What are the benefits of "Rooting" if they are any?

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I've gone rooted and non-rooted, and I'll stick with non-rooted. I never saw a big leap in battery life unless I disabled the functionality of the phone. I see no reason whatsoever to delete Sense UI and download Beautiful Widgets which look pretty amateurish (admit it) compared to Sense. It's no fun to root and leave stock, and half of the ROM's out there kill or disable one thing or another that worked fine under the factory ROM. If you like messing with the phone, go for it. If your phone is absolutely CRITICAL to you, don't.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I've gone rooted and non-rooted, and I'll stick with non-rooted. I never saw a big leap in battery life unless I disabled the functionality of the phone. I see no reason whatsoever to delete Sense UI and download Beautiful Widgets which look pretty amateurish (admit it) compared to Sense. It's no fun to root and leave stock, and half of the ROM's out there kill or disable one thing or another that worked fine under the factory ROM. If you like messing with the phone, go for it. If your phone is absolutely CRITICAL to you, don't.

I find some of the Beautiful Widgets to be very well done. Sure some look like crap but I would say some of combinations look a great deal better and have far more character than the stock Sense Widgets. However that has nothing at all to do with rooting. Beautiful Widgets are just another set of Widgets that can be used rooted or not. The BAMF ROM Im running now doesn't even delete Sense anyway, so again I dont quite see your point there.

That being said I can see people not wanting to root for fear of disabling their phone in some way. For me however the speed of the OC and the battery savings of on demand CPU throttling alone make it worth it. Also getting rid of the Apps Verizon force feeds you is a nice byproduct of the whole thing. Some dont affect anything at all of course but I like to have control of what apps exist on my phone.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I find some of the Beautiful Widgets to be very well done. Sure some look like crap but I would say some of combinations look a great deal better and have far more character than the stock Sense Widgets. However that has nothing at all to do with rooting. Beautiful Widgets are just another set of Widgets that can be used rooted or not. The BAMF ROM Im running now doesn't even delete Sense anyway, so again I dont quite see your point there.

That being said I can see people not wanting to root for fear of disabling their phone in some way. For me however the speed of the OC and the battery savings of on demand CPU throttling alone make it worth it. Also getting rid of the Apps Verizon force feeds you is a nice byproduct of the whole thing. Some dont affect anything at all of course but I like to have control of what apps exist on my phone.

I'm not here to argue with you. If you want to root, by all means root. I said "It's no fun to root and leave stock, (So in that case, Sense is usually the first thing stripped) and half of the ROM's out there kill or disable one thing or another that worked fine under the factory ROM" If you get rid of Sense UI, then you're most definitely going to need Beautiful Widgets (and they sure aren't "beautiful" compared to Sense IMO). Yes, getting root on your phone can help you get rid of bloatware, but it's also the easiest way to brick your phone...Just one wrong command... Your phone works fine for you, and I'm happy for you...Really. However, NONE of the ROM's out there work the same way for every user, even with the same phone, and until someone figures that part out, I'll never do it again. Cyanogen7 is particularly quirky for some reason or other and the complaints are liberally interspersed throughout dozens of threads on this board alone that I've read. And again, you're right, you don't have to get rid of Sense to use Beautiful Widgets, but again, why? Their top widget looks just like the Sense one with the weather and time...and numerals that appear to be written by a 3 year old.

To each their own though...You have your opinion, and I have mine. Enjoy.

Whetzel

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The biggest reason why I rooted was to get rid of the bloatware.

Another big advantage is that, usually, you'll find an update to a newer version of the OS a little (or some times a lot) sooner than the carrier will push it out.

There are some buggy ROM's out there, but if you read through the comments and chose a good one before installing one, there usually isn't a huge issue. Plus, you can make a backup of various different ROM's, once you've installed them, and swap them fairly quickly.

That's basically why I root my phones.

Having said that, it's not for everyone.

Last edited:

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Both my Original Droid and my Droid X got really buggy after rooting them. They started out fine, but over time got weird.

I'm not going to be rooting my Thunderbolt.