1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Default Dedicated hotspot device vs TBolt

Would a dedicated 4G mobile hot spot provide better mobile broadband service than using the TBolt as a hot spot? I'm moving into a new building that currently doesn't have internet, but is in a 4G area. Should I buy the Bolt, saving the cost of an extra line, or just get a separate mobile hotspot?

PS...my usage will consist of email and general internet browsing. No major DL/UL.

Quote Originally Posted by cabs hea View Post
    Would a dedicated 4G mobile hot spot provide better mobile broadband service than using the TBolt as a hot spot? I'm moving into a new building that currently doesn't have internet, but is in a 4G area. Should I buy the Bolt, saving the cost of an extra line, or just get a separate mobile hotspot?

PS...my usage will consist of email and general internet browsing. No major DL/UL.
    I would say the Thunderbolt should be good until you get internet. That way you aren't stuck with another contract. You can just drop the Mobile Hotspot feature whenever the building gets internet and you get it for free until May 15th anyway.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Is there a free mobile hotspot feature like on my rooted Inc?

I don't know if people actually know yet. We may not truly know until the Mobile Hotspot promo drops off on May 15th.

Well, I use my Thunderbolt for my primary internet device (and used other phones as primary when I had them). Granted, I'm a truck driver and mobile almost all the time so this method makes sense.

I also haven't had any issues from Verizon or any other previous carriers that I've done this with, and it definitely saves a lot of money.

Having said that, being in a 4G area, I've been playing online games and haven't had any issues with latency or download speed to enjoy the game.

While either rooted or non-rooted, there are ways to obtain free hotspot or tethering apps, it is against your terms of service to tether or otherwise use data through your phone on your computer unless you are subscribed to the mobile hotspot feature, paying that extra $20/month. But that doesn't mean that you have to use the mobile hotspot APP do to the tethering!

Quote Originally Posted by Malefickus View Post
    While either rooted or non-rooted, there are ways to obtain free hotspot or tethering apps, it is against your terms of service to tether or otherwise use data through your phone on your computer unless you are subscribed to the mobile hotspot feature, paying that extra $20/month. But that doesn't mean that you have to use the mobile hotspot APP do to the tethering!
    It should be noted that other major carriers (such as AT&T) are detecting and cracking down on people who use rooted or non-rooted tethering methods instead of the "official" hotspot/tethering app w/service fee. AT&T is actually notifying customers and automatically enrolling them in the service if they continue.

I would expect that Verizon would begin to enact that very same scanning and reporting.

Yeah, I'd seen posts about that somewhere, can't remember where. I subscribed to the mobile hotspot just to cover myself (was paying the extra for it before the Thunderbolt, but free for now until 5/15 due to promo) especially since my tethering is causing more data usage than if I was just using the phone. I also don't want to break my ToS and get caught. I just don't use the mobile hotspot app itself to do the tethering since the ToS doesn't explicitly state that I have to do so.