Can you hear me now?

chrisp95

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok..just picked my phone up from Verizon. They had it all day, trying to match up the problem/ find the commonality between other problem phones (they have 7 other customers now with the same reported problem.)

They have a theory based on location...can everyone here with the problem reply with their respective area codes and prefix codes? (essentially the first 6 digits of your cell number).

I'll pass the prefixes on to the techs, and get back with you

Thanks

PorscheGuy

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Temecula, CA (zip code is 92591) and my phone number is 951-795-xxxx.

Also as an update to my previous posts, I was up in Marine Del Rey for the weekend which has strong 4G (I'm only in 3G here in Temecula). For about the first 2 hours my phone showed 4G but I couldn't use data at all, and then suddenly everything started working on its own without me doing anything. Now that I'm back in Temecula my 3G "seems" a little more consistent today, but I have noticed it dropping out and coming back like before just doesn't seem quite as often, but not sure as I didn't get back until late last night. I also haven't made any calls since getting back to see if the voice problems are still present but I'll update and let you know!

Nidaja

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Outside Cleveland, Ohio; 440_320. My last conversation with tech involved being asked whether I used a case on my phone when these audio issues appear (!) And to mark calls that have issues with ###, and Verizon will be able to track them.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

dwalker

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I had it happen twice on one call after hanging up I had two notifications. Coincidence? My number is 540-271-xxxx

chrisp95

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Update

Ok-- It looks like the theory with the phone numbers is a dead end. The techs were thinking the problem could have been with the calls going through a particular prefix 'switch' location in my area..

The other 7 problem accounts all go through the same prefix switch as my phone does, and given the fact that a couple of the users here with problems are from either Cleveland- or moved from this area, we were thinking there could have been a connection-- but after looking at the various phone numbers everyone here has given---no dice.

As it stands now, the solution/fix rests with the national techs working on the problem. I'm heading in to Verizon tomorrow to switch out sim cards, but as Nidaja did that without solving the problem-- I'm not going to hold my breath that the sim card is the culprit.

My local tech has assured me that they will void the contract and switch me back to my Incredible if I want to do that (even though I'm past the 2 week point). I'm leaning towards keeping the Thunderbolt and hoping a patch eventually goes through that will solve the problem. I can probably live with having to restart the phone when the problem occurs in exchange for the pluses of having 4g and the other features of the Thunderbolt.

It would be really hard to go back to 3g, now that I'm used to this. If I didn't live in an area with really good 4g, it would be a no-brainer and I'd go back to the Incredible.

Last edited:

chrisp95

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ruled Out Causes

Also- today was a bad day for the problem on my phone with 10+ instances and I was able to test a couple of setting changes between calls, with none of them fixing the problem:

It doesn't seem to be a synch problem-- I had the mic problem with all synch/auto synch/background synch settings both turned on and turned off.

I turned off 4g through the 'secret' menu code to no avail-- the problem still occurs under only 3g calls

I also noticed that the screen going into sleep mode isn't the only thing that initiates the problem-- It will also occur when hitting the 'home' key or attempting to switch to any screen other than the call screen.

My opinion is this problem is a little more widespread than originally thought. The percentage of owners with the problem is probably very, very low, but I'm guessing a lot of people either haven't sought help for the problem, or have been turned away/dismissed when contacting Verizon. I'm sure that has to do with the rarity of the problem and not some sort of neglect on the part of Verizon.

With some owners evidently being from outside Ohio, the fact that 7 more phones with the problem showed up over the weekend at my Verizon store alone indicates to me that there HAS to be more people with this problem that aren't being counted. Bear in mind, this is only my opinion and could easily be off base.

chrisp95

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
update

Ok- time for the 'daily' update:

We switched out my sim card yesterday. The techs and I didn't feel that was going to work, but we did it anyways. Well, it didn't work. The problem still exists. So as it stands, 2nd phone, 2nd battery, 2nd sim card, second memory card-- same problem.

We DID get somewhere with it afterwards though (hopefully).

Right after replacing the sim card and doing a complete reset-- As the phone puts you through the initial set up options, I approved the "verizon contacts synch" option, but couldn't approve the "google account setup/synch" immediately, as for some reason my password slipped my mind.

I did a soft reboot to correct the known sim card/text message error, so the phone was JUST reset AND restarted-- which normally means the problem won't occur for a while.

Five minutes later I was on the phone with someone WITHOUT the problem. Five minutes after that, I had my google password and reactivated the google account/synch on the phone. FIVE minutes after that I got a call and the problem occurred. Of course my friend and I called each other back and forth a few times and the problem persisted.

The tech and I talked a couple of hours later and of course we came to the decision to do a complete reset of the phone again, this time NOT reactivating my google account and just to be safe, not approving the Verizon contacts sych. Both of those options can be skipped upon initial phone reset.

I've gone through about 5 or 6 calls so far without a re-occurrence. We're obviously hoping the problem has something to do with the google account/synch. Bear in mind, turning the google sychs off completely in the phones synch settings- didn't work before. This is the first time trying the complete google account setup skip.

Hopefully the theory gets us somewhere, then its just a matter of determining why the google account is affecting only a few Thunderbolts in this way.

If anyone here would like to try the same thing in an effort to get more evidence, it would be great if they could report here on their findings.

Of course it's incredibly inconvenient to not set up the google account. You can't use marketplace, maps, gps, and a whole slew of other features on the phone without the google activation.

For anyone who wants to try. Here are a few things you may want to do first to make things easier:

First of all, a complete phone factory data reset (done under the SD card & phone storage option under the settings menu) should NOT tamper with apps, pictures and most other info STORED on your memory card. When you're doing the reset, it seems to suggest that info will be erased. It seems like only the installed information/apps are erased, but not anything backed up with a back up program, or copied to the card through a computer usb link previously.

Download a backup app from the marketplace, if you don't have one already. I use ASTRO. Backup your apps to the SD card. If you're afraid of losing your photos, back them up to your computer first-- They didn't disappear for me at anytime I've done a reset in the past, but I can't guarantee that.

As for contacts, use your 'people' contacts option/icon and hit the phones menu button-- you'll see an inport/export option. Use that and export your contacts to the SD card. You'll be able to import them the same way after the reset.

There's a work around for retrieving the apps off the sd card, as you won't be able to access the marketplace to redownload any apps.

Setup the phone to allow non market place app installations. I don't know about other backup programs, but I was able to search on the internet for 'astro download' and found several sites where I could download the astro app file directly to the phone. Make sure it's a reputable site though. I just installed astro after the download and was able to re-install my apps from the sd card.

If anyone has a problem with any of this, just ask. Hopefully my instructions aren't confusing.

Last edited:

dwalker

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
solution?

Ok, I may be completely off base here or maybe what was causing my issue is not the same for the rest of you, but I've figured mine out. I'll be on the phone, get a notification that is waking the screen up and hitting the mute button with my face. I was on a call tonight and the problem happened. I could hear them, they could not hear me. I pulled the phone away from my face and pressed the mute button, then got a message that mute was turned off, so it must have been on before pressing. The next time it happens, hit your mute button and see if that solves the issue.

Reactions: FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I may be completely off base here or maybe what was causing my issue is not the same for the rest of you, but I've figured mine out. I'll be on the phone, get a notification that is waking the screen up and hitting the mute button with my face. I was on a call tonight and the problem happened. I could hear them, they could not hear me. I pulled the phone away from my face and pressed the mute button, then got a message that mute was turned off, so it must have been on before pressing. The next time it happens, hit your mute button and see if that solves the issue.
Now this sounds like the voice of reason :)

-Frank

chrisp95

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi-- No the problem we're talking about is not the mute button, but that's probably the first thing Verizon sales people assume the customer is doing wrong. It's much more complicated and advanced than that, but I'm sure it applies to some people with this apparent problem. Thanks for the suggestion

Last edited:

chrisp95

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm gone through close to 15 calls over the past two days without any occurrences of the problem.

Does anyone have a theory as to why having the google account activated on the phone could be initiating this problem on a random basis?

I'm going to have to wait several more days to ensure that is the link to the base problem.

Any theories as to the possibility of pairing a new/different google account to the phone- and if/why that could remove the problem?

I don't see any setting in my google account, when viewed online, that could affect anything with a cell phone being paired with that account

PorscheGuy

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Ah, could it be an issue with SVDO (Simultaneous 3G Voice & Data)? I'm sure that having a Google Account synced causes quite a bit of data to be sent back and forth in the background. I wonder what would happen if you were talking on the phone without a Google Account on the phone like you're trying but started browsing the web, etc...? I wish that I could help test for you but I can't be without a working phone as far as my email account is concerned. :-(

PorscheGuy

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
OK, quick update- Yesterday I was at home on WiFi and talking to my GF and everything was fine. Within a few minutes of turning WiFi off and leaving the house she started complaining about not being able to hear me again and such. Now being the only time I've been in that situation it could have just been a fluke that everything was fine at home with WiFi but just wanted to let you know.

chrisp95

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ah, could it be an issue with SVDO (Simultaneous 3G Voice & Data)? I'm sure that having a Google Account synced causes quite a bit of data to be sent back and forth in the background. I wonder what would happen if you were talking on the phone without a Google Account on the phone like you're trying but started browsing the web, etc...? I wish that I could help test for you but I can't be without a working phone as far as my email account is concerned. :-(
Thanks Marc- I didn't try that without the google account online. That's a good suggestion. I'll try it tonight sometime when I'm on a call and let you know.

chrisp95

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
OK, quick update- Yesterday I was at home on WiFi and talking to my GF and everything was fine. Within a few minutes of turning WiFi off and leaving the house she started complaining about not being able to hear me again and such. Now being the only time I've been in that situation it could have just been a fluke that everything was fine at home with WiFi but just wanted to let you know.
If that wasn't a fluke, it does add weight to your suggestion about data transfer (through the Verizon network not wi-fi) while being on a call with someone, WITH google account activation on the phone.

Bear in mind, I have had the mic issue when my google account was active, but I had all the synch settings set to 'off'-- I think those synch settings on the phone mention the fact that some google synch my still occur on the phone-- even with the sych options turned off. So- theoretically, having the google account completely disabled probably IS the best way to test the 'data transfer through verizon network, while also being connected on a voice call at the same time' theory.

chrisp95

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Quick update--

4 days now without Google activation on the phone after complete phone reset. NO occurrences of the mic problem over that entire period.

Been in contact with Verizon techs several times over the past days and they are having me continue the test and are working themselves on determining how not having google set up could be causing this. Still waiting... But will try Marc's suggestion this evening

chrisp95

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
update

Well, all was for naught. The issue repeated several times today, so I'm at a loss for possible causes at this point.

I wasn't able to try Marc's suggestion prior to that, but it doesn't seem to matter-- Google isn't initialized on the phone and the problem still occurred without any data transfer.

I've been in contact with Verizon tech (last night and this morning) and at this point it's going to have to be in their hands to determine why this is happening.

I'm going to have to either live with the problem until it's fixed or switch back to my Incredible :(

PorscheGuy

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, that sucks! Unfortunately I ported over from Sprint so I have no VZW phone to switch back to. :(

I only saw one other reply besides mine to your question of location, so did you ever determine if it's location causing the issue? For instance I'll talk to my GF from my 3G-only area (92591, 92592 & 92563) on my TB to her 4G area (90292) on her Droid 1 and she complains constantly about the call quality and my fading/cutting out. But yesterday I also talked to my friend twice from my 3G-only area (92591, 92592 & 92563) on my TB to his ?G area (44708 & 44718) on his Droid X and both times the calls were fine.

chrisp95

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
No, I think the techs think there's still something to the phone number and prefix, but there have been people like you with the problem who are nowhere near our area. The reason they thought it could have something to do with that is that there are at least 7 other people confirmed to have the same problem by our local Verizon techs. All have the same prefix as me, but I rule that out simply as coincidence and the fact that the other users SHOULD have the same prefix if they purchased the phone in my store--

I think one of the things that made them think this was the possible problem was that one of the 7 has the same prefix but lives 45 miles to the south of us. They used to live in our area and brought the phone to my Verizon store.

Haven't had the problem again since noted above-- that doesn't really mean anything though if I can go 4 or 5 days without experiencing it.

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have to say getting two defective devices in a row is very possible, saying it can't happen isn't correct. Unfortunately for one of my brothers who upgraded to the Incredible had two defective out of the box and then the 3rd had issues too. He went with the Moto X. He was very disappointed because he wanted the Incredible but wasn't going to try a 4th. I have the Incredible and love it. It can happen and it also happened with me with Blackberry. I am glad Verizon still has 3g devices in the lineup because with all I am hearing I am not interested in trying 4g. Not until they get all the kinks out of it, that is fore sure. I have a friend who has the Thunderbolt and is having the same issues as you have mentioned. She has returned it and went with the Moto X as well.
My other brother has the Thunderbolt and he has no issues. He is loving it. There are issues with every device. I don't get an upgrade till next year so I know the kinks will be out by then. Still though, I may stay with 3g. I am really interested in the new Incredible2. But we will see what happens. I can always change my mind !

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01