Adjusting to keyboard

abanytime

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, BB user here contemplating the leap to the Thunderbolt. I played with it a bit in the store and really like the interface. I had trouble with the onscreen keyboard - I kept hitting the key below the one I wanted. Is this a learning thing coming to a touch keyboard? Any keyboard replacements that would help this?

Any other former BB users experience this?

Thanks for any input.

superskaterxes

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i made a huge thread about this a few months ago. im HATING this new stupid on screen keyboard. i was waiting for the merge forever but it never showed so i settled on this. im still debating whether to keep it or not.

Reactions: abanytime

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I've gone from an iOS keyboard to a blackberry storm piece of crap to an nv2 to an nv3 (in no particular order) in the past 3 years. Let me tell you that this one feels fairly nice. It might also be because I'm coming off a storm. Anyway I've discovered that even though every keyboard is different they can all be comfortable and efficient given some time to adjust to them. That's just me though.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, BB user here contemplating the leap to the Thunderbolt. I played with it a bit in the store and really like the interface. I had trouble with the onscreen keyboard - I kept hitting the key below the one I wanted. Is this a learning thing coming to a touch keyboard? Any keyboard replacements that would help this?

Any other former BB users experience this?

Thanks for any input.
On the off chance that yours actually is calibrated wrong, why don't you run the keyboard calibration program and make sure it is adjusted properly?

Menu | Settings | Language & Keyboard | Touch Input | Text Input | Calibration Tool.

-Frank

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually starting to get used to it, coming from a blackberry bold. I still hit wrong letters every here and there, but I may need to recalibrate as I get more used to the keyboard.

itsdollar

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
After emails, texts and replying to forums this keyboard is comfortable. I also took the on screen tutorial just to see and it actually helped. The 4.3 inch screen makes it that much better.

dizlmonsta

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I liked using the BB for its texting capabilities... but that's about it. Honestly, the browsing experience is so much better on the TB (or any 4.3" screen phone really).

I can't type nearly as fast with the touch screen. But, it has some nice features -- auto-suggest works well and saves time once you get used to using it. It's easier to type in landscape mode as well. Lastly, the Google Voice input works pretty good, letting me avoid typing altogether in some cases. It becomes annoying for long texts, because of misheard words that you have to go back and edit. But for the one-liners, it's golden.

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I only wish Google incorporated a slightly more intelligent word prediction scheme. I remember my ipod would choose which word I meant by factoring which words I type often as opposed to just seeing what words are most closely related.

menji

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
former bb user, i'm enjoying the transition. typing a tad slower, but it comes with the territory on learning a new device. very well worth the jump.

abanytime

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
On the off chance that yours actually is calibrated wrong, why don't you run the keyboard calibration program and make sure it is adjusted properly?

Menu | Settings | Language & Keyboard | Touch Input | Text Input | Calibration Tool.

-Frank

Thanks for this. It was actually the display model in the Verizon store, so it could have easily been miscalibrated. I did not think about that possibility at all.

D07#AC

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Former bb user here...surprisingly I thought I was going to hate the on screen keyboard but I find my self really liking it. Especially in landscape mode, I don't think you will have too much trouble adjusting.

superskaterxes

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
someone needs to make a snap on USB keyboard. basically just like any slide out keyboard but it just snaps on like a cover and works via USB or BT. i dont care how thick it made the phone it would be worth it to me.

i want to eat my cake too!!!

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
...It's easier to type in landscape mode as well. ...

For some reason, it took me a while to figure that out.
Though I do most typing and web browsing in landscape now.
Only complaint is that the suggestions sometimes override correctly spelled words with the wrong word, if you don't pay attention to what is highlighted.

One nice part of using the touchscreen keyboard, is that it makes zooming, text highlighting, copy, cursor repositioning, and pasting easier to do, since your hands are already positioned to touch the screen. So many features of the user interface are so useful and easy to use.

Was originally thinking of skipping 1st gen 4G and getting R2D2 Droid 2 instead. Especially for keyboard, thought 3G handset prices would dip, and Star Wars extras. That would have been an EPIC mistake.
4G and TBolt combo are total Zen. Better phones will come, but right here and now, TBolt is all I want.

spartanguy81

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
the swype keyboard is really nice in portrait mode and is easy to type on using only my thumb....in landscape the buttons can be a bit far apart for swyping but its a lot easier to press individual buttons...

ksb63

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Another former bb, loving most things but can't stand predictive text so turned off I just wish could have a spell check run before send like the bb. Type slower now but know that in time speed will come. Just need spell check that works, hate the way it changes correctly spelled words to what it thinks is right.

Reactions: anonymous239411

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Another former bb, loving most things but can't stand predictive text so turned off I just wish could have a spell check run before send like the bb. Type slower now but know that in time speed will come. Just need spell check that works, hate the way it changes correctly spelled words to what it thinks is right.

ksb63,

Coming from blackberry I agree with you. If you ever find a work around that would turn off predictive but give us the spell check option please let me know. I've been researching different keyboards but I got nothing.

samuraifortruth

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Coming to the thunderbolt from bb storm to MOTO Droid one then two I have found this on screen keyboard is the best in my opinion. I have had no problems at all with the thunderbolt keyboard.
Ronin