Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Ruled Out Causes

Also- today was a bad day for the problem on my phone with 10+ instances and I was able to test a couple of setting changes between calls, with none of them fixing the problem:

It doesn't seem to be a synch problem-- I had the mic problem with all synch/auto synch/background synch settings both turned on and turned off.

I turned off 4g through the 'secret' menu code to no avail-- the problem still occurs under only 3g calls

I also noticed that the screen going into sleep mode isn't the only thing that initiates the problem-- It will also occur when hitting the 'home' key or attempting to switch to any screen other than the call screen.

My opinion is this problem is a little more widespread than originally thought. The percentage of owners with the problem is probably very, very low, but I'm guessing a lot of people either haven't sought help for the problem, or have been turned away/dismissed when contacting Verizon. I'm sure that has to do with the rarity of the problem and not some sort of neglect on the part of Verizon.

With some owners evidently being from outside Ohio, the fact that 7 more phones with the problem showed up over the weekend at my Verizon store alone indicates to me that there HAS to be more people with this problem that aren't being counted. Bear in mind, this is only my opinion and could easily be off base.

Default update

Ok- time for the 'daily' update:

We switched out my sim card yesterday. The techs and I didn't feel that was going to work, but we did it anyways. Well, it didn't work. The problem still exists. So as it stands, 2nd phone, 2nd battery, 2nd sim card, second memory card-- same problem.

We DID get somewhere with it afterwards though (hopefully).

Right after replacing the sim card and doing a complete reset-- As the phone puts you through the initial set up options, I approved the "verizon contacts synch" option, but couldn't approve the "google account setup/synch" immediately, as for some reason my password slipped my mind.

I did a soft reboot to correct the known sim card/text message error, so the phone was JUST reset AND restarted-- which normally means the problem won't occur for a while.

Five minutes later I was on the phone with someone WITHOUT the problem. Five minutes after that, I had my google password and reactivated the google account/synch on the phone. FIVE minutes after that I got a call and the problem occurred. Of course my friend and I called each other back and forth a few times and the problem persisted.

The tech and I talked a couple of hours later and of course we came to the decision to do a complete reset of the phone again, this time NOT reactivating my google account and just to be safe, not approving the Verizon contacts sych. Both of those options can be skipped upon initial phone reset.

I've gone through about 5 or 6 calls so far without a re-occurrence. We're obviously hoping the problem has something to do with the google account/synch. Bear in mind, turning the google sychs off completely in the phones synch settings- didn't work before. This is the first time trying the complete google account setup skip.

Hopefully the theory gets us somewhere, then its just a matter of determining why the google account is affecting only a few Thunderbolts in this way.

If anyone here would like to try the same thing in an effort to get more evidence, it would be great if they could report here on their findings.

Of course it's incredibly inconvenient to not set up the google account. You can't use marketplace, maps, gps, and a whole slew of other features on the phone without the google activation.

For anyone who wants to try. Here are a few things you may want to do first to make things easier:

First of all, a complete phone factory data reset (done under the SD card & phone storage option under the settings menu) should NOT tamper with apps, pictures and most other info STORED on your memory card. When you're doing the reset, it seems to suggest that info will be erased. It seems like only the installed information/apps are erased, but not anything backed up with a back up program, or copied to the card through a computer usb link previously.

Download a backup app from the marketplace, if you don't have one already. I use ASTRO. Backup your apps to the SD card. If you're afraid of losing your photos, back them up to your computer first-- They didn't disappear for me at anytime I've done a reset in the past, but I can't guarantee that.

As for contacts, use your 'people' contacts option/icon and hit the phones menu button-- you'll see an inport/export option. Use that and export your contacts to the SD card. You'll be able to import them the same way after the reset.

There's a work around for retrieving the apps off the sd card, as you won't be able to access the marketplace to redownload any apps.

Setup the phone to allow non market place app installations. I don't know about other backup programs, but I was able to search on the internet for 'astro download' and found several sites where I could download the astro app file directly to the phone. Make sure it's a reputable site though. I just installed astro after the download and was able to re-install my apps from the sd card.

