Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verdict: using blackberry pwr charger

I've seen post that say you should only use HTC's charger. Than I've seen post that say all chargers are universal now a days. So can I use the blackberry ad charger with the thunderbolt. I would like to use that while I'm at work and the HTC one while I'm home for overnight charging

I used the Kindle charged last night and am using the Logitech (wireless mouse) charger now. It seems to be working.

You can use any microusb charger.

I use my Blackberry USB cable at work, my Incredible charger at home, and I use my Kindle charger on my couch no problems.
    Device history:
    Storm 1 > Tour > Droid > Droid Incredible > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Motorola Razr HD MAXX & Nexus 7

I tried using one of my generic ones that I used to use on my old phone, and whenever I plug it into my TBolt, the touchscreen does not work. I took it out, plugged in the HTC charger and everything was working. I thought it was kind of weird. Needless to say, I won't be using that charger again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecaidrake View Post
    I use my Blackberry USB cable at work, my Incredible charger at home, and I use my Kindle charger on my couch no problems.
    I use my BlackBerry charger at work also. I use an LG enV2 charger in my bedroom at night.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ok seems like others are using it as well. I just want to make sure burning out the phone or battery would result from using a different charger. I've used the blackberry charger at the wife's house and it worked with no problems. Just dont know about the long term effects.

I've used my Blackberry car charger and usb wall charger both are working fine. I did read a post this morn that warned against this but since the clerk at VZW told me I could use my BB charger w/o a problem I'm at this point trusting this and it will be VZW's fault if something goes wrong and I have to hit up my insurance to replace my Bolt. I was told not so long ago by another VZW clerk that all the newer chargers are universal.

I *think* I remember there was even a law passed on it and all the companies had to be compliant by X date. Not only was it ridiculous to have to buy new chargers every time you got a new phone, all these freaking chargers have to go somewhere and so it's causing an environmental problem because people aren't disposing of them properly (don't have a clue what properly for this kind of hardware would be though).
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 1.5R / leanKernel

The only compliance required is is that manufactures use the micro-usb plug/receptacle on their devices for greater compatibility. There can be however difference in the power fed by these power adapters.

The HTC charger that came with the Thunderbolt is an A/C to D/C converter that outputs 5V (volts) at 1000mAh (milli-amp/hour). 1000mAh is also expressed as 1Ah (amp/hour) as is takes 1000 milli-amps to make 1 amp.

What is boils down to is understand what will cause harm or will cause insufficient performance.
    --- Do not use an adapter rated for more than 5V as it could cause harm and using an adapter rated for less than 5V may not provide a full charge.
    --- Using an adapter rated for less than 1Ah will work, but may not charge the phone very quickly and if too low it wont provide enough current to offset power draw leading to continued (but slowed) battery drain.
    --- Using an adapter with too much current, say greater than 1.2Ah will cause additional excess heat and could damage hardware over the long term.

Any micro-usb charger will work. As long as it is rated for 5V and is between 800mAh and 1200mAh. Most cellphone charges, especially for recent smart phones, will be with in those specs.
    Cars, Technology, and Stogies ... All the fine things in life.
    Thanked by 4:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Mustang,

Great insight of how it works. When I go home later I will research what those specs are on the blackberry power charger.

Thanks

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

I have only used my BB charger. ( that is what was already plugged in.) I have had no problems. I use the HTC usb at work tethered to my computer to "bump" charge throughout the day. I don't know what they build these schools out of, but 3G or 4G isn't making it through the walls anywhere in the building!

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

Agreed. Any charger will work BUT perhaps not to HTC "standards".. Used my Moto X charger on the TB and screen became "laggy"...
    Plugged in the HTC branded one with no issues.

ya i use my lg dare chargers at the house and the htc charger at work. no problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
    I used the Kindle charged last night and am using the Logitech (wireless mouse) charger now. It seems to be working.
    I have actually only used my kindle charger to charge this phone. I have one at the house and one at the office and it works just great for me. I probably wont use an HTC charger untill they come out with the docking station and I then use the charger we got with the phone to plug that in.

I have a BB charger at work and at home. They both work well with the Tbolt

I used a BB charger with my Bolt and I took forever to charge. I am now going to be throwing that charger into my car just in case I need to use it in an emergency. (granted it was only a 500mA charger) Now I need to look around all of my other BB chargers and see if and are rated higher to work better with this beast.

The below information gets somewhat technical, so here's the quick summary: If the charger (which is actually just a simple power adapter) is not a piece of junk, the phone will not be damaged by it.

First of all, the charging is controlled by the phone and circuitry inside the battery to ensure safe operation. Lithium Ion batteries can become very dangerous if not charged properly.

The thing you plug into the wall is just a power adapter that turns AC into 5V DC and puts it over a USB interface. It has little to no intelligence, other than possibly some safety features and circuitry to decrease power consumption.

If you hear of a micro USB "charger" frying the phone, then it was putting out the wrong voltage. This is most likely to happen with the cheap $5 unbranded "chargers", such as some found online.

If you have a power adapter that came with any other phone, or a reputable retailer that wasn't extremely cheap, it should be high quality and will be very unlikely to fry the phone unless it has been damaged or is simply defective.

If the voltage from the power adapter is wrong (too low or too high): This can potentially damage the phone and/or battery

Regarding the current (mA) rating:
    • Too low - phone will charge slowly or not at all
    • Too high - phone should only draw what it needs. No damage will occur if everything is designed properly. Charging current decreases as the battery charge level increases, so no power adapter runs for its specified maximum current levels for the entire duration of the charging process.

As stated earlier, the OEM adapter is rated at 1,000mA (1A) 5VDC. The spec for USB is 5V, and the standard current is 500mA. If you plug your phone into your computer to charge, it is most likely getting no more than 500mA. That's why it charges slowly from a PC.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jim302 View Post
    As stated earlier, the OEM adapter is rated at 1,000mA (1A) 5VDC. The spec for USB is 5V, and the standard current is 500mA. If you plug your phone into your computer to charge, it is most likely getting no more than 500mA. That's why it charges slowly from a PC.
    Am I correct in saying that charging a phone using a car charger is similar to charging the phone through a computer? Both put out lower than normal mAh and therefore the phone charges more slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt_of_Thunder View Post
    Am I correct in saying that charging a phone using a car charger is similar to charging the phone through a computer? Both put out lower than normal mAh and therefore the phone charges more slowly.
    I think that depends on the car charger. Mine puts out about 1300mAh and charges the phone faster than it would if I was plugged into the house. I prefer the higher mAh car chargers anyways because when my battery dies in the car I need a decent charge more rapidly then I would if I am say, at home or at the office with my A/C wall charger handy.

I'm guessing most car chargers aren't rated that high in mAh. Where did you get your 1300 mAh charger?

Go Wireless about 2 years ago I believe. I treat the thing like a baby because I haven't been able to find one since, and if this one breaks I'm out a wicked fast charger. That being said I have not done very much internet surfing to try to find another. Basically every time I go into the store to try and see if they have those chargers they tell me that I should just get a power inverter and use an A/C charger while in my car if this one breaks... They are on to something I think haha
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by itstheAtomBomb View Post
    I think that depends on the car charger. Mine puts out about 1300mAh and charges the phone faster than it would if I was plugged into the house. I prefer the higher mAh car chargers anyways because when my battery dies in the car I need a decent charge more rapidly then I would if I am say, at home or at the office with my A/C wall charger handy.
    According to what was stated earlier if this phone is rated for 1000mah wouldn't 1300 be over doing it and possibly fry the phone?

Ok, I wish people would stop saying that you can't use different manufacturers micro USB chargers for other phones. I hope that this will put this to rest.

