending on the individual. Once this process has been completed, there is a much different battery life experience. If this process does take an excessive amount of time, then that may indicate that there are software issues. "

No exactly sure what they mean by that but my battery life does seem to have improved a bit since the first day I bought it.

thats pretty cool. iv been seeing improved life as well without much tweaking.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
you have to call and *****!!!! this was made with the incredible and a bunch of people got half the price or even free extended batteries. but u cant call yet i dont think there selling extended ones for the tb just yet

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
They sent me this

That is so sweet, so my battery and phone want to get to know me better before they are willing to give of themselves completely to me? ;)

Well, I guess my phone and I are a compatible match, because my battery life today (on day 5) is MORE THAN TWICE what it was on our first date. :D

Heck, 5 days, that's a whole lot faster than it took my wife to give HERSELF completely to me. ;)

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
That is so sweet, so my battery and phone want to get to know me better before they are willing to give of themselves completely to me? ;)

Well, I guess my phone and I are a compatible match, because my battery life today (on day 5) is MORE THAN TWICE what it was on our first date. :D

Heck, 5 days, that's a whole lot faster than it took my wife to give HERSELF completely to me. ;)

ROTFLMAO.......That was GREAT.

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I would use the following analogy: Say you get a new car without a traditional gas gauge. Instead, the car tracks the number of gallons of gas put into the tank, then (like many new cars do) does an instant fuel economy estimate. The first day you put in 10 gallons. The you do a lot of highway driving and the car estimates 27 MPG. The next day you put in 10 gallons, but now you're doing a lot of stop and go and idling. You're going to run out of gas FAR before going 270 miles as you did the previous day. After a week or so, the car has an average mileage of 21MPG, and you can reasonable expect that to hold true.

I think that's what HTC is saying to you. It takes the OS a few days to gather information on how the battery performs in different situations before it begins to accurately predict battery life.

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
They sent me this

I noticed a huge difference in battery life which is for the better, I even started letting certain things sync that I stopped initially due to battery dying quickly, and so far so good.

Last edited:

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

lmao! cute

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
you have to call and *****!!!! this was made with the incredible and a bunch of people got half the price or even free extended batteries. but u cant call yet i dont think there selling extended ones for the tb just yet
They are. I ordered two today from VZW.

-Frank

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
They sent me this

This sounds kinda shaky to me. Call me skeptical. Sounds like they wanted to appease you. Don't get me wrong, I can believe there is some sort of historical "learning" going on, but I don't really believe it is that good. I mean, who of us exhibits their "normal" usage habits during the first couple of weeks with the phone? No one! So... if it learned all this stuff during the first few weeks, it would be wrong for the remainder of your 2 year contract. :) At least in my case it would.

-Frank

androidburn

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I've also gotten much better results. On day one my phone died with minimal use after 9 hours of mostly standby. Now it dies after 9 hours with moderate 4G usage.

It takes one with the brains of a camel to figure out that if people thought the EVO's battery life was terrible with a 1500mAh battery that putting in a 1400mAh battery wasn't going to make life any easier. Instead, it forced everyone to spend an extra $50 to buy an extended battery that makes the phone look like a camel and almost as heavy, lol. One can only wonder whether this "oversight" was deliberate.

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Would one have to call HTC or Verizon to complain about the battery, and possibly get the 1/2 off or even a free battery? I'm on day 2 and my phone seemed like it died way quicker today than day one. I've added the brightness and power widgets to my main homescreen to help toggle power settings, so we'll see with day 3.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
This sounds kinda shaky to me. Call me skeptical. Sounds like they wanted to appease you. Don't get me wrong, I can believe there is some sort of historical "learning" going on, but I don't really believe it is that good. I mean, who of us exhibits their "normal" usage habits during the first couple of weeks with the phone? No one! So... if it learned all this stuff during the first few weeks, it would be wrong for the remainder of your 2 year contract. :) At least in my case it would.

-Frank
Supposedly Android itself has a pretty smart battery management system, which DOES adjust for usage. Without any usage to look at, of course battery life will suck at first.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been tracking device activity with the system panel application. It tracks app usage, battery condition, and CPU activity over time. I've learned a couple useful things:

1) NONE of the bloatware is using any CPU cycles, with the exception of Rhapsody (which I use so it's not bloatware to me). So, cityid, bitbop, and the rest may be annoying, but they're not hurting battery life

2) The News widget is a (relative) battery hog, compared to friendstream, mail, and other HTC apps. I'm keeping it, but doing updates manually.

3) it's all about the screen and 4G. battery life declines faster when the screen brightness is higher (SHOCKING), and when I'm off wifi and on 4G (nice thing about living in NJ...we get pretty much full 4G coverage).

The screen I can manage...I set the brightness widget to do 0%, 10%, 30%, and auto. The 4G...well, it's why I bought the phone.

Right now at 6 hours and 70% battery life left. screen at 10% and using wifi. I'm good with this...but spare standard battery arrives wednesday.

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Quantify,

You say you've set the brightness widget to 0 10 30 and auto...which widget is this? Because I used the one that HTC provides and there is only 3 settings. Reason why I ask is because I would like to set the 1st setting a little lower in terms of brightness than the default.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been tracking device activity with the system panel application. It tracks app usage, battery condition, and CPU activity over time. I've learned a couple useful things:

1) NONE of the bloatware is using any CPU cycles, with the exception of Rhapsody (which I use so it's not bloatware to me). So, cityid, bitbop, and the rest may be annoying, but they're not hurting battery life

Eh. One of the processes that provides updates for Blockbuster was, but it wouldn't be identifiable as Blockbuster.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Quantify,

You say you've set the brightness widget to 0 10 30 and auto...which widget is this? Because I used the one that HTC provides and there is only 3 settings. Reason why I ask is because I would like to set the 1st setting a little lower in terms of brightness than the default.

I use Power Control Plus, downloaded from the market. Really handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.