Is there anyone who doesn't experience headphone hiss and if so what are you using ?

far_star

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
It is documented that this phone can exhibit hiss when using headphones. Some seem to have it and some do not. Enabling hearing-aid mode seems unacceptable to me as you loose volume controls.

If HTC plans to fix this with an update then they need to say so.

For those of you who do not have any hiss, what headphone/earbuds are you using ?

Last edited:

AlpineM3#AC

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Are you referring to listening to just music or when talking to people? I have Apple headphone's that i've been having problems with. I use to be able to chat with people while driving using my DInc, but now they wont work with the TB......I can hear them fine (no hissing), but they can't hear me. Thoughts anybody?

far_star

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to listening to just music or when talking to people? I have Apple headphone's that i've been having problems with. I use to be able to chat with people while driving using my DInc, but now they wont work with the TB......I can hear them fine (no hissing), but they can't hear me. Thoughts anybody?

I am only trying to listen to music/play games, etc. No phone calls.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am only trying to listen to music/play games, etc. No phone calls.

I use an end to end to connect to my car's aux connection for playing music on the TB sdcard on the car system and I use the Shure e530's earbuds for direct in ear playing. No problem with either, works just fine.

R

HiPower

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
At home, I'll use my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm for music. No hiss, very clean sound. They're over the ear cans I use at night when everyone else is asleep.

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just tested Angry Birds and a couple of songs through the Music app with a pair of cheap Audio-Technica earbuds. Didn't get any hissing or other unusual sounds.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
With ipod headphones i have alot of hiss when the phone plays a notification sound or ringtone, and less noticeable hissing with youtube videos or mp3s. with another pair of earbuds the noise is still there but a little less pronounced.

edit
I think it's the phone's amplifier. the hiss turns on and off with applications' usage of sound. Maybe nicer headphones would filter the noise out? Or maybe an update would lessen that sound. I dont know

Last edited:

zshazz

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I just want to throw this out there: When music is playing, I really can't hear any hiss. The sound of the music drowns it out. However, when there is silence (or just after the music is paused/stopped), you can hear the hiss. You can also hear when the audio circuit turns off because it will all of the sudden become perfectly silent.

I think it will also depend on background noise. If you're in a noisy setting, you'll be less likely to notice it. If you're using ear buds or headphones that don't close you off to external sound, it will also make it less noticeable.

zshazz

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Maybe nicer headphones would filter the noise out?

I would think the exact opposite would be true. Better headphones usually have a more accurate reproduction of the sound. That is, what you hear is closer to what the sound source is.

So if you have some cheap headphones you probably won't notice it (or you might not hear it from how the headphones normally represent the sound from any source).

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I hear the hiss with both HTC headphones and Skullcandy headphones. When music is playing, it is mostly drowned out. But when I pause the music, the hiss will go for about 3 seconds and then there is a little pop and it goes away. I wonder if it's only on some phones and not others? It kind of drives me crazy. (I should mention that I hear the hiss with the stock music player and Pandora).

Forkmachine

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The hiss has to do with the combination of HTC's headphone amp and your headphones' impedance. Some expensive headphones have too low of impedance for the phone (as is my case) so even they will hiss.

There is a fix for this, in addition to getting different, higher impedance headphones. I discussed this in my previous post here.

solorca

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The hiss has to do with the combination of HTC's headphone amp and your headphones' impedance. Some expensive headphones have too low of impedance for the phone (as is my case) so even they will hiss.

There is a fix for this, in addition to getting different, higher impedance headphones. I discussed this in my previous post here.
I know this thread is a little old, but after getting my FOURTH Droid Incredible 2, I am convinced that this is something that is present in all models, but certain people either don't hear it or are not using headphones that accentuate it.

I only use in-ear headphones, and it is extremely noticable. Sure, I could probably use another kind of headphone, but I don't think I should have to do that to make my a $600 piece of electronics work as expected.

I have decided to just stick with the phone and suck it up until a new phone comes out (I'm out of contract, so I can just on any new phone that interests me). From looking around online, there are posts similar to this about every HTC phone, so it appears to be a problem with their phones in general.

Quite sad, as they make a good product otherwise.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a wide variety of headphones I use (long story) all fairly cheap (under $60) and all work fine, no hiss at all. I would go down to your Verizon store and ask to test out some of the headphones they have there before you buy. If you explain the problem, they should let you try some out first.

zog1977

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
It is documented that this phone can exhibit hiss when using headphones. Some seem to have it and some do not. Enabling hearing-aid mode seems unacceptable to me as you loose volume controls.

If HTC plans to fix this with an update then they need to say so.

For those of you who do not have any hiss, what headphone/earbuds are you using ?

documented? first i have heard about this.

no hiss hear, tried with 4 different set of headphones, ranging from cheap to decent headphones

as usual, my tb is near perfect!

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I was pleasantly surprised back when I first tried mine because you computer does it and its annoying, no hiss here.