How to future proof your Thunderbolt...

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
How do you transfer your upgrade to another phone? Do you essentially swap contract terms?

We are on a family plan. You can swap easily with another family member on your plan online or by calling Verizon. You may have to have permission from the primary account holder but that's me so its real simple if I want to.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
i'm assuming the $230 one year contract must have been a corporate price then?

I get a discount through my employer on both the plan and any accessories, but the phone is not a "corporate" phone, I own it and am in sole control. Unlike the Blackberry.

Best of both worlds ;)

bipolarbear187

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only person that will only use the website to buy phones from Verizon? The website makes it easy to do all the things I've heard discussed in this thread and with the added bonus of not having to deal with the know-nothing sales people at the stores.

I bought my Thunderbolt with a 1 year contract on an upgrade transferred from another line on my account for $230. No hassles. Not to mention that when you buy in store you have to deal with their stupid rebates, but online you get the immediate price discount. I will occasionally go into the store to look at devices, but I will NEVER buy in store again.

(Also a little bitter because I had one of the last smartphones with no data plan (Palm Centro) and was told in store they de-activated data on the line only later to receive a huge bill about 4x my normal bill for a 5 line family plan. I trust the in-store reps as much as car sales people.)

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Not to mention that when you buy in store you have to deal with their stupid rebates, but online you get the immediate price discount. I will occasionally go into the store to look at devices, but I will NEVER buy in store again.

The stores now do instant rebates on the more expensive phones.

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
So today is day 14 and I love my TBolt so I'm keeping it for sure. But many of us are locked into this phone until 2013. So today I called Verizon and switched my 2 year contract to a 1 year contract for $70. That's all it costs. Now 2 weeks ago an extra 70 bucks was too much to add to the already large purchase price and crazy tax. But I love knowing that this time next year I can get a new phone if I want. Or I can keep it and transfer my new phone upgrade to my wife who will still be stuck with her update-fearing Samsung Fascinate.

Technology changes so fast and while there's a good chance I'll still love this Tbolt 2 years from now...I think an extra $70 is worth the feeling of not being "stuck" in anything.

Lovin' this phone and this forum...thanks!

I called customer service. They wouldn't do it for me.

elai1108

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only person that will only use the website to buy phones from Verizon? The website makes it easy to do all the things I've heard discussed in this thread and with the added bonus of not having to deal with the know-nothing sales people at the stores.

I bought my Thunderbolt with a 1 year contract on an upgrade transferred from another line on my account for $230. No hassles. Not to mention that when you buy in store you have to deal with their stupid rebates, but online you get the immediate price discount. I will occasionally go into the store to look at devices, but I will NEVER buy in store again.

(Also a little bitter because I had one of the last smartphones with no data plan (Palm Centro) and was told in store they de-activated data on the line only later to receive a huge bill about 4x my normal bill for a 5 line family plan. I trust the in-store reps as much as car sales people.)
I have upgraded online 3 times now and the process is pretty smooth. I actually would have done the upgrade in the store except they wanted to charge me $50 more in the store for a 1-year contract than online.

Totally agreed on sales people; they try to push accessories and stuff on me too!

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
To many things are coming out way too fast right now... I payed the extra $70 on the first day to get the 1 yr contract.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I called customer service. They wouldn't do it for me.

Strange. Was today day 15 for you? I just called VZW again to double check and they said yes, you can do this switch to one year thing within 14 days of you getting your phone and more importantly, signing a new contract. Your plan, data rate and any promotions that you have attached to your plan, stay with you. The only thing that changes is that a year (or maybe its even 10 months) from now you can get a new phone IF YOU WANT. For many, that 14th day was yesterday since the phone came out on the 17th.

Good luck!

mc21

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I get a discount through my employer on both the plan and any accessories, but the phone is not a "corporate" phone, I own it and am in sole control. Unlike the Blackberry.

Best of both worlds ;)

i know its not a corporate phone per say but it can be and thats what the guy at vzw said. i got a $50 corporate discount on the phone.

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Strange. Was today day 15 for you? I just called VZW again to double check and they said yes, you can do this switch to one year thing within 14 days of you getting your phone and more importantly, signing a new contract. Your plan, data rate and any promotions that you have attached to your plan, stay with you. The only thing that changes is that a year (or maybe its even 10 months) from now you can get a new phone IF YOU WANT. For many, that 14th day was yesterday since the phone came out on the 17th.

Good luck!

I'm sorry. I didn't give enough info. They would let me switch to a one year contract costing me $70 but wouldn't let me carry the NE2 $50 discount over with it. In effect it would have cost me $120 to do it. I told them to forget it then.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry. I didn't give enough info. They would let me switch to a one year contract costing me $70 but wouldn't let me carry the NE2 $50 discount over with it. In effect it would have cost me $120 to do it. I told them to forget it then.

If I were you I'd try again. You'll get someone different if you call again. The two reps I've spoken had no issue with the $50 discount so maybe you just got a stingy rep. Or maybe I got 2 lucky ones. I'm not sure that I would've done it for $120 either. Good luck!

Yourself

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

Same issue...except I received $100 with my NE2 plus the $70 for 1 year change...total $170. I respectfully declined.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I considered calling to change but realized a mistake was made and can still upgrade in July! I lost my 50 dollar credit but it still gives me an upgrade date of july sixth!. my upgrade date was july sixth but they moved it all the way up for me 2 march 17th. it took special manager approval so I am guessing that is why maybe it didn't go in the system as a 2 year upgrade. ??

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I considered calling to change but realized a mistake was made and can still upgrade in July! I lost my 50 dollar credit but it still gives me an upgrade date of july sixth!. my upgrade date was july sixth but they moved it all the way up for me 2 march 17th. it took special manager approval so I am guessing that is why maybe it didn't go in the system as a 2 year upgrade. ??

I would keep an eye out for an update though as the system may not recognize it just yet. However, I'd be willing to bet that the systems Verizon uses shows that you were granted an upgrade.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yea. At this point, I'd always urge people to get a 1yr contract. $70 isn't so bad compared to paying full retail. Technology moves too fast and if you want to stay on top of it, a 1yr is ideal. Even if you make the mistake on getting a 2 year, at least you can sell the Thunderbolt. By the looks of it, it should have some good resale value.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea. At this point, I'd always urge people to get a 1yr contract. $70 isn't so bad compared to paying full retail. Technology moves too fast and if you want to stay on top of it, a 1yr is ideal. Even if you make the mistake on getting a 2 year, at least you can sell the Thunderbolt. By the looks of it, it should have some good resale value.
Today, VZW will give you $240 on a trade-in.

https://www.trade-in.vzw.com/AppraisalPage.aspx

-Frank

Spoon

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You can change the term of the contract within 14 day of the first phone purchase. It's easier for the rep to change the contract date and add a $70 charge to your account than going through the process of processing a return and then reselling you the new device, which they will eat the cost of the current device, at the 1 year contract.

If you do an ANNUAL upgrade, then you can only do 2 yr contract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC