Power Draining Widgets

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Does the YouTube widget use a lot of battery?

Which widgets are the most power hungry? Weather at three hours etc?

I love widgets but I don't want to significantly drain my battery from using them.

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Something I discovered for myself this weekend. all of these clocks on the Home screen, clock widgets and they do weather.. I was fooling around and downloaded weatherbug/elite and configured it to get the temp and put the temp on the task bar. I then went into the settings of the widget clock and took off it getting the temp for the clock, and my mA went from a good 60-80 and dropped me back down to 30-40 range. This has extended my battery use.

too me doesn't make real sense, but it made a differance. I still get weather updates, and it actually gives me notificatiosn for server weather warnings etc, that i can pull down task bar and see.

Reactions: Chrisy

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi Chrisy,

I don't think youtube would use much battery. As long as it doesn't update too often it should be fine. A lot of Widgets is more if a memory issue (slowing the phone down) than a battery issue. Don't get me wrong, if you have 14 widgets all updating every 5 minutes, yes it will kill your battery but I wouldn't generally worry about it.

Slap your favorite widgets on ur phone when u know ur gonna be home or around a charger and see if they have any effect.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I agree with theGman. I put the widgets on that i like, then deal with battery issues as I can. I always use the phone for what i want and work from there. If you go based on batery use, then you lose what the phone can do. Of course you weigh our options of battery life vs use. For me I have so many chargers around, usually not an issue. Work, car, 4 differnet places at home. Plus a charger based off batteries.

Seems the bigest battery eater for widgets is friendstream, then facebook.. IMO..

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Friendstream was killing my battery also thinking I exited apps when I really didn't, I would hit the home key thinking that was exiting instead of either using exit if the app had one or using the back key. Hope this helps :)

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I bet Friend Stream, Twitter and Facebook updates take up quite a bit of battery. I use none.

Kayak was draining my battery because I didn't exit out of it.

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I made it so facebook and weather update only when i open it, a little inconvenient but I'm getting much better battery life so its worth it for me...also, Im in the Philadelphia suburbs so I set my weather location to that so its not constantly updating towns when I'm in the car.

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I dont run any updating widgets and I get great battery life. Yesterday I had 16 hours off charge with 50% battery life left before I tossed it on the charger last night. And thats with moderate use. Weather, facebook and youtube can kill your battery. Also I turn off all syncs with email. I do them manually as I go to check my mail.

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I dont run any updating widgets and I get great battery life. Yesterday I had 16 hours off charge with 50% battery life left before I tossed it on the charger last night. And thats with moderate use. Weather, facebook and youtube can kill your battery. Also I turn off all syncs with email. I do them manually as I go to check my mail.

thats another thing I do, manually check my email...although it was a little hard to do coming from a blackberry, I got used to it and realized my emails weren't that important, as I can easily check it whenever I feel like it...I'm getting around 12 hours of moderate to sometimes heavy useage before I have to charge.

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought push email was easy on the battery? I use gmail and I think it's pushed.

I think its important if you allow your email to sync that you set it for every hour or even more. Lower than an hour will start to affect your battery. Especially if you are in a poor signal area. Its bad enough that in poor signal areas your phone is working overtime to get a signal. Add it trying to pull email or any kind of sync ontop of that is a death sentance for your battery. Also making sure you are on wifi whenever its available. At home I am always on wifi even though my 4g signal rocks in my house. Its the little things that can make a huge differance.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Does the YouTube widget use a lot of battery?

Which widgets are the most power hungry? Weather at three hours etc?

I love widgets but I don't want to significantly drain my battery from using them.
Widgets are the least of worries to battery drainage. I have Widgets on every one of my twelve panels, and my battery doesn't drain any faster than without.

Now, applications that constantly run in the background - (depending on which one) might require a little more battery consumption. significantly noticeable ?> NOT