Get your exchange complete BEFORE April 1st

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Does your 6th one still have the light leakage?
Nope no light leaking on this one and no issues with earpiece of screen been not on straight. They did point out they had just receieved this batch and showed me the new TB on box had Green and Yellow dot on box and all previous shipments had Green dots. Also when I went to Bestbuy to get my Zagg shield switched over I asked if I could see their supply and he showed me all boxed only had Green dot. So here is to hoping I got a second generation build or at least updated from orginal batch.

DROIDFREAK

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Am I the only one around here that thinks light leakage is no reason to return a phone? How exactly does a little bit of light from the bottom buttons impair usage enough to warrant a new device? The only "light leakage" I have is only visible when I look down on those buttons from a roughly 60 degree angle. How is that a problem? I never came close to even thinking about a replacement for that reason. If someone wants to enlighten me as to how this could be a deal breaker, I'd love to hear it.

Because when you watch the Verizon thunderbolt commercials that come on 95 times a day, they don't really say " hey come in in and grab this sleek new device that does all of this cool S#!&, and ........It has this sweet "unfinished" look where light shines through the freaking buttons!!!!!!!! and its only 250.00 (if you qualify for promotional pricing)....

Thats why

sorry

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I see nothing wrong with a policy that causes people who abuse exchange periods to have to pay...it costs VZW money to keep refurbing these phones. 6 is alot. I would charge you too.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
You should never buy anything again if you're that damn anal about a little light leakage. I'm OCD as hell and the light leakage doesn't even bother me.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
So if they sell you 5 subpar devices you should keep the 6th so you're not a bother?

No....if you keep getting lemons then return it, demand your money back and move onto another device don't keep exchanging it. Why put yourself through all that hassle??? If you return the device and go with another manufacture then HTC will get the hint as well as Verizon. If your a fool that keeps going back saying "please may I have another", well then....good on you, your a glutton for punishment.

I would have given up at exchange number 3 then I would have demanded my money back and demanded they waive the restocking fee because obviously every phone is defective.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand this comment. If it's not a deal breaker for you (it happens to not be for me), then cheers. However, a part of the selling point of a phone is aesthetic. Some may feel that the light leak effects the aesthetics, therefore the phone is not the value they bargained for, so back it goes.

And to this thread in general (and actually message boards in general), I don't understand all the hating. All the OP did was share an experience. Why do some people feel the need to flame, insult, question how many phones he returned, why, etc. He wasn't looking for that.

Because users like the OP are the reason why the cost of the devices are going up, why policies are changing for the worst, why insurance companies are charging more for phone replacements, etc. Sorry, but it's the truth.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread. 1st: If you return within 14 days you can CANCEL THE WHOLE DEAL INCLUDING THE CONTRACT! If they want to call your complaint unfounded, CANCEL YOUR VZW CONTRACT! No questions asked. (I think that will get their attention).

As for manufacturing defects, you have a one year WARRANTY! You can return any bona fide, demonstratable, defective phone anytime within the first year for an exchange. No charge! You don't even need insurance or an extended warranty to do this.

Now... AFTER THE ONE YEAR POINT, you may have more difficulty. This is where purchasing an extended warranty can help, or having purchased insurance for loss or damage.

Personally, I agree with VZW taking steps to prevent frivolous returns. Granted, they are on a slippery slope. But with good judgment, they are within their rights, IMHO.

-Frank

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I feel very guilty. Got my TB on release day. It has no light leaks, screen is on straight, sound and phone quality couldn't be better, power button works as intended, I am getting 16-18 hours of battery life on stock. I really like Sense and have since giving up on Storm a year ago and buying an INC. Only reason I went TB is my college senior son begged me for the INC and I had an available NE2. Oh, never had a bit of problem with the INC and truth be known other than the horrible browser had no issues with the Storm 1.

So I feel really guilty that so many of you are having serious problems. Six returns? I guess I have to mention my favorite adage. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, or six times shame on me.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah cause it's my fault there is issues with my phone right? *rolls eyes* I paid $250 x 3 so far so you can take your attitude elsewhere I was more then within my right. They could of declined it every time and they said it was valid problems.

All 5 phones leaked light. You lost all credibility right there. Good luck.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Because users like the OP are the reason why the cost of the devices are going up, why policies are changing for the worst, why insurance companies are charging more for phone replacements, etc. Sorry, but it's the truth.
If I was still as fustrated as I was earlier I would say hey you read the post about not personal attacks / insults so grow up please? I do NOT abuse anything and I'm certainly not the reason for policy change that was already happening before TB launch lol. I have had 3+ lines service for nearly 8 years. In that time I have NEVER exchanged a device and only reason I got this phone is because I was offered early upgrade because the 2.2 OTA update bricked the call quality and starting causing dropped calls on my Incredible.

So as if people actually read the whole thread instead of just picking what they want to see or commenting on quoted commments that don't tell full story. I didn't just return it cause the buttons had some small pin of light if you held the phone upside down and danced on your head to see it. I have MULTIPLE issues and 2 of the exchanges were choices of the store not something I asked for. They were opening up the new device and starting the activation and noticed the faulty power button, tons of light leaking from bottom of phone and line above the home button. So everyone is entitled to an opinion and you should just be greatful you didn't have to pay what I have so far and gone through never ending struggle since 18th.

