DLNA Feature with Thunderbolt

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a Sony BDP 570 that says it has DLNA ability, but it is apparently looking for a DLNA server or something and I can't get it to work with the native DLNA ability in the Tbolt. Does anyone know if an app like Twonky will solve this issue?

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a Sony BDP 570 that says it has DLNA ability, but it is apparently looking for a DLNA server or something and I can't get it to work with the native DLNA ability in the Tbolt. Does anyone know if an app like Twonky will solve this issue?

Yes. I think Twonky acts as a media server.

Reactions: Bobman

xkwwwx

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
with the droid x the dlna app allows me to download media from my server to the phone's dowload dir on the sdcard. how can i get the thunderbolt to do this?

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For those wondering if you can stream pics, vids, or music to a PC, I installed XBMC on my Windows 7 machine, ran it, then opened the Connected Media app on my TB, selected what I wanted to stream, and it immediately started playing on my PC. Pretty slick!

tomskag

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
For those wondering if you can stream pics, vids, or music to a PC, I installed XBMC on my Windows 7 machine, ran it, then opened the Connected Media app on my TB, selected what I wanted to stream, and it immediately started playing on my PC. Pretty slick!
I'm going to have to bust out my old xbox and try it out

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was talking about earlier. As far as I know you have to use a DLNA app (free) to stream it to your PS3. That's how I did it. No computer involved. When you open the app like Twonky, it loads up all the media on you phone just like a music or video player would.

-downloaded Twonky, went through the setup process--but what steps are you taking to view the phone/make it paired & receive content on the PS3?

couldn't get my TB to view my 360 as a player, and am hoping it's just some simple fix.

viatorvoice

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
ok all. I did some digging. To stream to the PS3 or Xbox 360 you need an app like Twonky. The reason is the PS3 and Xbox 360 are certified Digital Media Players (DMP) (DLNA Certified? Products - DLNA) They require a server. Most computers and some other devices are Digital Media Receivers (DMR) and can receive directly from the Thunderbolt. You can however use the xbox 360 as a Windows Media extender, through a computer to have it act like a DMR. Unfortunately, the DLNA web site does do a good job of listing if the device is a DMR, DMP, DMC, DMS. For more info see the link above.

Two bits of good news. First, the PS3 could get a firmware upgrade to become a DMR. Second, Most devices produced after today that get DLNA certification with me DMRs.

So unfortunately, you can play media on the PS3 and xbox360 but you but control it on your system and not on the phone. Bummer and the Verizon adds are misleading.

To use Twonky with the PS3, turn on wifi on the thunderbolt, start the app and choose which media to share. Once the Townky server has started go to the PS3 and under the pictures, video , or music go to the top and rescan for media servers. Pick the twonky mobile and your golden. your PS3 can be wired or wireless. Unfortunately, the ps3 is media type specific so you have to listen to music from music, watch videos from the videos category.

Any questions hit me up. I have been using dlna for years.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
yup---got Twonky running my photos/videos/music on my ps3 without any problem.

on 360? still trying.

finally---dlna!

in case anyone's wondering--

Twonky on the android market.

thanks everyone for their contributions!

viatorvoice

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, on the 360 I did the same settings in Twonky and then on the Xbox 360 go to my Xbox and music, videos. Under select source choose TwonkyServer Mobile. it's the same as the PS3 music in music only. I'm streaming right now.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Nice DLNA!!! i told you guys it was not all it was cracked up to be! not being a dick, but people were acting like it is a valid substitute for HDMI, it absolutely is not. their are to many open issues with it and the many brands that somewhat support it in different forms and fashions. it is not ready for primetime yet. and may never be. HDMI is by far superior.

viatorvoice

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I will give you HDMI is superior, except for one thing: you are tethered to the device physically with a cable. Are you going to run a 10ft HDMI cable to from your phone to your device? You are probably going to use the devices remote to control playback anyways and you can do that with Thunderbolt +Twonky. I prefer to have my phone on my table cord free and stream to my TV via PS3. Oh and i better there are many phones that include a HDMI to mini-HDMI cable. you have to pay for that. Twonky is free!

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
an HDMI to Mini cable can be had for $5. also, that is why the Atrix solution with media dock and ir remote is superior. trust me i would never own one but, they got it going on in that aspect. also mirrored HDMI is just sick for everything, games, apps, ppt presentations, browsing, etc. i would much rather be tethered for the superiority.

viatorvoice

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
True, mirrored HDMI is cool. But I basically only use videos and music. You sound like you would want the Bionic. It has both dlna and HDMI, best of both. With the Atrix, dock and IR your spending a lot of extra money for something you can do with streaming for free. A plus for DLNA is I have streamed music for a friend while on the phone in another room. HDMI tethered phone call, no so great :)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
yeah, lack of HDMI (and purchasing one) is an advantage for me. i'm 7 feet from the tv, listening to songs stored on my phone.

awesome.

one thing, though---i'm not seeing my 360 as a Player through the Twonky app...therefore, i can't control the media FROM the phone. i'm guessing this control is only a feature when you're not using a median device (ps3/360)--so if you ARE using either of these devices, you must control the songs/videos using the game console controller.

once again. awesome. thank you, Twonky.

oh, HarryPotterPuppetPals is even more funny when playing on my tv, from my phone. love Android.

viatorvoice

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes you have to control the playback with your controller. the lack of phone control is not a limitation of Twonky, but a limitation of the Xbox / PS3 being digital media players, instead of digital media receivers. Twonky supports remote control on compatible devices (e.g., some Samsung TVs). Sorry only a firmware upgrade to those devices would change that.

PatL

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
The TB comes with an app called Connected Media. I ran it, went to photos, pulled up a set of pictures, and immediately was able to see my pics on my Samsung TV. If it doesn't start right away, there is a tool button to select the TV or other device. Worked great.

robdec17

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I forgot all about this feature. I turned on my XBMC media center then went to my phone and selected Connected Media then selected a video and itstreamed like a champ!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KrystalMcclain