Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

ROM
    bamf forever 1.10/3++

I believe so but I may be wrong. It might check and update only when it tries to get a fix in the app. I think once you do it once though you're good unless you're not staying in the same locale from day to day. If you continue to have troubles it's a simple matter of opening the app someplace where you can get a gps lock.

Also I get 4/4 to 7/7 satellites depending on the time of day.

-stock HTC Thunderbolt tapatalk
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Did what the instructions said and turned off the Verizon service and it works so far.

Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    ROM
    LiquidICSv1.5 MR3V1 JMOD

Tried all the tricks here. Still no dice.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    DAS BAMF 1.6.3 LeanKernel

I think it's the Google Navigation app itself.

I got quick GPS lock if I use Google Maps. But if I open Google Navigation immediately, even from Google Maps itself, Google Navigation will say "Searching for GPS...."

Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    ROM
    LiquidICSv1.5 MR3V1 JMOD

Fantastic. LOL glad I have a product I can't use because the product doesn't function correctly.

ROM
    stock

Default Re: Thunderbolt GPS Navigation Issue??

Quote Originally Posted by Dr3us View Post
    Install GPS Status from the market, then:

Menu -> Tools -> Manage AGPS -> Reset

Menu -> Tools -> Manage AGPS -> Download

Used these instructions from someone in XDA forums and it worked like a charm!
    I sat outside for 15 minutes waiting for a lock, but it wouldn't lock.
    Found this tip, and tried it out.
    After reseting the AGPS, I got a lock,within seconds. Sweet!

Before the reset, it showed 2 satellites. After the reset I had 6 and I was still sitting in the same position.
    What the heck? It's sad that an app developer on the market makes a better GPS product than Google...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldLeader View Post
    I sat outside for 15 minutes waiting for a lock, but it wouldn't lock.
    Found this tip, and tried it out.
    After reseting the AGPS, I got a lock,within seconds. Sweet!

Before the reset, it showed 2 satellites. After the reset I had 6 and I was still sitting in the same position.
    What the heck? It's sad that an app developer on the market makes a better GPS product than Google...
    I was having the same problem and decided to take the phone to the local Verizon service center to get them to check it out. I had been using a third party Seidio battery (which I purchased for the longer battery life). So, in the event that they switched out the phone, I put the original battery back in. And guess what? When I checked the nagivation/gps functions while waiting, I found they all worked fine. It's the first time they worked since I changed the battery out to the Seidio, so I can only associate the problem with the battery. I don't know why this makes any sense, but it does. So, I can only suggest that if you are using something other than the original battery, throw the original back in and see if it works properly.

Quote Originally Posted by jtthunderbolt View Post
    I was having the same problem and decided to take the phone to the local Verizon service center to get them to check it out. I had been using a third party Seidio battery (which I purchased for the longer battery life). So, in the event that they switched out the phone, I put the original battery back in. And guess what? When I checked the nagivation/gps functions while waiting, I found they all worked fine. It's the first time they worked since I changed the battery out to the Seidio, so I can only associate the problem with the battery. I don't know why this makes any sense, but it does. So, I can only suggest that if you are using something other than the original battery, throw the original back in and see if it works properly.
    Your battery door may not have been put on properly too. When you swapped them out it was probably put back on the right way. All the antennas are in the battery door so if it is loose, you will have reception and GPS issues.

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.11 3++

Quote Originally Posted by elemerica View Post
    Can also try this if rooted:
    This is a MOD posted today in IRC(#thunderbolt) today by Ziggy471 that has improved GPS lock for myself and others that have tried it.

Instructions:
    With Root Explorer (or similar app) go to /etc/gps.conf

In Root Explorer long press on the file and select open in text editor

Change the first line from: NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org to NTP_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org

Save changes and reboot

Credit: Ziggy471
    I am unable to edit this as it is read only. I am rooted and the editor also has superuser access.

Using the new Total Commander

I had the same problem and tried all the tricks, GPS status, gpsfix all that stuff and the only thing that seemed to have worked was when I put on my extended battery door. I get instant lock and NAV.

Quote Originally Posted by craigrn16 View Post
    I had the same problem and tried all the tricks, GPS status, gpsfix all that stuff and the only thing that seemed to have worked was when I put on my extended battery door. I get instant lock and NAV.
    Sounds like your stock battery door has contact problems or it was just loose.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Here's an unconventional thought!

-Frank

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr3us View Post
    Install GPS Status from the market, then:

Menu -> Tools -> Manage AGPS -> Reset

Menu -> Tools -> Manage AGPS -> Download

Used these instructions from someone in XDA forums and it worked like a charm!
    genius, it locked instantly after doing this, thanks

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

I too have been having GPS issues with my TB. I came on to this thread last night and found the suggestion about running GPS Status. WOW! All I can say is thank you!

The Navigation program would take forever "searching for GPS" before it would ever lock on. Sometimes it would lock on in a short amount of time, only to lose the GPS signal. Sometimes it would never lock on.

The long and short is that I downloaded GPS Status last night, followed the directions, and tried the Nav on the phone today. From the moment I started it up, and entered my destination, it locked on right away. There wasn't a moments hesitation. It stayed on the entire 63 mile trip and behaved similar for the return trip.

I can now stop looking for a dedicated GPS.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123