Google maps is a good amount off

Con

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Apparently it thinks i'm located in the middle of the hudson river sometimes and other times i'm across the river.

From my apt, which I use the phone most often, its a good 15/20 miles off alot.

This is NYC, not some rural area w/ no towers.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It's probably not getting a GPS lock and using tower triangulation instead. Are all your GPS checkboxes checked in the settings?

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I only have Google location services checked and maps is only off by a few hundred feet. It shows me as being across the street. It's a little scary actually for only having Google location on.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Apparently it thinks i'm located in the middle of the hudson river sometimes and other times i'm across the river.

From my apt, which I use the phone most often, its a good 15/20 miles off alot.

This is NYC, not some rural area w/ no towers.

Mine has been doing the same thing - if I zoom in on my actual location, it will eventually "find" me.

Not sure if the zooming in has anything to do with it or it just needs a minute to figure out where I am.

dt

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
mine generally puts me off by a couple hundred feet... usually about... 4-5 blocks away from where i actually am... not accurate enough to be useful, but then again, i only have google location on as well

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Without GPS on, you're probably only getting an approximation based on your distance from the cell tower(s). I think you would need signal strength from three different cell towers at once to triangulate your position. Probably too weak or not enough towers nearby.

Turn on GPS if you need your actual position to be shown.

Con

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
yea i had all 3 of them checked on and its putting me a few subway stops off.

my blackberry was slower, however at least it located me in nyc

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that the GPS on the Thunderbolt is more finicky than my Nexus One. I've sometimes been locked onto 10 satellites with the Thunderbolt and it still won't give me my true location.

There is an app in the market called GPS Status. I use it to "kick start" the Thunderbolt's GPS and to monitor how many satellites my device is seeing.

I was even in the car today and couldn't get a lock in Google Maps, so I opened GPS status only to find I was being tracked by 10 satellites but the TB wouldn't give me a lock. GPS Status itself finally grabbed a lock which made Google Maps finally lock. My Nexus One right beside the TBolt locks fine all by itself.

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
it's not as good as my droid 2 or my old blackberries, but it's certainly 3248498270958723957832945932587957598370475937535975839 times better than that damn samsung captivate.

doctorPDA

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem. This seemed to work for me:

I downloaded "GPS Status & Toolbox" by EclipSim from the Market. Under "Menu", "Tools", click on "Manage A-GPS state". Then press "Download" to get GPS assistance data from the internet. That's not enough though, you have to press "Reset", which clears all cached GPS data. When I did this, I got a fix quickly.

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been doing the same thing - if I zoom in on my actual location, it will eventually "find" me.

Not sure if the zooming in has anything to do with it or it just needs a minute to figure out where I am.

Same EXACT issue here. All GPS services are on, on my TB

Makes FourSquaring difficult!

ak2j

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem. This seemed to work for me:

I downloaded "GPS Status & Toolbox" by EclipSim from the Market. Under "Menu", "Tools", click on "Manage A-GPS state". Then press "Download" to get GPS assistance data from the internet. That's not enough though, you have to press "Reset", which clears all cached GPS data. When I did this, I got a fix quickly.

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

This fixed my Google maps!!!! Whoo hoo!!!! Thanks for the tip.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc