Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    zanix's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

    Cool Power Button Question

    Do I really need to push the power button to "wake up" the phone, and then unlock it to use it?

    I know other touch screen phones only need the screen to be touched to "wake up" and then unlock.

    I am already slightly annoyed with having to push the power button so many times.

    Or is there another way I haven't found yet?
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  
    AndroidXTC's Avatar

    Posts
    1,038 Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default

    That's it I'm afraid. There are programs that allow you to wake the phone with the volume rocker.
  3. #3  
    sicario666's Avatar
    AndroidSkull

    Posts
    3,471 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

    Default

    It's actually a good thing. No way for the phone to wake up on its own. My X did that all the time

    Tbolt meatclaws via talkatap
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    zanix's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sicario666 View Post
    It's actually a good thing. No way for the phone to wake up on its own. My X did that all the time

    Tbolt meatclaws via talkatap
    Hmmm....never thought of that. Good point.
  5. #5  
    sicario666's Avatar
    AndroidSkull

    Posts
    3,471 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmbgrp View Post
    Hmmm....never thought of that. Good point.
    When I had my X in my pocket,before my beltclip. I took it out a few times to see the screen on and a few times it was unlocked. Not something I need to worry about with my Tbolt

    Tbolt meatclaws via talkatap
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    zanix's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sicario666 View Post
    When I had my X in my pocket,before my beltclip. I took it out a few times to see the screen on and a few times it was unlocked. Not something I need to worry about with my Tbolt

    Tbolt meatclaws via talkatap
    Just seems like alot of steps to be able to use the phone to me. But I can see the benefit of it now.
  7. #7  
    vdefender's Avatar

    Posts
    188 Posts
    ROM
    Das Bamf 1.3, 1.2ghz

    Default

    Moto droid was the same way, power, then slide to unlock. I like it.

    I do sometimes bump the power button while in my pocket, but with the android slide unlock i know it wont pocket dial.

    My old windows mobile phone would pocket dial all the time, and I'd pull it out and it would be dead because it was on all day in my pocket.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    zanix's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vdefender View Post
    Moto droid was the same way, power, then slide to unlock. I like it.

    I do sometimes bump the power button while in my pocket, but with the android slide unlock i know it wont pocket dial.

    My old windows mobile phone would pocket dial all the time, and I'd pull it out and it would be dead because it was on all day in my pocket.
    Ok, I am sure I will adjust. But I have an Ipod Touch that I just have to touch the screen then slide to unlock. I was thinking the phone can't dial if the slide isn't done...so why is there a need for a power button to "wake up"?

    Is it to help save battery?
  9. #9  
    sicario666's Avatar
    AndroidSkull

    Posts
    3,471 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmbgrp View Post
    Just seems like alot of steps to be able to use the phone to me. But I can see the benefit of it now.
    Do you keep it in your pocket? I have a beltclip for my Tbolt now. But when I had it in my pocket I always made sure I had my meatclaw all the way around it before I pulled it out(that's what she said) normally I had my index finger wrapped around the top already. So power button access was right there

    Tbolt meatclaws via talkatap
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    zanix's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sicario666 View Post
    Do you keep it in your pocket? I have a beltclip for my Tbolt now. But when I had it in my pocket I always made sure I had my meatclaw all the way around it before I pulled it out(that's what she said) normally I had my index finger wrapped around the top already. So power button access was right there

    Tbolt meatclaws via talkatap
    No, I will be keeping it in my pocketbook. But I am thinking when I am at work, and it is on my desk, with my BB, I could just touch any key and it would wake up.
    Now I will have a 2 step process. Not a deal breaker, but that means alot of use for the power button!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    zanix's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidXTC View Post
    That's it I'm afraid. There are programs that allow you to wake the phone with the volume rocker.

    Does that mean the volume rocker will no longer function as a volume rocker? And how can I get this program?

    I think the volume rocker is easier to access than the power button..
  12. #12  

    Default

    there's a few lock screen widgets available that you can download. you won't have to push the power button to lock the screen.. just one tap on the widget. you will still have to push the power button to unock the screen though.
  13. #13  
    JRZLocal's Avatar

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

    Default

    There's also a free app called no lock in the android market. You still need to hit the power button but don't need to slide to unlock the phone.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sicario666 View Post
    It's actually a good thing. No way for the phone to wake up on its own. My X did that all the time
    Nice that it doesn't for when you toss it in a pocket or purse
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
  15. #15  
    dajogejr's Avatar

    Posts
    490 Posts
    Global Posts
    581 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 1.6.3 Remix/2.4 Lean

    Default

    As said you can use no lock. You have to hit either the power button or volume rocker to turn it on. I hated having to slide the lock off. But if you pocket the phone the rocker could set it off.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  16. #16  
    Fire923's Avatar

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

    Default

    I know I can't get use to hitting the power button then sliding to unlock the phone. I had a Storm and I could just tap the screen or one of the bottom buttons to get my phone to wake up. Easy to use on a desk or with just one hand.
  17. #17  
    dajogejr's Avatar

    Posts
    490 Posts
    Global Posts
    581 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 1.6.3 Remix/2.4 Lean

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire923 View Post
    I know I can't get use to hitting the power button then sliding to unlock the phone. I had a Storm and I could just tap the screen or one of the bottom buttons to get my phone to wake up. Easy to use on a desk or with just one hand.
    Have you tried No Lock? I installed it almost immediately, works great.
  18. #18  

    Default

    No lock works good..but is there an app that still can take advantage of the slider lock. The only thing I want to eliminate is having to press the power button to wake the phone. Essentially I want to use the volume button to wake, and then slide to unlock.
  19. #19  

    Default

    It's funny that someone posted a question about the power button because today I had the same questions. My main concern is the frequent use it gets. I don't care too much about the steps needed to unlock the screen. I just think that poor button is going to wear out before I get another phone. I guess you could just not have the phone go to sleep so quickly, but then you are sacrificing battery life. That brings me to another question, isn't there a widget that allows you to set different profiles. Like say when the phone is on the charger don't turn the screen off.
  20. #20  

    Default

    There really needs to be an app that disables the slide to unlock screen, but still allow the use of the pattern lock screen. It's redundant to have to slide to unlock then enter my pattern password every single time. To unlock my girlfriend's fascinate all she has to do is hit the power button then enter her pattern password. Any ideas?

Posting Permissions