Time is all most up - who's keeping - who's not?

Time is almost up - who's keeping - who's not?

• Total voters

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
For the people who got their Thunderbolt's on the first day, the 14 day return clock in winding down.... and for any one else that bought one as well.....

Who is going to keep their TB and who is not?

I really, really wanted this to be a great phone "for me."

But I don't like the battery life, even though it's better now with bumping and tweaking.

I don't like the way the contacts are displayed and searched.
I don't like the way the calendar is displayed and searched.
I don't like the way the email is displayed and searched.
i don't like the way the text is displayed and searched.

It all has a look and feel of apps that were put together from a generic app building program by engineers. Light on style and ease of use. Much like a lot of the other cheap looking apps in the app stores.

The TB has a huge screen, but they didn't make the best visual or practical use of that size in their graphic design and layout of the calendar, contacts, email and text. Apple and R.I.M (OS5 - never tired OS6) both did a better job AND with SMALLER screens. You may disagree, but I am coming from a 33 year career in graphics and illustration, so maybe I look at things a little differently.

Sure, I can get used to it if I keep the phone - but I had high hopes, maybe too high, for my Blackberry replacement.

There is a lot to like about this phone, but also some disappointments on both the aesthetics and practical use.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I will be receiving a brand new replacement on Tuesday as I have gone to tech about 3 times now to get help with it and it's problems. I will have 3 days before I have to return the phone if I do not want it. If the new phone runs anything like this one, I will be returning the phone for a full refund. The ONLY reason I got this phone was to get me grandfathered into the 4G unlimited plan.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Keeping for sure! Best device ever!

Love how gmail is push and displays.
Google apps all great.
Internet is awesome.
Keyboard great.
Music player sounds good.

I guess I just like Android OS and Sense because I love how the phone, screen and menus are set up.

Battery life and LED disappointed me. Monday I'm getting the big battery.

Sold my Blackberry yesterday!

I did buy a calendar widget though because the calendar that came stock wasn't nice like Google calendar on a PC. But pure calendar is awesome.

Reactions: baztekdroid

Eleer

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The TB has a huge screen, but they didn't make the best visual or practical use of that size in their graphic design and layout of the calendar, contacts, email and text. Apple and R.I.M (OS5 - never tired OS6) both did a better job AND with SMALLER screens.

People give Blackberry so much crap, and in my opinion, Blackberry doesn't get credit where it is due. Coming from a Blackberry user and a student at MIT, I have been wanting to upgrade to Android for a while now because of the power that is being put into Android processors these days along with upgraded hardware. The only thing that has stopped me from doing so is that my Blackberry does everything I need it to do. It is so reliable and though it doesn't have flashy software or hardware that your Androids and iPhones have, Blackberry devices do what they are supposed to do, and they do it well and with ease. I have been eligible for an upgrade for quite sometime now and still can't find it in me to get rid of my Blackberry.

Last edited:

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Keeping for sure! Best device ever!

Love how gmail is push and displays.
Google apps all great.
Internet is awesome.
Keyboard great.
Music player sounds good.

I guess I just like Android OS and Sense because I love how the phone, screen and menus are set up.

Battery life and LED disappointed me. Monday I'm getting the big battery.

Sold my Blackberry yesterday!

I did buy a calendar widget though because the calendar that came stock wasn't nice like Google calendar on a PC. But pure calendar is awesome.

Thanks, I will take a look at the "pure calendar."

Reactions: bawboh86

fdisker

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
My first smartphone, the Blackberry Storm 2, served me well for almost 12 months. I loved the push email, calendar and tight integration into my corporate email system.

As much as I liked the Blackberry the Thunderbolt represents a quantum leap forward. Sure, there's a learning curve involved going from one mobile OS to another but you're fooling yourself if you think Blackberry is still in this game. I think they'll be around for a while longer but they're not relevant in the space anymore. It's a two horse race between Apple and Google going forward.

My Storm2 sits in a drawer and will serve backup duty to the Thunderbolt for only as long as it takes me to upgrade to the next Android device.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
My first smartphone, the Blackberry Storm 2, served me well for almost 12 months. I loved the push email, calendar and tight integration into my corporate email system.

As much as I liked the Blackberry the Thunderbolt represents a quantum leap forward. Sure, there's a learning curve involved going from one mobile OS to another but you're fooling yourself if you think Blackberry is still in this game. I think they'll be around for a while longer but they're not relevant in the space anymore. It's a two horse race between Apple and Google going forward.

My Storm2 sits in a drawer and will serve backup duty to the Thunderbolt for only as long as it takes me to upgrade to the next Android device.

You maybe right about RIM. I, like many others, gave up on waiting for the Storm 3. And now that I have seen the specs, I don't believe it would have been worth the wait anyway.

zshazz

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
It's too bad you don't know how stock Android looks. I'm over Sense. It's okay, but I just prefer stock Android over it.

The battery has been pretty good to me so far... but if I have a weak signal (happens in one building I go into), the battery will drain right before my eyes. I'd imagine there will be radio updates that will improve that... and I'd imagine this is what's draining peoples' batteries in 6-8 hours.

Before you take back your Android device, I'd recommend you check out the various home replacements, SMS programs, Kik Messenger, Jorte, Astrid, Tasker (or Locale) if you'd like to program your device to do things when certain conditions are met, and others things that people recommend. Some of these things you will never see replicated on an Apple device or Blackberry... so it'd be nice to get acquainted with them so that you've had the experience.

I'm definitely keeping mine ... it's not perfect, but it's a fantastic device.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
People give Blackberry so much crap, and in my opinion, Blackberry doesn't get credit where it is due. Coming from a Blackberry user and a student at MIT, I have been wanting to upgrade to Android for a while now because of the power that is being put into Android processors these days along with upgraded hardware. The only thing that has stopped me from doing so is that my Blackberry does everything I need it to do. It is so reliable and though it doesn't have flashy software or hardware that your Androids and iPhones have, Blackberry devices do what they are supposed to do, and they do it well and with ease. I have been eligible for an upgrade for quite sometime now and still can't find it in me to get rid of my Blackberry.

I found it ironic that Verizon actually had some (unintentional) truth in their advertising.

Their commercial SHOWS just how much power is NEEDED to run a Thunderbolt! :D

Reactions: patkicker55

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was waiting for the Storm 3 forever! When Storm 2.5 was rumored I was so excited to get it. Glad it was canned.

The QNX BlackBerry phones may be good. We don't know yet. And we won't know for a while. I was ready for an upgrade after two years with the Tour.

I think I'm staying Android for a while.

Reactions: dlc423

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
It's too bad you don't know how stock Android looks. I'm over Sense. It's okay, but I just prefer stock Android over it.

The battery has been pretty good to me so far... but if I have a weak signal (happens in one building I go into), the battery will drain right before my eyes. I'd imagine there will be radio updates that will improve that... and I'd imagine this is what's draining peoples' batteries in 6-8 hours.

Before you take back your Android device, I'd recommend you check out the various home replacements, SMS programs, Kik Messenger, Jorte, Astrid, Tasker (or Locale) if you'd like to program your device to do things when certain conditions are met, and others things that people recommend. Some of these things you will never see replicated on an Apple device or Blackberry... so it'd be nice to get acquainted with them so that you've had the experience.

I'm definitely keeping mine ... it's not perfect, but it's a fantastic device.

I work mostly out side, never in a building or office very long. And when I am in a meeting, we shut off our phones.

Besides, I wanted to buy a phone - not a science project.

I've moved beyond trying to squeeze out better specs from my commuters and cars with after market "fixes". That kind of stuff is not fun for me anymore (if it ever was).

I want to buy a product that works right out of the box.

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm keeping mine! I love the tbunderbolt and its so fast compared to my old Droid 1. the battery isn't great, but with some tweaks it workaround very well and most of the day.

Eleer

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I found it ironic that Verizon actually had some (unintentional) truth in their advertising.

Their commercial SHOWS just how much power is NEEDED to run a Thunderbolt! :D

Android processors and hardware is advancing so fast. It is great to see things advancing quickly like this, but in order to enjoy the upgraded processors and speeds, we have to have a battery that is able to power these devices so that we can use them. Like I said, I do not have a Thunderbolt, but it seems crazy to only equip the phone with a 1400 mah battery. People seem to be crippling their phone just to be able to make it last for 5 hours (example: Dimming brightness down to 25%). Bottom line is developers need to focus on improving the actual battery itself now.

zshazz

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I work mostly out side, never in a building or office very long. And when I am in a meeting, we shut off our phones.

That's cool. I was just sharing my experience, but thanks for sharing yours too :)

Besides, I wanted to buy a phone - not a science project.

I'm not sure what that has to do with my post, but cool. I like a phone I have the ability to tweak and mess with, but I can certainly understand that some people like having something set up in a certain way and never have to worry about changing it.

I want to buy a product that works right out of the box.

Well, I think that's one place we differ in opinion. The product works out of the box. It just works better with tweaking (and arguably, with tweaking, works better than any other non-android phone out there)