If anyone has a problem with any of this, just ask. Hopefully my instructions aren't confusing.
    Last edited by chrisp95; 04-07-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Default solution?

Ok, I may be completely off base here or maybe what was causing my issue is not the same for the rest of you, but I've figured mine out. I'll be on the phone, get a notification that is waking the screen up and hitting the mute button with my face. I was on a call tonight and the problem happened. I could hear them, they could not hear me. I pulled the phone away from my face and pressed the mute button, then got a message that mute was turned off, so it must have been on before pressing. The next time it happens, hit your mute button and see if that solves the issue.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by dwalker View Post
    Ok, I may be completely off base here or maybe what was causing my issue is not the same for the rest of you, but I've figured mine out. I'll be on the phone, get a notification that is waking the screen up and hitting the mute button with my face. I was on a call tonight and the problem happened. I could hear them, they could not hear me. I pulled the phone away from my face and pressed the mute button, then got a message that mute was turned off, so it must have been on before pressing. The next time it happens, hit your mute button and see if that solves the issue.
    Now this sounds like the voice of reason

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Hi-- No the problem we're talking about is not the mute button, but that's probably the first thing Verizon sales people assume the customer is doing wrong. It's much more complicated and advanced than that, but I'm sure it applies to some people with this apparent problem. Thanks for the suggestion
    Last edited by chrisp95; 04-08-2011 at 12:50 PM.

I'm gone through close to 15 calls over the past two days without any occurrences of the problem.

Does anyone have a theory as to why having the google account activated on the phone could be initiating this problem on a random basis?

I'm going to have to wait several more days to ensure that is the link to the base problem.

Any theories as to the possibility of pairing a new/different google account to the phone- and if/why that could remove the problem?

I don't see any setting in my google account, when viewed online, that could affect anything with a cell phone being paired with that account

Ah, could it be an issue with SVDO (Simultaneous 3G Voice & Data)? I'm sure that having a Google Account synced causes quite a bit of data to be sent back and forth in the background. I wonder what would happen if you were talking on the phone without a Google Account on the phone like you're trying but started browsing the web, etc...? I wish that I could help test for you but I can't be without a working phone as far as my email account is concerned. :-(
    -Marc K.

OK, quick update- Yesterday I was at home on WiFi and talking to my GF and everything was fine. Within a few minutes of turning WiFi off and leaving the house she started complaining about not being able to hear me again and such. Now being the only time I've been in that situation it could have just been a fluke that everything was fine at home with WiFi but just wanted to let you know.
    -Marc K.

Quote Originally Posted by PorscheGuy View Post
    Ah, could it be an issue with SVDO (Simultaneous 3G Voice & Data)? I'm sure that having a Google Account synced causes quite a bit of data to be sent back and forth in the background. I wonder what would happen if you were talking on the phone without a Google Account on the phone like you're trying but started browsing the web, etc...? I wish that I could help test for you but I can't be without a working phone as far as my email account is concerned. :-(
    Thanks Marc- I didn't try that without the google account online. That's a good suggestion. I'll try it tonight sometime when I'm on a call and let you know.

OK, quick update- Yesterday I was at home on WiFi and talking to my GF and everything was fine. Within a few minutes of turning WiFi off and leaving the house she started complaining about not being able to hear me again and such. Now being the only time I've been in that situation it could have just been a fluke that everything was fine at home with WiFi but just wanted to let you know.
    If that wasn't a fluke, it does add weight to your suggestion about data transfer (through the Verizon network not wi-fi) while being on a call with someone, WITH google account activation on the phone.

Bear in mind, I have had the mic issue when my google account was active, but I had all the synch settings set to 'off'-- I think those synch settings on the phone mention the fact that some google synch my still occur on the phone-- even with the sych options turned off. So- theoretically, having the google account completely disabled probably IS the best way to test the 'data transfer through verizon network, while also being connected on a voice call at the same time' theory.

Quick update--

4 days now without Google activation on the phone after complete phone reset. NO occurrences of the mic problem over that entire period.

Been in contact with Verizon techs several times over the past days and they are having me continue the test and are working themselves on determining how not having google set up could be causing this. Still waiting... But will try Marc's suggestion this evening

Default update

Well, all was for naught. The issue repeated several times today, so I'm at a loss for possible causes at this point.

I wasn't able to try Marc's suggestion prior to that, but it doesn't seem to matter-- Google isn't initialized on the phone and the problem still occurred without any data transfer.

I've been in contact with Verizon tech (last night and this morning) and at this point it's going to have to be in their hands to determine why this is happening.

I'm going to have to either live with the problem until it's fixed or switch back to my Incredible

Ugh, that sucks! Unfortunately I ported over from Sprint so I have no VZW phone to switch back to.

I only saw one other reply besides mine to your question of location, so did you ever determine if it's location causing the issue? For instance I'll talk to my GF from my 3G-only area (92591, 92592 & 92563) on my TB to her 4G area (90292) on her Droid 1 and she complains constantly about the call quality and my fading/cutting out. But yesterday I also talked to my friend twice from my 3G-only area (92591, 92592 & 92563) on my TB to his ?G area (44708 & 44718) on his Droid X and both times the calls were fine.
    -Marc K.

No, I think the techs think there's still something to the phone number and prefix, but there have been people like you with the problem who are nowhere near our area. The reason they thought it could have something to do with that is that there are at least 7 other people confirmed to have the same problem by our local Verizon techs. All have the same prefix as me, but I rule that out simply as coincidence and the fact that the other users SHOULD have the same prefix if they purchased the phone in my store--

I think one of the things that made them think this was the possible problem was that one of the 7 has the same prefix but lives 45 miles to the south of us. They used to live in our area and brought the phone to my Verizon store.

Haven't had the problem again since noted above-- that doesn't really mean anything though if I can go 4 or 5 days without experiencing it.
    Last edited by chrisp95; 04-15-2011 at 02:32 PM.

I have to say getting two defective devices in a row is very possible, saying it can't happen isn't correct. Unfortunately for one of my brothers who upgraded to the Incredible had two defective out of the box and then the 3rd had issues too. He went with the Moto X. He was very disappointed because he wanted the Incredible but wasn't going to try a 4th. I have the Incredible and love it. It can happen and it also happened with me with Blackberry. I am glad Verizon still has 3g devices in the lineup because with all I am hearing I am not interested in trying 4g. Not until they get all the kinks out of it, that is fore sure. I have a friend who has the Thunderbolt and is having the same issues as you have mentioned. She has returned it and went with the Moto X as well.
    My other brother has the Thunderbolt and he has no issues. He is loving it. There are issues with every device. I don't get an upgrade till next year so I know the kinks will be out by then. Still though, I may stay with 3g. I am really interested in the new Incredible2. But we will see what happens. I can always change my mind !

I have to say, I love my incredible. I intended to sell it, but given the problems- have kept it temporarily. I use it at home sometimes, as it works fine with wireless. You just can't make calls with it. It definitely seems to run a lot smoother than my Thunderbolt, as far as the apps being run on them. Both have the same apps, so the apps themselves shouldn't be a factor. The Thunderbolt is pretty jerky, which is somewhat helped by using a task killer after running several apps in a row. The incredible could run about twice as many apps in a row without needing some of them 'killed'. It really doesn't make sense that with the faster processor, the Thunderbolt isn't smoother.

I know a lot of people swear that app killers shouldn't be run on these phones, but they just aren't using the same types of apps, or not using them in succession. The incredible seems to manage them a lot better on it's own. The Thunderbolt doesn't. I can use 4 or 5 apps in a row on the Thunderbolt and it slows to a crawl. It's almost unbearable but the app killer takes care of that immediately. For example, if it's run manually at that time.

App-killer opponents- explain that one. Also, I've had several Verizon employees suggest using app killers. One even installed an app killer on my incredible when I complained of slowdowns after 2.2 Froyo can out.

The ONLY reason I will possibly keep the Thunderbolt is because of the 4g. I'm not having the problems that some are with 4G and the signal is outstanding in our area. It would be really hard to live without and the future ability to pay for or remove 4g hotspot on a monthly basis in the future is very attractive in the sense of using the signal for my laptop when out of town.

