location services

superskaterxes

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
can someone give me a quick rundown on the difference between all the location services?

VZW location services

standalone GPS services

Google location services.

do we need them all? which ones dont we need?

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
They all stink.

Google maps on my Blackberry would show what room of my house i was in - NO KIDDING!

Google maps on the Thunderbolt can't even get within one block of where I am, sometimes it's off by a quarter mile! Other times it keeps jumping to different locations trying to find me.....and I'm not moving!!

I've tried every combination of the three services - none seem to be better or help.

Thunderbolt is a very nice phone - BUT - the Blackberry seems to work better on basic stuff like maps, calendars, email, texting, contacts, phone calls, battery life --- every thing needed for business.

Droid is more for fun and does sort of OK on the basics. If Droid could get the the basics down pat they would be unbeatable.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
They all stink.

Google maps on my Blackberry would show what room of my house i was in - NO KIDDING!

Google maps on the Thunderbolt can't even get within one block of where I am, sometimes it's off by a quarter mile! Other times it keeps jumping to different locations trying to find me.....and I'm not moving!!

I've tried every combination of the three services - none seem to be better or help.

Thunderbolt is a very nice phone - BUT - the Blackberry seems to work better on basic stuff like maps, calendars, email, texting, contacts, phone calls, battery life --- every thing needed for business.

Droid is more for fun and does sort of OK on the basics. If Droid could get the the basics down pat they would be unbeatable.

GPS off I assume?

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
can someone give me a quick rundown on the difference between all the location services?

VZW location services

standalone GPS services

Google location services.

do we need them all? which ones dont we need?

I don't know the difference but have all of these unchecked to no affect. When I use my Navigation I just turn GPS on and it tracks me great. I play with it on the way home from work every day. It follows me right where I am on the road and all the way to my garage. It's really cool using the satellite mode. When I get back home I turn it back off.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
found this yesterday, on another forum as i was doing some research

--thread response on similar topic from another site, user Razor02097:--
"Google location services isn't like a GPS service... It actually uses your VZW location service and/or GPS to acquire your location and using that you can search for things around you. For example... you want the phone number to the nearest Lowe's. Type "Lowe's" into Google and the first result should be the nearest location with address and phone number.

The VZW location services triangulate your location using the cell towers. This is the exact thing that E911 uses to track where the caller is. Enabling the VZW location services only allow apps to use that service to track your location.

In terms of increased battery life, It really depends on how much it is used...

The Stand alone GPS is just like it says. It is a GPS device that tracks your location. This is the most accurate type of location service. The phone is smart enough that it will only use the GPS when it is needed. So even if it is enabled it will not actually turn on until an app that tells it to do so. Battery life savings will depend on how much you and your apps normally used the GPS. Disabling it when you don't need it will not necessarily increase your battery life.

Look at widgets like weather and news. Most will poll your location using the VZW location service. Some might actually use the GPS. It really depends on the app. "

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
GPS is spot on for me.
Used it on two trips...
I had defender and now I bought seekdroid.
Both have an option to locate you...and both were spot on.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
GPS is spot on for me.
Used it on two trips...
I had defender and now I bought seekdroid.
Both have an option to locate you...and both were spot on.

I have not used it when I'm moving (driving) just when I've been at a stand still, at home, or in a parking lot - and it has always been waaaaay off.

I use a TomTom when traveling, but have also used Google maps (on my Blackberry) when I am in the middle of the state and want to "see" where I am to get my bearings. Google on my Blackberry was always spot on, I could watch "me" on the map to get me going in the right direction.

I don't know why Droid/Google can't do the same thing on this Thunderbolt.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not having the issues you are.
Funny you mention TomTom, I just gave mine to my girl.
I'm sure I'll miss the 5.0 screen on it, but one device for navigation, music, Bluetooth, text, email, etc. And the display is so much snappier and cleaner than my TT was. I kept my TT updated at least once a week, kept the current maps (paid for 18 months worth on sale)...

It takes about 5 to 10 seconds to lock on while in a moving vehicle...just a few seconds while still and a decent view of the sky.

Sorry to read/hear about all your troubles.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not having the issues you are.
Funny you mention TomTom, I just gave mine to my girl.
I'm sure I'll miss the 5.0 screen on it, but one device for navigation, music, Bluetooth, text, email, etc. And the display is so much snappier and cleaner than my TT was. I kept my TT updated at least once a week, kept the current maps (paid for 18 months worth on sale)...

It takes about 5 to 10 seconds to lock on while in a moving vehicle...just a few seconds while still and a decent view of the sky.

Sorry to read/hear about all your troubles.

Thanks, but you haven't heard the HALF of all my troubles. ;)

VCL

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Just did the Google maps up date - it is STILL showing me a half mile down the road from my house on the map.
I have the same issue but that is when I have te Google location or Verizon location checked off. If I check off the GPS locator it puts me spot on my house. I think that is normal, might use the local towers as locators. Going to investigate this a little more. My Nexus One had me about 3 blocks away due to the tower was there, My Verizon tower LTE is about 1/8th of a mile and that is where it has me.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I usually keep only two of them on - GPS and Google Location. I wanted to keep only one - GPS, but the Clock/Weather Widget won't do current location without the Google Locator on.

-Frank

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes