Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default android noob wifi vs. LTE question

hi everyone. I've been reading several forums and wondered about the point to use WiFi when available instead of 4G LTE.

does this mean that I should use my home secure WiFi connection INSTEAD of the 4G network to get better battery life?

how does this affect text messages and phone calls?
    Nexus Lover

Global Posts
    1,268 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB Build 4

all texts and calls go through the wifi or 1X network. you should use wifi over 4G.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Add me on Google+

Link

i don't have 4g but i do notice wifi gives me an insane increase in battery life.

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP M5

Quote Originally Posted by obidos View Post
    hi everyone. I've been reading several forums and wondered about the point to use WiFi when available instead of 4G LTE.

does this mean that I should use my home secure WiFi connection INSTEAD of the 4G network to get better battery life?

how does this affect text messages and phone calls?
    When to use wifi? well i use my wifi at my place because i get horrid 3g signal and voice quality. The reason is when you have bad signals you're phone uses battery to hold the signal or look for another tower which uses a lot of battery. Using wifi will only require the phone to stay on one signal so it does not use battery to look for another tower and such. And it does not Affect Phone calls nor text messages from what i seen. But if you have 4g LTE faster than you're wifi then nah don't use the wifi, it is totally up to you.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

thanks for the replies! so to be clear, if I'm at home I should use the WiFi and when I'm out and about the 4G will automatically kick in?

edit to add: I'm in Southern Calif in a full 4G area.
    Nexus Lover

Global Posts
    1,268 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB Build 4

yep
    Follow me on Twitter!

Add me on Google+

Link

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

Thanks for starting this thread. I was confused as well. I had no idea calls would come over wifi. Is 4G going to be a continuous longterm battery problem? I'm wondering if the wifi use is a short-term fix? Some people have bad 3G/4G connections in their house; my problem is the opposite. My wireless is spotty.