So in closing it is customers like me who have now have 3 open tickets with HTC and 2 phones on they way to them to get these software / light leaking issues addressed. People just saying hey no big deal DOES NOT fix these issues that are affecting tons of users. People showing these flaws exsist lets Verizon and HTC realize they need to react to the problems and fix them. Never expected a perfect phone and software updates can fix and address many issues but if phone has design flaws like we have seen with TONS of phones before I want companies that I love like HTC to stop rushing out products and spend more time with them being tested and fixed before released..not after.

Reactions: samuraifortruth

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
All 5 phones leaked light. You lost all credibility right there. Good luck.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
I'll gladly give you the store I worked with number and you can call and eat your words? What benifit do I have at ALL from making this up lol did you even think before you posted? Please explain to me in looking at my post besides this thread where I have passed on useful information to help others with this device has any bearing on making up some BS thread for what gain?

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
OK, I usually don't jump in on threads that have gone this direction. First, iLLusive, thanks for the post as some people may not be aware of what can happen if there are not issues with their device. There has always been this form of policy out with VZW. It may not have been strictly enforced but it was there. I was warned about it when I couldn't recreate an issue my wife was having with her BB Storm two years ago. If you think about it, there is a very real chance that someone buying multiple phones from the same store may have the same issue. Based on the assembly line and shipping, the same lot may very well go to the same store. If a "light leak" is listed on the issues that warrant a replacement phone then the OP has the right to 6 or 100 phones till he is satisfied that he is getting what he paid for.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
OK, I usually don't jump in on threads that have gone this direction. First, iLLusive, thanks for the post as some people may not be aware of what can happen if there are not issues with their device. There has always been this form of policy out with VZW. It may not have been strictly enforced but it was there. I was warned about it when I couldn't recreate an issue my wife was having with her BB Storm two years ago. If you think about it, there is a very real chance that someone buying multiple phones from the same store may have the same issue. Based on the assembly line and shipping, the same lot may very well go to the same store. If a "light leak" is listed on the issues that warrant a replacement phone then the OP has the right to 6 or 100 phones till he is satisfied that he is getting what he paid for.

6 - 100 returns?? :confused: Why would you go through that??? Brand loyalty?? I mean after the second or third one I would have started questioning the quality of the device and moved onto another brand and not put up with it and that my friend would capture HTC attention more than people just exchanging it. When you return it, they lose more money, they lose an entire sale...exchanging it, they lose less money when they refurb that phone and resell it at a small loss, no biggie. It's suppose to be 1 in a 100 are defective, not 1 in 100 are not defective.

I am so confused as to why anyone would put up with so many defects and keep coming back for more? I just don't get it and maybe that's the problem.

Yes, I own a Thunderbolt and have no issues with it but if I did have issues with it, I wouldn't go through so many defects to find that one that is perfect. I'm not anyone's QA department unless HTC (or any other manufacturer) paid me to be or gave me the phone for free to find all the defects for them.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
6 or 100 phones was a hyperbole. There are not many alternatives right now for the TB, switching carriers isn't an option for some.

jcastag

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
as I said before, why should customers accept devices with obvious defects in manufacturing. If VZW and HTC are so worried aobut the cost tied to returned devices they should have done a better job of making sure the device quality was better from the start.

This is an example of companies cutting cost with the result of quality and then passing lower grade products along to the customer while charging a premium!!!

FatTony666#AC

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand this comment. If it's not a deal breaker for you (it happens to not be for me), then cheers. However, a part of the selling point of a phone is aesthetic. Some may feel that the light leak effects the aesthetics, therefore the phone is not the value they bargained for, so back it goes.

And to this thread in general (and actually message boards in general), I don't understand all the hating. All the OP did was share an experience. Why do some people feel the need to flame, insult, question how many phones he returned, why, etc. He wasn't looking for that.

Alright, you got me. I actually haven't seen the pictures of the leakage you are talking about. I see your point and have to agree. I guess I've just always been lucky to get good builds in the past. Best of luck getting a solid device like mine. It is really a joy.

Thank you for taking the time to read my second post where I state that I misunderstood the problem... a$$ hat...

Reactions: samuraifortruth

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry all...
Bad once, shame on them.
Bad 2, 3, 4, 5th time..shame on me.

I'm not saying the OP hasn't posted elsewhere and been very helpful...
I'm just saying 6th one? C'mon.

Sorry, I don't need to call anyone about the bad lot of phones you got, any more than you need to call the thousands upon thousands whose phones are just fine (and aren't represented by the 1% of the forum users in the grand scheme of things).

Not attacking, nothing personal....I just think the OP is looking for just a little too much.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
6 or 100 phones was a hyperbole. There are not many alternatives right now for the TB, switching carriers isn't an option for some.

If you are talking 4G wise, no there isn't, yet. There are quite a few 4G phones coming out very soon with 4G so one could wait. But there are a TON of other cell phones on the market.

That's like saying I bought this 100MPG car, which is the only 100MPG car on the market BUT, the wheels keep falling off as I drive.....but hey....it's got 100MPG!!!!