Problems with 3G data? Don't hard reset, read this first!

panamoggler

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Actually while this method does work its a little more complicated then that.

Example, I have a co-worker, who was having this issue. voice would work but 3G data would not.

however my thunderbolt does not have the issue and worked fine will do voice and data at the same time.

I held them side by side and checked the settings one by one.

they were configured exactly identically.

now if it is simply an issue with eHPRD explain why mine worked fine and theirs did not.

I followed your instructions an now she is using the standard 3G network rev.A

My guess would be that it is a defect in the firmware, because it sounds more like a software issue with the handset, rather then one with the tower.

perhaps vzw will push a software update to fix the issue.

Last edited:

Astromech

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I showed this info to the Verizon tech and they basically ignored it. They did the usual thing, calling tech support. I have a open ticket but I don't see anything coming of it. I am going to return my phone tomorrow and hopefully get a new one. This follows my hard reset from tech support last Thursday which did nothing.

So to follow up on my issues. Tech support called me just now and told me they would not have time to complete my order. He said it sounds like my phone is the issue not the network. He told me to swap out phones for a new one today.
I really appreciate all of your insights and support. Hopefully my Bolt 2 will be what a majority of you are experiencing.

DCABuckeye

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If you're getting a good 3G, then the phrase applies: If it's not broke, don't fix it. I did the fix and then returned to the eHPRD and the issues was fixed. There appears to be no harm in this method. But again, if you're doing fine, no need to fix.

CFD323

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Stupid question, but how do you get to dial ##778#? When I punch it in and hit send, it just goes back to the dialer screen--no call is made. I guess I'm a moron...what am I doing wrong?!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Stupid question, but how do you get to dial ##778#? When I punch it in and hit send, it just goes back to the dialer screen--no call is made. I guess I'm a moron...what am I doing wrong?!
I can't imagine what you could do "wrong" when dialing those characters. You just dial 'em. Perhaps it has to do with something you've loaded onto your phone? Different launcher? Rooted? I dunno...

-Frank

AlpineM3#AC

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I only drop 3G ever so often....not that big of an issue with me and it just makes me cringe to do this since i've already altered it to not look for a 4G signal with the PhoneInfo app. I like to use my phone the way it was designed with the brightness set to automatic and refresh times pretty often. I understand some of our phone's or the Verizon network has been troublesome, but like one member above said - If it's not broken, why fix it.

Didn't mean to go on a rant, but i'm sure there are people having good experiences or minor issues and on the fence about doing something drastic like this........thoughts or results anybody?

a2ron

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Last night my TB went to 1X from 3G (don't have 4G yet) and stuck dispite soft resets, after working fine for a week. This morning at work, a coworker 5 feet away was getting 3G with his TB yet I was still stuck in 1X.

I tried the "eHPRD " fix described in this thread - no effect. I then tried the "CDMA (auto PRL)" fix and that had no effect either.

Reluctanly called Verizon Tech Support, tried forcing the System Select setting in Settings\Wireless & networks\Mobile networks to Automatic (neither the Home only or Automatic was selected for some reason), it stayed in Automatic but the phone still stuck in 1X. Elevated to 2nd Tier Tech, ran through all the settings again, no effect, then did a hard reset. The hard reset had no effect on the stuck in 1X either, got a trouble ticket for more support help.

After the 30+ minutes that it took to restore my Apps at 1x data speeds, I was back in business, so I tried the "CDMA (auto PRL)" fix again - no effect.

Then I tried the "eHPRD " fix again and after the reboot it was back in 3G land!

Many thanks!

Reactions: FrankXS

C.K400

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I woke up this morning to nothing but 1x, Went to verizon store and they did a hard reset, lost everything, still 1x, swapped phones for a brand new one! Still 1x, So I remembered on here something about this method from this thread. Well it worked and have 3g now BUT! I can make calls and surf the internet and this thread says it changes to rev a and can't do this until network is fixed and and we switch back Hmmmmm can some one explain this one to me :)

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Hard to actually define this whole mess since Verizon hasn't actually confirmed or denied anything about it. I thought switching to RevA would kill simultaneous voice and data, but if it's working for you, then I guess there's something else in play here. I actually got tired of it not being the way it's supposed to be, so I did a hard factory reset and now everything is working properly. At least for now...

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I woke up this morning to nothing but 1x, Went to verizon store and they did a hard reset, lost everything, still 1x, swapped phones for a brand new one! Still 1x, So I remembered on here something about this method from this thread. Well it worked and have 3g now BUT! I can make calls and surf the internet and this thread says it changes to rev a and can't do this until network is fixed and and we switch back Hmmmmm can some one explain this one to me :)

I haven't had this problem before today... tired of slow internet today, so i did this fix. Was wondering if it was just some issues with the network in my area since i haven't seen this problem (other that an obvious network outage for a few hours one day... that was reported here on AC).

