Problem with syncing? Extremely frustrated.

aliasneo07

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys/gals. Got my thunderbolt yesterday. Love it in every way except the BATTERY life. In fact, it's so bad I'm considering returning it.

So heres the deal. I do not have 4G where I live. I charged my phone all the way up. Unplugged it, and took a 4 hour nap. GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth all off, no music or anything, and obviously the display was off. Woke up and it was almost at 50%. I go to the battery usage thing and it says Cell Standby was by far the biggest user. What the hell?

This is very un-technical but I look at the top of my screen and see the syncing icon (At least I think that's what it is.) It's a circle with two arrows. That thing. Well, it's constantly there. Literally. Is my phone syncing constantly? That's really odd.

Any ideas? I really don't want to return this thing but to be at 50-60% after 4 hours unplugged and literally no use is unacceptable.

Whats going on with that syncing thing?

Thanks in advance everyone! Android semi-newb here!

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Have you read any of the very detailed posts concerning battery life? There a number of things you can do, I charge mine once a day for about 5 hours and that's it. Yes, there are apps that sync but many you can control. Read the manual and read the posts.

jimboballer

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the HTC Sense for Facebook syncing? I was having the same issue. Removed that and started using the Facebook market app instead and have had no issues since.

aliasneo07

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Have you read any of the very detailed posts concerning battery life? There a number of things you can do, I charge mine once a day for about 5 hours and that's it. Yes, there are apps that sync but many you can control. Read the manual and read the posts.

Yes. I disabled all of them except mail, google, facebook, and backup assistant. I still don't see why anything should be CONSTANTLY syncing. Is this the backup assistant?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I disabled all of them except mail, google, facebook, and backup assistant. I still don't see why anything should be CONSTANTLY syncing. Is this the backup assistant?

Ok, assumed from your first post that you didn't know how to do any of that. Backup only syncs when you tell it to, and should just be very brief. Can't say about Facebook, its a total waste of time IMO so I don't use it. It could be the problem. Not sure what you mean by "google". You mean Gmail? I could see where that, or Facebook could be constantly on if they are having trouble accessing your account, or your phone, or both. Blockbuster also tries to update itself, even if you've never touched it. Open it, go to the Market and do an update, then you can tell to not update from within the app.

Have you checked About Phone, Battery use to see what is pulling the power?

aliasneo07

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok, assumed from your first post that you didn't know how to do any of that. Backup only syncs when you tell it to, and should just be very brief. Can't say about Facebook, its a total waste of time IMO so I don't use it. It could be the problem. Not sure what you mean by "google". You mean Gmail? I could see where that, or Facebook could be constantly on if they are having trouble accessing your account, or your phone, or both. Blockbuster also tries to update itself, even if you've never touched it. Open it, go to the Market and do an update, then you can tell to not update from within the app.

Have you checked About Phone, Battery use to see what is pulling the power?

Before, Cell Standby was the biggest hog. That's why I was so concerned.

I just added the HTC "Sync All" widget to my home screen and hit it. When I did, the syncing icon that was constant went away after about 5 seconds and has not returned. Really, really weird. Right now the order of power consumption is Display, then Android System, then Cell Standby, which I guess is what it should be. It was before when "Cell Standby" was the greatest that I was concerned.

Weird that "Sync all" cured the constant sync problem. I'm so confused. lol.

I hope there's some truth into battery conditioning and my battery life getting slowly better.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Turn your display down to about 25%, should still be very readable. Also, do a search on "bump charging" and see if you can find those instructions. That made quite a bit of difference in mine. Also, as you said, you should see improvement over time.

Good luck

aliasneo07

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for the replies! One more question then I'll let this thread die.

I've read numerous posts where people talk about their syncing settings, but none really say what they keep them on, just that they can be changed.

Do most people disable background data and auto sync, and then just manually sync from time to time? Or disable one, and leave the other?

Also, I read that it may be necessary for me to do a hard reset to disable Backup Assistant. Would this be worthwhile?

Interested in how people keep their "Accounts & Sync settings."

Thanks again for the help!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If you are using Activesync, make sure your frequency setting is not on "push" (you have to scroll to the top listing to see it). That will cause 100 percent sync status, don't know why. Just set it at something like 30 minutes (that's what I do). You will still get your mail virtually instantly. The longest I've waited for incoming mail was 2 minutes. Usually get new mail after about 15 seconds. Not sure what happens at the 30 minute point. :D

-Frank