What I don't understand about Bloatware

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I understand that companies are going to always put bloatware on a phone or computer but what I don't get is why they don't make it removable on a phone like it is on a computer.

tender

Jan 13, 2010
terpconnect.umd.edu
I understand that companies are going to always put bloatware on a phone or computer but what I don't get is why they don't make it removable on a phone like it is on a computer.

If you want a good laugh, read the comments for the Blockbuster app in the Android Market. It gets one star, and most of the comments are from Verizon users saying that the app does not work, uses up the battery and cant be removed.

Thanks Verizon

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Are they not both streaming movie services?

Is that it? Politics?
Yes, they are both streaming movie service competitors. And VZW may not want to be in bed with both at the same time :) Or, VZW agreed to one's stipulations but not the other. Who knows?

Of course it's politics. If these phones didn't have any bloatware on them you'd be paying another $50 for the phone.

-Frank

Last edited:

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

Bloatware is simply a type of advertising. It is no different then the free samples you get in the mail or in bags with your Sunday paper. The carrier knows the average life if a particular device and charges a fee to include it as a permanent part of the operating system. Almost all if the non system Bloatware requires you to subscribe or buy it if you want to use it for the long term. Pretty effective to place the "samples" on hundreds of thousands of devices. If the return on investment was not good companies like Blockbuster wouldn't do it. Verizon or whatever carrier could not subsidize device to the extent they do without the Bloatware revenue. Think about it this way. Would you pay an addition hundred dollars for a phone if it was Bloatware free?

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If it ran as smoothly as the debloated and super clean roms we have now, yes I would pay an extra 100 bills. Spread across a 24 month contract to have a clean phone, 100 bills is worth it.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk.

Reactions: awtenterprise

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Bloatware is simply a type of advertising. It is no different then the free samples you get in the mail or in bags with your Sunday paper. The carrier knows the average life if a particular device and charges a fee to include it as a permanent part of the operating system. Almost all if the non system Bloatware requires you to subscribe or buy it if you want to use it for the long term. Pretty effective to place the "samples" on hundreds of thousands of devices. If the return on investment was not good companies like Blockbuster wouldn't do it. Verizon or whatever carrier could not subsidize device to the extent they do without the Bloatware revenue. Think about it this way. Would you pay an addition hundred dollars for a phone if it was Bloatware free?

You missed my entire point dude. I get the fact that bloatware is always going to be there. What I don't get is why I'm able to remove all the bloat from a new PC but not a new phone.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Are they not both streaming movie services?

No. That's not at all what the issue is.

Netflix has not been released on ANY devices. It is not about Verizon choosing NOT to include it because it wasn't even an option.

Netflix is also a wholly different type of service than blockbuster.

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
What I want to know is why blockbuster won't just go out of business already. Netflix has incredible streaming services that work bug free on a multitude of platforms. Blockbuster can't adapt their way out of a paper bag let alone to the dynamic and rapidly changing technological market.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
What I want to know is why blockbuster won't just go out of business already. Netflix has incredible streaming services that work bug free on a multitude of platforms. Blockbuster can't adapt their way out of a paper bag let alone to the dynamic and rapidly changing technological market.

That would be the worst thing that could happen. Competition keeps prices down.

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Except blockbuster isn't any real competition for anything.

Exactly. Netflix has always been fairly priced from the get go offering good customer support, speedy service, and reliable services. Those facts have driven them straight to the top of a media powerhouse mountain and they stay up there because they don't get too greedy. In turn they have happy customers and a metric tons of cash. If blockbuster took a page from their book they wouldn't desperately be putting poorly written crapware on your brand new device.

Last edited:

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
You can watch 8 or less movies with blockbuster a month. I can watch as much snl, office space, futurama, etc on top of movies as much as I want for 8 bucks a month.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
You missed my entire point dude. I get the fact that bloatware is always going to be there. What I don't get is why I'm able to remove all the bloat from a new PC but not a new phone.

Did not miss your point, dude. Read carefully. PC's are not subsidized, do not turn over near as quickly as cell phones and are delivered to the end users without restrictive contracts or obligation. Most PC Bloatware are either demo programs or crippled versions. It is a far easier task for even novice users to remove PC programs so it is not nearly as lucrative a marketing strategy for the advertiser or manufacturer. The largest purchasers of PC'S is still corporations and the government. IT buyers would not put up with Bloatware on PCs for lots if reasons. They have real power over suppliers. If IBM told their cellular carrier to get rid if the Bloatware they might but at a price mist would not be willing to pay for the minor annoyance to them.

The bottom line is Bloatware is here to stay because the vast majority of smartphone buyers are not on this or any other forum and simply are not as passionate nor do they care as long as they can make a call, send and receive texts and access the internet, Facebook and Twitter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy