Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Seeking a Good News Widget or app and good reader

Good Evening Everyone,

I have been looking for a good new app and also a good reader app such as nook or whatever you all thing is good for this phone. Read ratings on nook and they are not so great, although I liked it on my iphone, as for the news app I did see MSNBC but wanted advice
    Last edited by lovy; 03-29-2011 at 11:23 PM.

ROM
    Stock

I actually miss the stock android news and weather widget but I have found a suitable replacement: Glass widget, it is pretty clean looking and you can plug in your own rss feed that you want. Plus it comes with a calendar and clock widget.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    Do not be too hasty entering that room: I HAD TACO BEEEELLLLL FOR LUNCH!!!
    Thanked by:
    lovy 
    Nexus Lover

Global Posts
    1,268 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB Build 4

go pulse news reader. it is the best quality and comes with 2 awesome looking widgets. you can add any RSS feed and view them easily. i use it all the time. it is perfect for viewing news as the stories will come through their news feed.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Add me on Google+

Link
    Thanked by:
    lovy 

If ur looking for RSS readers you can't beat Google's proprietary reader. As far as a book reader, I have a kindle so I use that. Everything syncs up nicey nice. Google books is good as well. I always try Google's stuff first. Its intergration is top notch.

News readers.... Pulse is pretty cool and for a goooooood laugh try onion news app.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    lovy 

As far as readers go, the stock Reader is almost awesome but gReader Pro (there is a free one / paid is $5-6) is the best I've found. Pulse is cool but it used to be better. It looks awesome but it is a resource / battery hog. It is mainly just flashy, looks good, but doesn't offer much.

Buzzbox, I believe, was cool ... the built in text downloader was awesome when it worked right. That'd be great with gReader Pro but you have article download for offline viewing. You do get a really decent web view within the app that works better than most as well. Many options so best to check around.

gReader Pro really is the best I've found with some of the tightest Google Reader integration with 2 way sync and practicality. By default the regular Google Reader app works but is pretty bland. $5 might seem like a bit much but it is totally worth it.
    Thanked by:
    lovy 

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SUB-dawg View Post
    go pulse news reader. it is the best quality and comes with 2 awesome looking widgets. you can add any RSS feed and view them easily. i use it all the time. it is perfect for viewing news as the stories will come through their news feed.
    I agree. Pulse is the best I've found so far. Really like the interface.
    Blackberry Curve ---> OG Droid ---> Samsung Fascinate ---> back to Droid--->Thunderbolt--->Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
    lovy 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for the input guys I am so new to this and not so savvy but I think I'm doing alright, I have a really dumb question and am sort of embarrassed to ask but here goes what do you all mean when you say that I can plug in my own RSS feed, *sigh* I don't even know what that is been in iphone4 prison for a while (although gotta love the iphone) it was no learning experience there, we just did what Jobs allowed.

RSS stands for Rich Site Summary and is basically a feed for a site. When an article gets posted / published its fed through the feed to you. You can use different apps to accomplish this. Essentially like how they work on a computer.

I guess by reader I thought you meant Google Reader ... maybe you meant books or something. But Google Reader is, in this instance, what most Android reader apps work on sync with. gReader Pro in this instance takes the standard Google Reader approach and builds on it.

To get an idea you can go to reader.Google.com and in conjunction with your Google account you can set a few up and see how it works. Then check out the default Google Reader app and get a feel then start trying out more.

Pulse is definitely cool but over time ive realized it works best with lesser feeds. I have a lot and that gReader Pro I keep mentioning (hint hint) handles lots of feeds better than most. Pulse has a jazzy layout but can be a battery hog and can get slow and I think that's more in part to its flashy but at times impractical layout.
    Thanked by:
    lovy 
    Banned

Global Posts
    626 Global Posts

as gman says...Google Reader works very well.
    Thanked by:
    lovy 

Standard Google Reader. Full syncing with the desktop version and a lot more clean and intuitive when it comes to sharing and emailing. Pulse is way too "busy" for my taste. I like clean and easy to use on my phone. There are widgets available for it as well when it's installed.
    Thanked by:
    lovy 
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue View Post
    RSS stands for Rich Site Summary and is basically a feed for a site. When an article gets posted / published its fed through the feed to you. You can use different apps to accomplish this. Essentially like how they work on a computer.

I guess by reader I thought you meant Google Reader ... maybe you meant books or something. But Google Reader is, in this instance, what most Android reader apps work on sync with. gReader Pro in this instance takes the standard Google Reader approach and builds on it.

To get an idea you can go to reader.Google.com and in conjunction with your Google account you can set a few up and see how it works. Then check out the default Google Reader app and get a feel then start trying out more.

Pulse is definitely cool but over time ive realized it works best with lesser feeds. I have a lot and that gReader Pro I keep mentioning (hint hint) handles lots of feeds better than most. Pulse has a jazzy layout but can be a battery hog and can get slow and I think that's more in part to its flashy but at times impractical layout.
    Thanks so much for the info, and ty all for your quick responses
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I'm sorry all in reference to a reader I should have been clearer, I meant to read book not crazy about kindle and I have alot of ebooks that i purchased from barnes and noble is there a way to transfer them to whatever book reader I use?