I am in Texas too, what area are you in? Have you just started having the issue? I'm thinking they may be working on the network.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Last night my TB went to 1X from 3G (don't have 4G yet) and stuck dispite soft resets, after working fine for a week. This morning at work, a coworker 5 feet away was getting 3G with his TB yet I was still stuck in 1X.

I tried the "eHPRD " fix described in this thread - no effect. I then tried the "CDMA (auto PRL)" fix and that had no effect either.

Reluctanly called Verizon Tech Support, tried forcing the System Select setting in Settings\Wireless & networks\Mobile networks to Automatic (neither the Home only or Automatic was selected for some reason), it stayed in Automatic but the phone still stuck in 1X. Elevated to 2nd Tier Tech, ran through all the settings again, no effect, then did a hard reset. The hard reset had no effect on the stuck in 1X either, got a trouble ticket for more support help.

After the 30+ minutes that it took to restore my Apps at 1x data speeds, I was back in business, so I tried the "CDMA (auto PRL)" fix again - no effect.

Then I tried the "eHPRD " fix again and after the reboot it was back in 3G land!

Many thanks!
Thank you for this post. After much reading here, and much experimenting, I am thoroughly convinced that this issue is not a deeply embedded device hardware issue. It will be smoothed out as VZW's towers get upgraded/tweaked for better 4G performance (including switching from 1x, 3G, 4G), and as HTC/VZW rolls out fixes in the form of Gingerbread, PRL's and possibly others.

I am more than ever convinced (your story solidifies this for me) that we are all in a slightly different boat. This whole network picking algorithm employed by this phone is understandably complex. It's gonna take awhile.

Some might be interested in my story (as I said, we all have our individual "conditions" when it comes to RF).

I live in a 4G area. I'm only on the edge of 1x, 3G and once in a blue moon 1 bar of 4G at my house (which has steel siding that I affectionately call "RF Repellent" :) ). So... because of the lousy coverage (of anything) inside my basement level home office, I have a VZW 3G Network Extender.

Here's what's been happening to me... Out and around the metro area of my town (Denver) I am often in 4G territory. My ThunderBolt handles it fine. Switches quickly from 3G to 4G and back. No issues. I might add that when I have 4G the signal is usually strong (3-4 bars). No drops out experienced around town.

Now, back at my house... yeah, drop outs all the time. Especially when the phone is asleep and I wake it up to find no data connection. None. Even though I am sitting within a few feet of my 3G Network Extender. Then, it'll come back. Up in the bedroom (further away from the Network Extender but with better native coverage due to higher elevation and with windows) it's worse. Sometimes no data for a long time. If I unplug the Network Extender from the AC outlet I get weak 3G back (native tower).

What I found out today...

There are two "fixes" roaming around, one is the "Phone Info" fix to eliminate 4G and stick to 3G and the other is to enable CDMA auto PRL but to disable eHRPD. The eHRPD didn't do anything for my situation. But... the Phone Info 3G fix STOPPED ALL MY ISSUES AT HOME COLD! Now I get perfect performance at my home with my Network Extender on 3G. I just set it back to CDMA/LTE before I leave my house.

Now to the important part (I think). I believe what this proves is that when it comes to RF behavior, especially with the sophisticated technology required to make it switch back and forth as seamlessly as possible, this is not a phone or device hardware issue. This is an issue that will be fixed with software as the VZW network evolves to 4G almost everywhere, like 3G is now. It's just a matter of time.

For that matter, I suspect in the coming months VZW will be selling a 4G Network Extender (after I've already dropped $249 on the 1x and then $249 upgrading to the 3G :) ). Will it never end!

-Frank

C.K400

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I am in Tyler and I woke up this morning to the 1x and nothing else, I did this fix and still have VOD so I don't know what is goin on with this issue!!

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I am in Tyler and I woke up this morning to the 1x and nothing else, I did this fix and still have VOD so I don't know what is goin on with this issue!!

I am in Carthage (not that you know where that is), a little over an hour from you... Small world. Hopefully it is just a network thing in our area.

C.K400

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I am in Carthage (not that you know where that is), a little over an hour from you... Small world. Hopefully it is just a network thing in our area.

I work in the oil field and have spent about a quarter of my life there. I used to work for CETCO, it's in Beckville down the road a few mile from carthage. I know the place too well!!;)

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
how do we find out when the eHRPD network is back?

im not having issues at home so havent changed it yet, but when i was away i had problems and was just wondering if i should bother switching or if fixed by time i go away again this weekend

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
how do we find out when the eHRPD network is back?

im not having issues at home so havent changed it yet, but when i was away i had problems and was just wondering if i should bother switching or if fixed by time i go away again this weekend

bump