1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Incorrect Location Messing up Time

When I look at my current location, is shows Minsk and that it is 9:18pm. I am in IL and the time is 1:18pm. My HTS Weather widget is showing the correct location...but my time is off by 8 hours?? Toggled all location settings no luck. My location in maps is correct. and I have done a battery pull and restart a few times...still no luck. Anybody see this before? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by dtm17 View Post
    When I look at my current location, is shows Minsk and that it is 9:18pm. I am in IL and the time is 1:18pm. My HTS Weather widget is showing the correct location...but my time is off by 8 hours?? Toggled all location settings no luck. My location in maps is correct. and I have done a battery pull and restart a few times...still no luck. Anybody see this before? Any ideas?
    Yes, I have this problem also. Yesterday it had me in Washington State, USA (west coast) and I am actually in Virginia (east coast), 3 hours difference. I tried everything I could think of, rebooting, pulled battery, opening maps (which found me fine).

Finally, I went in and unchecked automatic and set my actual date and time and then rechecked automatic. My location on the time widget is fine now but some apps (SportsTap) are off. It told me that the basketball games yesterday started earlier than they really did. I think it is still stuck on Pacific coast time.

This needs to be fixed.

Talked with Verizon, and they say it is a software update coming from HTC... Funny enough mine quit having issues when i complained it was only the tower near my house, and 24 hours later, I am not having issues anymore...

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

This is a problem on the Incredible also.

My Thunderbolt also shows an incorrect location for me. I live in Ohio... it's about 18 degrees outside. But it keeps showing places that I've never heard of that have temperatures in the 70's. The refresh button within the widget only refreshes the weather for THOSE OTHER PLACES. And to make matters worse, to use a static place nearby would be ok but the closest city to me is about 40 miles away. Lame!

This same thing just happened to me today.

I was on the phone with 4 different support people at U.S. Cellular -- same issue with my HTC Desire. They said the only way to fix it at this time was to do a full phone reset, which I refused to do (since I just updated to Froyo 2.2 a few days ago and had to re-log everything - I'm NOT doing all that again!).

They said it's a app problem, and they are working on putting in a trouble ticket with the app developer and would call me when a solution occurs (yea, like I believe that one!).

So after 3 hours of calling back & forth and being transferred and dropped, the solution is ZERO (other than to tell me to go into the store and see if they can manually do something).

On another note - my battery is losing power like crazy - and this just started today as well. Was only talking on the phone - not using apps - and it's nearly drained. So there is more going on than just the weather and date!

Funny... the strange city has now disappeared and the time/weather seems to be corrected. However, I've NOT checked the "automatic update" just to be safe for a while....
    mpf

ROM
    2.2.1, 3.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by sue d. View Post
    Funny... the strange city has now disappeared and the time/weather seems to be corrected. However, I've NOT checked the "automatic update" just to be safe for a while....
    I was having this problem this weekend as well -- but I thought it might have just been me.

I was on travel to Europe last week and took my Thunderbolt in wi-fi only mode to use for e-mail (which it did a GREAT job with). I used the GPS to let it figure out time-zone, etc. when I got there, but just about everytime I used the phone it asked me to confirm my Time-zone (since there wasn't a "service provider" for it to check with.

When I returned and was connected back up properly, it took close to a day for the city in the weather widget to "fix" itself -- no amount of fiddling with it would make it change its mind from the city in Europe I had previously been in. I tried a few reboots to no luck. Somehow by mid-late afternoon it "fixed" itself.

Looking forward to whatever patch they claim they are going to send out.

Yeah, I can't wait to see the fix (if any).

Here's another weird thing: now, when I go to check the "auto update" I can do it, but when I go back in to check on things - it's UNchecked and I'm STILL getting a strange place in the weather report.

I have a friend who has an iPhone and she NEVER has troubles like I've had with this Android. Tell ya what - I would not buy one of these again.... I've had more trouble since I've had it than all the regular phones I've had.
    Banned

+1

I'm in Central time and my phone will switch to Eastern and Japan, really freaked me out when I woke up from a nap. Disabled automatic network-provided values until I hear of a fix.