All mobile phone chargers are made to USB specs. If they are not made to specs, you can't use the USB connector and/or the USB logo. There are some conditions where they will allow the use of a USB connector on a device that requires more power than what the USB can deliver BUT an additional power supply must be used in conjunction (non USB connector) with the USB wire OR a dual head USB cable so that the device that requires more current can draw the additional current from a second USB port. NO manufacturer can make a USB charger or port that can exceed the MAX voltage and/or MAX current of the USB spec. What does this mean? It means that depending on what charger you use, it will charge your phone a little slower if it's a lower current one then the original manufacturer of the device.

If the phone is rated for 1000 mah and the charger is putting out 1300 mah, then phone will only draw what it needs, it will not take the full 1300 mah. It's more of the voltage you need to keep an eye out for.

This is from:

Power
    In Battery Charging Specification, new powering modes are added to the USB specification. A host or hub Charging Downstream Port can supply a maximum of 1.5 A when communicating at low-bandwidth or full-bandwidth, a maximum of 900 mA when communicating at high-bandwidth, and as much current as the connector will safely handle when no communication is taking place; USB 2.0 standard-A connectors are rated at 1500 mA by default. A Dedicated Charging Port can supply a maximum of 1.8 A of current at 5.25 V. A portable device can draw up to 1.8 A from a Dedicated Charging Port. The Dedicated Charging Port shorts the D+ and D- pins with a resistance of at most 200 Ω. The short disables data transfer, but allows devices to detect the Dedicated Charging Port and allows very simple, high current chargers to be manufactured. The increased current (faster, 9 W charging) will occur once both the host/hub and devices support the new charging specification.

Mobile device charger standards
    As of June 14, 2007, all new mobile phones applying for a license in China are required to use the USB port as a power port. This was the first standard to use the convention of shorting D+ and D-.

In September 2007, the Open Mobile Terminal Platform group—a forum of mobile network operators and manufacturers such as Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, Sony Ericsson and LG—announced that its members had agreed on micro-USB as the future common connector for mobile devices.

On February 17, 2009, the GSM Association (GSMA) announced that they had agreed on a standard charger for mobile phones. The standard connector to be adopted by 17 manufacturers including Nokia, Motorola and Samsung is to be the micro-USB connector (several media reports erroneously reported this as the mini-USB). The new chargers will be much more efficient than existing chargers. Having a standard charger for all phones means that manufacturers will no longer have to supply a charger with every new phone. The basis of the GSMA's Universal Charger Solution (UCS) is the technical recommendation from OMTP and the USB-IF battery charging standard.

On April 22, 2009, this was further endorsed by the CTIA – The Wireless Association.

In June 2009, many of the world's largest mobile phone manufacturers signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), agreeing to make most data-enabled mobile phones marketed in the European Union compatible with a common External Power Supply (EPS) based on the GSMA / OMTP Universal Charging Solution.

On October 22, 2009 the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) announced that it had embraced the Universal Charger Solution as its "energy-efficient one-charger-fits-all new mobile phone solution", and added: "Based on the Micro-USB interface, UCS chargers will also include a 4-star or higher efficiency rating—up to three times more energy-efficient than an unrated charger."

Well I'm not entirely sure... All the phones that I have used this charger on have been fine, as I don't charge the phone daily with this charger... I understand what you are saying dmcman about the phone only drawing out what it needs, but why would the phone charge faster on this charger vs other chargers? I have done time trials (I know I have no life) between this charger and other car chargers and this one charges about 10-15% faster than the others... Either way I love my super charger :P

Quote Originally Posted by itstheAtomBomb View Post
    Well I'm not entirely sure... All the phones that I have used this charger on have been fine, as I don't charge the phone daily with this charger... I understand what you are saying dmcman about the phone only drawing out what it needs, but why would the phone charge faster on this charger vs other chargers? I have done time trials (I know I have no life) between this charger and other car chargers and this one charges about 10-15% faster than the others... Either way I love my super charger :P
    If the current on your other chargers you are using that charge slower is lower than the one that charges faster, that's your answer. Less current, longer the charge time.

Now there are debates out there saying that using a lower current to charge the battery will conserver the life of the battery where as charging it with a higher current charger that the battery is specified for can decrease the life of the battery...that's a whole new topic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast