Bluetooth In Call Volume Setting

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
When using my bluetooth speaker to make a call, the voice prompt volume is very low. I can adjust it with the rocker switch, but it only lasts for that call and that kind of defeats the purpose of hands free dialing. Does anyone know if there is a way to set the volume and have it stay set, preferably without rooting the phone? The prompt I believe is Bluetooth In Call Volume.

Sorry, but I am new to Android (from Iphone 3GS) and don't want to mess up my warranty by screwing up a phone root...at least until I am more familiar with it.

Thanks,

WG

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't have a bluetooth speaker but when I raise or lower the volume whether using the headset, speakerphone, or regular bluetooth the volume stays where I last set it. Have you noticed this trend when talking through the headset?

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine stays, but be aware of the fact that even if your phone is locked and the screen is off, the volume rocker is still active and if you hit the volume down key the volume will go down.

I see this as good and bad. Good that you don't have to unlock the phone to adjust volume, but bad because it seems like the volume key is always getting hit in my pocket.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

Ok, my problem is only on the voice prompt volume. Once the other person answers or I answer, the volume is fine. Also, I have tried this on numerous occasions by starting the voice prompt, checking the bluetooth in call volume, adjusting it all the way up, completing the call and then hanging up. I will then hit the power button to lock the phone and I then try to initiate another call via voice dialing and the volume is back down to the halfway point where it was on the first call.

I went over to the local Verizon store and talked with the manager and he has noticed the same thing when he tries to play music over his BT speaker.

This is probably for me, the most disappointing part of the phone as part of the reason I got rid of the Iphone was for similar issues, only there I could not adjust that volume at all.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Ohhh, sorry about that. I think thats just a limitation of the phone. I've never tried this if Android and iPhone can't do it, I don't know what can? Maybe you're old Blackberry? Sorry bro. =/

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, probably caused by some weenie lawyer who told HTC or Verizon that if they didn't set the volume low, someone would lose their hearing and sue them.

Anyway, not a serious enough problem to dump the phone, but would be nice to have it fixed somehow.

Thanks anyway.

KarbonKopy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem. My phone starts out any call on bluetooth at half volume. After the call if I call someone else, it starts at half again, but it seems to be at random. Very, very annoying.

Sparkyvett

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree, when I try to start a call by pushing the button on my bluetooth its very hard to hear until the actual call starts. I wish they could increase it.

kakistocrat

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar problem, but for me, my bluetooth in call volume defaults to the lowest setting, which is completely inaudible. I can turn it up in the call, but it goes back to 10% after I hang up. When I receive a call, I can hear the ring, but when I answer the call I have to turn the volume all the way up before I can hear the person. Kind of defeats the purpose of hands-free calling. Perhaps wgragg is right that this is all because of some POS lawyer. Maybe I should get in a car accident while I'm fumbling to turn up the volume and sue them for that!

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about a workaround, that would be nice. Is there a file that stores default volume settings that can be tweaked?

tonygtech posted this in another thread, haven't tried it yet:

EDIT-- holycrap IT WORKS!

To set a higher in-call volume level for your bluetooth to fix problem of not being able to hear prompts
because of the low volume, the higher level is set as default:
1. Goto settings, wireless, bluetooth and unpair headset.
2. set headset for pairing
3. place a call and stay in the call for the following steps
4. go back to settings, wireless, bluetooth and scan for device
5. now be ready to adjust volume rocker.
6. select headset for pairing
7. an in-call volume slider will pop up, use volume rocker to set default in-call volume.
It seems to hold at that setting

Last edited:

SturmDrang

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Same issue for me, HTC M8 running KitKat. Every time I connect to a Bluetooth speaker (no matter what volume setting I used during initial pairing) the sound level reverts to so low as to be inaudible. Any hints to maintain the volume at a higher level. Have tried the re-pairing hint without success... P.S. I reboot my phone frequently. Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz