anyone try slingbox?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
So I'm a big NBA fan.. bought league pass but can't watch home games.. they are blacked out!so I have a old slingbox.. in the app store the slingbox app is 29.99 want to get a review or video if someone tested it with the thunderbolt before I buy...

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it works.

I was in Vegas all weekend streaming games on my TBolt. I have the extended battery so it didn't even take a hit on the battery. Sweet! I should note though that I have high speed internet (6-10mb I think) at home and have the Slingbox Pro-HD. Just make sure your home internet connection speed meets Slingbox's requirements. Also, not sure about older slingboxes and how they affect the ability to stream on phones. Check Slingbox's site for specs and help. At least you know its possible on the TB...and it looks great! :)

Good luck!

Vphung

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried using SlingBox and SlingPlayer but it seems choppy and freezes from time to time. Do you see this issue? Are you using the latest version of SlingPlayer 1.2?

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I use Slingplayer all the time. However with the player for Android it is stated on thier website that the older Slingbox's would not guarentee a good stream. Need Slingbox-HD,or Pro-HD.

fyrekraker

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
only the new sling boxes work, but other than that it has always worked like a charm for me

HD with 4g/wifi ...I keep it at SD on 3g tho

I'd like to add that the difference between HD and ST is minimal with the size of the TB's screen. I use it all the time with an HD-Pro @ home and wi-fi @ work

cjmcubed

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
slingplayer freeze

I have a total of 3 slingboxes. 2 are classic sb-100 (connected with straight coax-direct cable feed) as well as slingbox solo (composite from set top box) All 3 are in different locations, the 2 classics are on 15down/2up connections and the solo is on a 35down/35up connection. I have used all 3 of these on a Motorola Droid, HTC incredible, Droid X, and now on this Thunderbolt. They have always worked like a charm, I have never had any problem viewing any of the 3 slings on any of the phones until I got this thunderbolt. The app seems to open fine and within 10-20 seconds the picture will freeze completely, however the sounds continues to work. I have tried reinstalling the app and installing directly from the market and problem persists. An issue with data connectivity forced a reset of the phone which I was hoping would have an effect on the slingplayer app, however it still freezes. I am hoping I am not alone in this and an update will correct this soon.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm actually trying to figure out if this is worth the purchase, I want to watch baseball games while at work. Only issue I have is that the slingboxes don't do HDMI, still worth the purchase?

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually trying to figure out if this is worth the purchase, I want to watch baseball games while at work. Only issue I have is that the slingboxes don't do HDMI, still worth the purchase?

Component and HDMI produce the same quality stream. If you're talking about pass through from the box to the TV, I agree, it's inconvenient. I ended up using a secondary TV in my house (not my main TV) that I watch far less often than my main one. So it was a fine compromise.

cjmcubed

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
worth it for sure

I would have to say it is definitely worth it, I purchased mine for basketball games and would and have recommended the setup to others.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Component and HDMI produce the same quality stream. If you're talking about pass through from the box to the TV, I agree, it's inconvenient. I ended up using a secondary TV in my house (not my main TV) that I watch far less often than my main one. So it was a fine compromise.

I didn't think of that, however the router's setup with my main system :(

Reactions: GSDer

Vphung

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My picture is choppy and freezes sometimes. Does anyone see the same thing and can it be related to Lookout or another app running in the background?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have it and it works great over 4G and/or WIFI (haven't really tested over 3G). I have a Slingbox Solo that's a few years old, still works like a charm!

My picture is choppy and freezes sometimes. Does anyone see the same thing and can it be related to Lookout or another app running in the background?

Could be that, or it could be the data connection on the Slingbox's end. If you can watch online on a laptop and the picture is good, at least you could narrow it down to the client on the TB.

Vphung

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, it works find on a laptop and on an iPhone but is only choppy or freezes after sometime when using on TB. Slingplayer is v1.2. Any other suggestions. Tried to run right after a restart and same issues. I could not disable backup assistant but it should not run during the day.

Vphung

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow, nice. What do you have installed? Any launchers, or anti-virus programs or widgets? I'm trying to isolate the issue since most seem to not have issues but mine seems to be some sort of memory issue. I can hear audio fine but the picture freezes and then the phone seems sluggish after I have Slingplayer on for a bit.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have Lookout Security open. Of course, since I'm not rooted, there's the bunch of bloatware that's open in the background. I do not have any widgets constantly checking anything online active - no LifeStream, mail, or anything like that. I've tried the player on 3G, 4G, and WiFi and it has worked well on all but the image quality is lower at 3G speeds.

I have the Slingbox connected to a TiVo which allows me to watch Netflix content.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Wow, nice. What do you have installed? Any launchers, or anti-virus programs or widgets? I'm trying to isolate the issue since most seem to not have issues but mine seems to be some sort of memory issue. I can hear audio fine but the picture freezes and then the phone seems sluggish after I have Slingplayer on for a bit.

What kind of connection are you using? 3G, 4G, Wifi? (my apologies if you've already answered that).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084