Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

Cool Power Button Question

Do I really need to push the power button to "wake up" the phone, and then unlock it to use it?

I know other touch screen phones only need the screen to be touched to "wake up" and then unlock.

I am already slightly annoyed with having to push the power button so many times.

Or is there another way I haven't found yet?
    Thanked by:

ROM
    None

That's it I'm afraid. There are programs that allow you to wake the phone with the volume rocker.
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

It's actually a good thing. No way for the phone to wake up on its own. My X did that all the time

Tbolt meatclaws via talkatap
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sicario666 View Post
    It's actually a good thing. No way for the phone to wake up on its own. My X did that all the time

Hmmm....never thought of that. Good point.
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Quote Originally Posted by pmbgrp View Post
    Hmmm....never thought of that. Good point.
    When I had my X in my pocket,before my beltclip. I took it out a few times to see the screen on and a few times it was unlocked. Not something I need to worry about with my Tbolt

Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

When I had my X in my pocket,before my beltclip. I took it out a few times to see the screen on and a few times it was unlocked. Not something I need to worry about with my Tbolt

Just seems like alot of steps to be able to use the phone to me. But I can see the benefit of it now.

ROM
    Das Bamf 1.3, 1.2ghz

Moto droid was the same way, power, then slide to unlock. I like it.

I do sometimes bump the power button while in my pocket, but with the android slide unlock i know it wont pocket dial.

My old windows mobile phone would pocket dial all the time, and I'd pull it out and it would be dead because it was on all day in my pocket.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vdefender View Post
    Moto droid was the same way, power, then slide to unlock. I like it.

I do sometimes bump the power button while in my pocket, but with the android slide unlock i know it wont pocket dial.

My old windows mobile phone would pocket dial all the time, and I'd pull it out and it would be dead because it was on all day in my pocket.
    Ok, I am sure I will adjust. But I have an Ipod Touch that I just have to touch the screen then slide to unlock. I was thinking the phone can't dial if the slide isn't done...so why is there a need for a power button to "wake up"?

Is it to help save battery?
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Quote Originally Posted by pmbgrp View Post
    Just seems like alot of steps to be able to use the phone to me. But I can see the benefit of it now.
    Do you keep it in your pocket? I have a beltclip for my Tbolt now. But when I had it in my pocket I always made sure I had my meatclaw all the way around it before I pulled it out(that's what she said) normally I had my index finger wrapped around the top already. So power button access was right there

Snitches get stitches
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

Do you keep it in your pocket? I have a beltclip for my Tbolt now. But when I had it in my pocket I always made sure I had my meatclaw all the way around it before I pulled it out(that's what she said) normally I had my index finger wrapped around the top already. So power button access was right there

No, I will be keeping it in my pocketbook. But I am thinking when I am at work, and it is on my desk, with my BB, I could just touch any key and it would wake up.
    Now I will have a 2 step process. Not a deal breaker, but that means alot of use for the power button!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidXTC View Post
    That's it I'm afraid. There are programs that allow you to wake the phone with the volume rocker.

Does that mean the volume rocker will no longer function as a volume rocker? And how can I get this program?

I think the volume rocker is easier to access than the power button..

there's a few lock screen widgets available that you can download. you won't have to push the power button to lock the screen.. just one tap on the widget. you will still have to push the power button to unock the screen though.

Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

There's also a free app called no lock in the android market. You still need to hit the power button but don't need to slide to unlock the phone.

Nice that it doesn't for when you toss it in a pocket or purse
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

Global Posts
    581 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 1.6.3 Remix/2.4 Lean

As said you can use no lock. You have to hit either the power button or volume rocker to turn it on. I hated having to slide the lock off. But if you pocket the phone the rocker could set it off.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

I know I can't get use to hitting the power button then sliding to unlock the phone. I had a Storm and I could just tap the screen or one of the bottom buttons to get my phone to wake up. Easy to use on a desk or with just one hand.

Global Posts
    581 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 1.6.3 Remix/2.4 Lean

Quote Originally Posted by Fire923 View Post
    I know I can't get use to hitting the power button then sliding to unlock the phone. I had a Storm and I could just tap the screen or one of the bottom buttons to get my phone to wake up. Easy to use on a desk or with just one hand.
    Have you tried No Lock? I installed it almost immediately, works great.

No lock works good..but is there an app that still can take advantage of the slider lock. The only thing I want to eliminate is having to press the power button to wake the phone. Essentially I want to use the volume button to wake, and then slide to unlock.

It's funny that someone posted a question about the power button because today I had the same questions. My main concern is the frequent use it gets. I don't care too much about the steps needed to unlock the screen. I just think that poor button is going to wear out before I get another phone. I guess you could just not have the phone go to sleep so quickly, but then you are sacrificing battery life. That brings me to another question, isn't there a widget that allows you to set different profiles. Like say when the phone is on the charger don't turn the screen off.

There really needs to be an app that disables the slide to unlock screen, but still allow the use of the pattern lock screen. It's redundant to have to slide to unlock then enter my pattern password every single time. To unlock my girlfriend's fascinate all she has to do is hit the power button then enter her pattern password. Any ideas?