1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how to move apps to SD card

can someone explain to me how to move apps and files to the SD card instead of saving it to the internal storage of the phone

Quote Originally Posted by rob51821 View Post
    can someone explain to me how to move apps and files to the SD card instead of saving it to the internal storage of the phone
    First, unless you have a very large app installed from the market (a GPS app that includes maps, for instance) I wouldn't bother. The internal memory on the Thunderbolt is faster than the SD card, and there is MORE than enough space for apps on this phone.

If you still want to do this, you can go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications. Click on an app in the list, and if it can be moved to the SC card (not all applications can) there will be a button that says "Move to SD Card"

Again, this isn't necessary, and it's probably going to impact the speed of the phone in a negative way, but that's how you do it.
    Please Thank me or Add to my Reputation if I've helped you!
    Thanked by 2:
    AlmaBill484 

Quote Originally Posted by leehblanc View Post
    First, unless you have a very large app installed from the market (a GPS app that includes maps, for instance) I wouldn't bother. The internal memory on the Thunderbolt is faster than the SD card, and there is MORE than enough space for apps on this phone.

If you still want to do this, you can go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications. Click on an app in the list, and if it can be moved to the SC card (not all applications can) there will be a button that says "Move to SD Card"

Again, this isn't necessary, and it's probably going to impact the speed of the phone in a negative way, but that's how you do it.
    Hi Leehblanc, but suppose your phone need a manufacturers reset wont you lose apps that are not moved to SD card? (sorry if this is a dumb question)

Quote Originally Posted by lovy View Post
    Hi Leehblanc, but suppose your phone need a manufacturers reset wont you lose apps that are not moved to SD card? (sorry if this is a dumb question)
    Actually, it's a very good question, and the answer is yes. On the plus side, many apps like Keyring Rewards and Foursquare save your information on their servers once you sign in to an account. I don't know about the security of Keyring Rewards, but if someone hacks my account I really don't mind them using my Shoprite Plus card and earning me a free Turkey at Christmas.

All levity aside, there are apps on the market that will back up the data on your phone. My personal favorite is Titanium backup, but it requires root access. No offense at all, but I'm not familiar with the others (maybe someone else can chime in) and I don't think you're quite ready for rooting yet. When you are, I (or another member, I'm sure) will be more than willing to help.
    Thanked by:
    lovy 

Actually, it's a very good question, and the answer is yes. On the plus side, many apps like Keyring Rewards and Foursquare save your information on their servers once you sign in to an account. I don't know about the security of Keyring Rewards, but if someone hacks my account I really don't mind them using my Shoprite Plus card and earning me a free Turkey at Christmas.

All levity aside, there are apps on the market that will back up the data on your phone. My personal favorite is Titanium backup, but it requires root access. No offense at all, but I'm not familiar with the others (maybe someone else can chime in) and I don't think you're quite ready for rooting yet. When you are, I (or another member, I'm sure) will be more than willing to help.
    I just don't want to have to pay for games and anything else that I purchased on the market all over again. I loved itunes because i never had to re purchase anything as long as I did syncs.

You will not have to repay for apps even if they aren't on your sd card. They are tagged to you through your gmail and will always show up in the market as "purchased" under "my apps" you can simply just reinstall without a fee.
    Thanked by 2:
    Almalovy 

Quote Originally Posted by lovy View Post
    I just don't want to have to pay for games and anything else that I purchased on the market all over again. I loved itunes because i never had to re purchase anything as long as I did syncs.
    Ah... the most you would have to worry about is any saved games or information contained in the apps. Paid apps are linked to your Google account. Once you sign in on a new or replacement device, go to the Market, press Menu, then press My Apps. Any paid apps will be there waiting for you to install again, free of (another) charge
    Thanked by 3:

Thank you both so much that's wonderful to know. I just told my 13 year old that has the Dinc he thought he lost all of his games. Somehow his phone did a hard restart on it's own I had to reactivate it as if I just purchased it.

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

Backup, available in the Market does an exceptional job of backing up apps, settings and data to sd or cloud.
    -----------------------------------------------
    The brightest Thunder-Bolt is elicited from the darkest Storm. Charles Caleb Colton ...
    Thanked by:
    lovy 

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.10

Ah... the most you would have to worry about is any saved games or information contained in the apps. Paid apps are linked to your Google account. Once you sign in on a new or replacement device, go to the Market, press Menu, then press My Apps. Any paid apps will be there waiting for you to install again, free of (another) charge
    Ok, paid apps will always be downloadable, but what about free apps that were originally downloaded from the Market, but the Market no longer has them available?

I have searched for a couple of apps that are no longer available from the Market. Swype was one and I forget the other. I was eventually able to get Swype from the swype.com website, but the point is that the Market does not always continue to carry apps.

Wouldn't it make sense to backup apps to another storage device, just in case a reset is required after the Market stops carrying your free apps?

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

what if your phone never came with a sd card???

Default Re: how to move apps to SD card

can someone help me please. im trying to download an app which is about 25 something mb and i have 7 gb free in my phone but when i try to download the app it says there in insuffiecient memory in my device. help please

and when i tried downloading an app 17mb, it was downloaded but then it said internal memory is low

all my games are saved on the sd card but facebook, whatsapp, camea360 and a flashlight are only saved in my intenal memory. this is stupid whats the point of an 8gb sd card when it doesnt save your apps to the sd card. please

pluse i have no idea how to use this website or whatever it is... if its possible can anyone private msg it to me and post it here

let me know asap people xxx

That's why I like the galaxy nexus no sd card(pain moving apps)