Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thunderbolt GPS Navigation Issue??

I posted this in the problem and resolution section but didn't see an answer.

Anyone have issues with their navigation? Use to love my DINC because the navigation worked so well so I expected the same from the Thunderbolt. I'm having issues where when I type in an address, it keeps showing "searching for GPS", sometimes it'll pick up and work, but sometimes it doesn't. Any tips to fix this??
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

I've also noticed that sometimes it takes a while for the GPS to get connected/sync. It seems to maybe be harder when I'm on the move.

I am having the same problem. My DInc would lock on right away but my TB is hit or miss. Yesterday it just would not lock on and I was outside in the clear where it should have no problem... HTC needs to catch wind of this and find a fix

Update: I tried the fix mentioned just below by Dr3us (I also found in on XDA) and it significantly decreased the gps searching time. It is almost as fast as my Dinc was now. I am very pleased with the fix! Thank goodness for these forums
    Last edited by musicman555; 04-03-2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: problem solved

Install GPS Status from the market, then:

Menu -> Tools -> Manage AGPS -> Reset

Menu -> Tools -> Manage AGPS -> Download

Used these instructions from someone in XDA forums and it worked like a charm!
    Thanked by 14:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.10

I had this issue one time. I will try what Dr3us suggested.
    "Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt Hoooooooo!" - Lion-O

I wouldn't call it an issue more like it takes longer to find a signal than the DINC in which I would have to agree with.

Sent From My Xoom or Thunderbolt, pick one

Quote Originally Posted by TreyDaPrince View Post
    I wouldn't call it an issue more like it takes longer to find a signal than the DINC in which I would have to agree with.

Sent From My Xoom or Thunderbolt, pick one
    Ditto here. The Dinc took a few seconds. The Bolt takes close to 20... I think it SEEMS longer when you're hoping you don't take a wrong turn Mine always locks, and when it does it's spot on.
    Please Thank me or Add to my Reputation if I've helped you!

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

No issues for me either. I had it connect and lock on in just a few seconds on several occasions. Full disclosure .... it's been in my car dock with a clear line of site each time I've used navigation. Perhaps that's why it's so fast.

ROM
    Infected Eternity R194

I used mine last weekend and no problems finding my location or tracking. I wish in the navigation window it would tell you how many satellites you were connected to.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Hadnt been having problems until yesterday, now it's been talking up to 30 minutes.

Ive used it a few times, and it seems just about on par with my OG Droid for navigation purposes.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,698 Global Posts

Mine takes a while to lock on the gps signal. If I put the phone on the dashboard it finds the gps signal quicker.

ROM
    Stock/Franco

used mine the other day. took about 2-5 min to lock the gps after that it worked perfectly.
    Devices: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Same problems started yesterday?

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Just install GPS status as posted on page 1 of this thread and follow the instructions. It fixes the problem and has worked perfectly on mine and my wifes Thunderbolt. Hope this helps.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Im having this issue as well, very annoying..

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr3us View Post

This worked like a charm. Thanks so much!

J

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by jrmckinn View Post
    This worked like a charm. Thanks so much!

J
    Did the same now no problems. Thanks

Thanks for the info. I too downloaded this app just now. Earlier today, I too had the same issue using Navigation (by Google) whereby it took awhile with the message reading Searching For GPS, or something similar. I then exited out of Google's Navigation, and then started up Verizon Navigation, and after several moments the Verizon GPS app worked. This may be the only reason I continue to keep paying $9.99 a month for the Verizon Navigation app. Hopefully, the Google Navigation app will now work properly after installing the GPS Status app, otherwise I will most likely keep the Verizon Navigation app.

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr3us View Post

everyone should do this...i did it earlier and gps locks within 3 seconds max

So my question is, do we only need to do this Menu/Tools/Reset procedure once? Or every single time prior to starting up Google Navigation?? Thanks, Casey

Quote Originally Posted by djcyph View Post
    everyone should do this...i did it earlier and gps locks within 3 seconds max
    Agreed. Had the same issue with GPS. Used the GPS Status app and now it locks on instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey415 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I too downloaded this app just now. Earlier today, I too had the same issue using Navigation (by Google) whereby it took awhile with the message reading Searching For GPS, or something similar. I then exited out of Google's Navigation, and then started up Verizon Navigation, and after several moments the Verizon GPS app worked. This may be the only reason I continue to keep paying $9.99 a month for the Verizon Navigation app. Hopefully, the Google Navigation app will now work properly after installing the GPS Status app, otherwise I will most likely keep the Verizon Navigation app.
    Drop the VZW app immediately and just do what was said earlier. Yet to see someone saying that fix didn't work for them and worst case is every once in awhile you may have to pop back into the GPS Status app to repeat the process.

No need to be paying $10 a month for something you've got for free already.

ROM
    Stock

Oh my god I love the forums. Thanks so much for this tip. Really fixed my gps issues! I was getting so angry about this, as my old droid was fantastic at finding location and I expected the same functionality in my new device. So relieved to see it working properly!

ROM
    Stock

Mine closes right away when I'm done typing in the destination / address line after I hit enter. What gives?

Edit: Found the problem. I just defrosted it from Titanium Backup and now works like a champ.
    Last edited by Droid_Evo_8; 04-04-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast