4G power usage truly is the problem

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Had wifi on with the phone off power at my house and moderately using the phone. After 6 hours, I had only 25% battery loss. Normally when I go to work I don't even get a chance to mess with my phone much so it's just standard battery drain on idle -- usually 10% per hour. 4G LTE truly takes a ton of battery and I know it's beating a dead horse here, but just wanted to relay my findings. I think that if/when they release a true 4G toggle or improves the efficiency of the LTE chip, we will see a dramatic improvement.

Reactions: Chrisy

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I live in a 4g area, and I get about 14 hours of moderate use between charges... I don't use wifi... I don't notice a drain anymore now that my battery has cycled and adapted to my use. I do have background sync off still, (Google sync is always on, and GPS) but I don't need FB and the like to sync unless I'm using it.

I did on accident hit the friendstream icon in the app drawer and not turn it off the other day... Went from 96% to 39% in 2 hours.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I've tested wifi, 3G (usually 1-2 bars), and 4G (usually 1-3 bars), and while wifi adds a bit of battery life, the only conclusive battery draw on my device is the display.

I've gotten 12-14 hours of battery when I hardly use my TB sitting in low 4G signal area all day, and less than 3 hours when I use it nonstop (even with little network traffic). The display is always at 75-85% of the battery usage, and I keep my brightness at 16%, with auto off and a dark wallpaper.

IMO, any power management fixes need to be on the display, not the radio(s).

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I live in a 4g area, and I get about 14 hours of moderate use between charges... I don't use wifi... I don't notice a drain anymore now that my battery has cycled and adapted to my use. I do have background sync off still, (Google sync is always on, and GPS) but I don't need FB and the like to sync unless I'm using it.

I did on accident hit the friendstream icon in the app drawer and not turn it off the other day... Went from 96% to 39% in 2 hours.

I wish I knew how you got that much time on your device. I would get maybe 11 hours if I didn't touch the device at all and just let the cell/radio standby run all day. I once had those two combine for 35% and my display was 60% (5% other). That's crazy.

I live in a strong 4G area (usually 3 bars if not 4) as well and it never switches back and forth to 3G/4G.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
depends on how much you use ur phone. When I am at school in or at work I really dont get to use my phone alot. I put it in 3g mode and works great. I still have 70% battery life left after 7 hours it has been off charger already. I think overtime they will probably make improvements to the 4g battery life but for now when I have no need for 4g I turn it off.

mfancy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Had WiFi on all day on my phone yesterday, my phone lasted all day with no problem.

Had 4G on today, my phone was at 43% in 3 hours and it sat in my pocket for all but 3 minutes when I talked on the phone.

johndabeast

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to throw this out there, took my phone off its charger at 4 am, last night/this morning, and woke up at 12, the cell standby was at 35%, along with the phone idle also around 35%, the screen was way below at 12% (I was sleeping so it was never on) The overall battery percentage was 45%. I have no clue how this can happen with only email on my phone and the HTC weather/clock widget. Do I have a defective battery or something?

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site

This mirrors my results. I always get 12-14 hours of battery life with a similar usage pattern.

jmeitz

May 25, 2010
Visit site
My Evo did the same thing when in 4g, doubt there is a fix for it other than a toggle or using the app. Unless gingerbread fixes it somehow.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't see any difference between 3G and LTE in battery hours. I do notice a very big difference in battery when tethering --- can drain my battery in a little less than 2 hours tethering LTE.

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
The display is always at 75-85% of the battery usage, and I keep my brightness at 16%, with auto off and a dark wallpaper.

That's a bit high! Mine is usually between 65-70% with moderate use with brightness at 35%, and a bright background of the California ocean.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae