Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by scharf2960 View Post
    My wife has the new HTC Thunderbolt 4G 216-970-XXXX. Verizon Same issues. No one can hear her at least half the time. Incoming and outgoing calls. Love the 4G but if you cannot reliably make a phone call its really unacceptble. Any update from chrisp95 who has posted so extensively here?
    Are you the other half the time?

-Frank j/k
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Are you the other half the time?

-Frank j/k
    Only 1/4th really. Myself and the three kids!

Haven't checked in here for a while--

I'm still having the sound drop out problem, though not nearly as often... I've only had it happen 2 or 3 times over the past 2 weeks or so.

Restarting the phone seems to always solve it (temporarily.)

I get the feeling that the tech I was working with at Verizon, and the national techs working on the problem as well-- have moved on to larger problems. It seems there are numerous glitches to focus on with the Thunderbolt-- glitches that affect a larger number of users.

Other than the sound dropout problem, everything was fine with my phone UNTIL the update went through a couple of weeks ago.

Immediately afterwards, my gps wouldn't lock on to my location for several minutes-- which pretty much made it useless (at least for what I would use it for--- immediate directions to something in the local vicinity.) From the looks of things, a large number of people nationwide had this problem, either before the update, afterwards, or both.

At least for my area, the problem 'magically' cleared up today-- my gps is back to locking on within seconds.

I notice my battery life is better since the update, as well.

The sound dropout problem isn't bad enough anymore to consider switching my phone back to the incredible. I feel for everyone that has this problem, but isn't getting anywhere with their local verizon retailer. I'm fortunate the techs at my store have experienced the problem first-hand and have worked on solving it. I've been reassured throughout the mess, that they would allow me to return/cancel the upgrade and transfer back to my previous phone at any time. I'm sure I could do it now, if I chose.

There are some local customers they've worked with that experience the problem over 50% of the time... That has to be maddening. I get the feeling that they're just letting the users return the phones and switch to non 4g phones/ or cancel their contracts altogether.

I'd be interested if anyone has the sound dropout problem with the new Samsung Charge, as I believe that's the only other 4g phone Verizon offers at this time.

Given all the problems people seem to be having with the Thunderbolt, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't located in a strong 4g signal area. For me, the problems are outweighed by the outstanding speed of the 4g service-- and now they've extended the free wireless hotspot promo through June 15th. I link 2-3 laptops to it daily, without any of the glitches/disconnects of service that many people seem to be experiencing. It works perfectly every time I use it and I still get remarkably fast download speeds on our laptops.
    Last edited by chrisp95; 05-23-2011 at 10:08 PM.

I'm one of those people who it happens to at least 50% of the time. On top of that the volume through BT is so low I can barely hear the person that I'm talking to when I don't have the garbled voice issue. I received my 3rd TB from VZW on Friday (which had its own set of other problems like a sunken volume button, etc.) and on Saturday I said screw it and bought a Droid Charge at full retail. So far I love it and haven't had a single issue with it! The only thing I really miss about the TB is having SVDO (simultaneous voice & 3G data). I'm going to send the 3rd TB back to VZW instead of the 2nd one and either sell the 2nd one on eBay or keep it until they get the issues worked out somehow. I am still leaning toward it NOT being a hardware issue since I've had 3 of them in a row with the problem yet I now know 3 people at work with TBs and none of them have the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    -Marc K.

Default Re: Can you hear me now?

I am experiencing this problem as well. It is completely random. Can go for weeks without issue, then happens several times per day.

I think it must be software and/or service issue. Whenever it is happening, I can test the microphone using voice recorder or voice input, they always work without issue. Phone reset always solves the problem for a while.

Of course this problem only affects me when I call my wife who has a TB as well. Very frustrating and annoying especially when it is followed by the both of trying to call each other back only to get each others voicemail. I wish this problem would go away....

I don't think that you'd want to attempt it on both phones, but I rooted my TB and installed the CyanogenMod ROM and haven't had the problem since.
    -Marc K.

My Thunderbolt is doing the same thing, since about 3 weeks ago, I will answer my phone and nobody can hear me, only if I use the speakerphone. Some of my apps that talk do not work either. ??

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

I just started having this problem a few days ago. I can hear them but they can't hear me until I reboot the phone. It has happened to me twice in about 4 days. Very frustrating and has not happened since I have owned this thing since release day. From what I have read so far is that there is no solution to this. I hope I am wrong. I would rather not make an insurance claim for this.

I have the same problem...caller can't hear me but I can hear them.

I have never had a problem. I keep mine on 3g. I hear everything fine. Same on my bluetooth

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

ROM
    Stock/BAMF Forever1.10

Someone whipped a dead horse on this one. I wonder if the most recent posts are referbs from the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by rcmarks314 View Post
    Someone whipped a dead horse on this one. I wonder if the most recent posts are referbs from the OP.
    I don't know about that, but I am having the same problem.

One thing that has helped me is when the problem occurs, just switch to speakerphone and then back to normal and the problem will go away for the duration of that phone call. But that is a pain in the rear, and we shouldn't have to do that.

I upgraded from the Incredible to the Thunderbolt just a few months ago and I have had this problem for a while. Verizon sent me a replacement (brand new) thunderbolt, and it has the same problem. It has the problem when it is completely stock, and it still has the problem rooted and running an AOSP ROM or a Sense Rom. Nothing seems to make any difference, the problem persists.

They are going to send me my third Thunderbolt in a few days, and I am pretty certain it's going to have the same problem. Maybe after that I can get them to swap it out for a Rezound or something. In my experience, Verizon is pretty negotiable after replacing with like-kind twice in a row.

And that is really disappointing to me, because other than that issue, I really like the Thunderbolt, probably even better than I'll like the Rezound. The Droid Charge was considerably cheaper than the Tbolt, but I got the Tbolt because I love HTC phones. I had the Eris, the Incredible and now the Tbolt, and I really just want the Tbolt to work, but if it won't, maybe the Rezound will.

Just like the OP, I have had 2 Thunderbolts in a row with the same problem. In a few days I will most likely be up to 3 in a row with the same problem. This is a pretty common problem apparently, and Verizon to this day says that it's not a known issue.

I live in Utah, my first thunder bolt worked like a charm.
    The charging port quit working. The had me send it in and sent me a new ... Referb..
    Didn't take long till people started saying they couldn't hear me.
    I called . They sent me another phone.
    Same thing. Then, they sent me another phone. Same thing. Now this phone. Same thing. This us nuts.
    And when u call them they act like your crazy. Soft resets hard resets, factory data resets, new sim card. What to Do? My first one worked so well.

I just got my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 yesterday from Kogan. Works perfectly except no one can hear me talk on it. The voice activated functions and memos work so it's not a physical issue with the microphone. I might ring Telstra as I'm having no luck on Google searches.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123