I've taken to using the free hotspot feature (until May 15th) on my laptop at the office, as it's 5 or 10 times faster than the DSL we have there.

I'll give one more exchange a chance and then will have to decide for sure if I will switch back to my incredible.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp95 View Post
    I'll give one more exchange a chance and then will have to decide for sure if I will switch back to my incredible.
    Thanks for the update.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Well hopefully I can help figure this out further soon. Once the bugs are worked out and the newly released Radio Interface Layer is merged into the GitHub repository for CyanogenMod 7 I will be changing my ROM (I hate Sense!) to CM7. That should maybe tell us if it's a VZW tower/backend issue or a stock ROM/Sense issue...
    -Marc K.

Wow this is a really weird thread for me to be reading. I actually had this same issue with my Nexus One on AT&T. It was random as hell and I never did figure out the cause. I lived with it for a year before I made the move to the Thunderbolt on Verizon. Since then I've had no issues with phone calls but if I had to bet I would guess the issue is with HTC. I can sympathize with you guys though as this issue drove me NUTS with my Nexus. I was always scared to death to get an important phone call for fear I wouldn't be able to answer the phone!

Here was a thread I found about the issue at XDA a long time ago, some of the posts sound just like the ones in this thread.

Actually that is completely different issue than what we're experiencing. That issue you mention seems to be an issue for Android in general and can usually be fixed by searching for and downloading "Call Delay Patch" from the Market.
    -Marc K.

Actually that is completely different issue than what we're experiencing. That issue you mention seems to be an issue for Android in general and can usually be fixed by searching for and downloading "Call Delay Patch" from the Market.
    Cool, I'm just glad I don't have it with my TB...that issue drove me nuts and is one of the reasons I left the N1.

Still, I suppose this issue here could still be some kind of variant of the previous issue with Android...

Oftentimes I could NEVER get my call to come thru, it wasn't just delayed..they never could hear me. Woudl take me multiple tries, them calling me back, and my calling them...

I cannot vouch for anyone in that thread at XDA but I myself had the same issues that are being posted about in this thread here at AC only it was my N1 and AT&T rather than TB and Verizon.

Default Same problem, and more

Hey guys I just started experiencing the same problem this week, but it's not just for calls.
    I noticed that the mic also has problems picking up your voice when you try speech-to-text input from the keyboard. It's not recognizing any of my voice and the indicator for how loud you are speaking is showing as really low. PLEASE HELP
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

Been absent from this thread for a few weeks, because my issue seemed to have cleared itself up.....

BUT NO

Again, beginning last week, it's been a crap shoot whether people can hear me on a call.

Spoke to tier 3 support 3 days ago, according to her records this is NOT an issue that is in their documentation as occuring to more than just me.

She sent me out a new phone, overnight. Received it 4/28/11. Activated it with my sim, sd card, battery and back plate.

Today, less than 24 hours after receiving "new" phone, got my first call where the person at the other end cannot hear me. It was a received call; when I called the number back, I could be heard.

Now, I've done the following since launch day with the TB:

Replaced SIM 3x
    Replaced complete phone=even swap to a new unopened boxed unit at retail store.
    Hard reset over 10X
    Replaced unit with "Certified New" unit

I am beyond the pale angry, tired with this.
    I have spent and lost $$ in my time, my energy, screen protectors that I lose to replacing phones...

I cannot reproduce this issue.

I'm tired of being "blamed" for the problem....do you have a case on it? do you have a screen protector on it? do you wear underwear when you use the phone?

The phone does not work as a phone. Period.

Dumping it, even IF Verizon agreed to give me back all the money spent, is no solution for me. I should not have to lose my current contract/price and downgrade to another phone that is not 4g lte.

Someone, share some zen with me so I don't hurt the ones I love!!!!

Default HTC Thuderbolt Mute Issues

My wife has the new HTC Thunderbolt 4G 216-970-XXXX. Verizon Same issues. No one can hear her at least half the time. Incoming and outgoing calls. Love the 4G but if you cannot reliably make a phone call its really unacceptble. Any update from chrisp95 who has posted so extensively here?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast