1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does Android support personal email distribution lists (DLs)

Does Android support personal email distribution lists?

I have a personal email DL in my Outlook 2007 client and using the Exchange Sync to pull my contacts into the phone. But, it appears personal DL's are not supported by the Android OS (by default)

I have read that groups is the way to go. Unfortunately, this won't work because the existing DL consists of individual email addresses. Each email address not set up as individual contacts.

My guess is that I will have to purchase an app to pull the email DL into the phone contact list.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Palm PDAs > Treo > Storm > Thunderbolt
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

It's not supported... you would have to add each one as a contact and then send as a group as you mentioned.

Setting up a group:
    1. Go to the People app.
    2. Click at the bottom of the screen.. what looks like 2 rolodex cards (this is the group category)
    3. Click add group at the top. Type the name for the group and add contacts.
    4. Now the group is set up so whenever you go to people and the groups, there is a "sharing arrow". When you click on that you can now send texts or email to those in the group.

As for apps to pull the email DL to the contacts... I'm not sure about that.
    You can however export the distribution list to a text file to make things easier for adding them to your contacts.
    1) Click on contacts
    2) double click on the distribution list to "edit/view" it.
    3) Go to File -> Save As
    4) Save it as a .txt file
    Then open that .txt file in Excel, (default import text file) and copy and paste to your contacts.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hey Cyber Warrior, thanks for the response.

I appreciate your time and information!
    Palm PDAs > Treo > Storm > Thunderbolt

That is how you use groups.

This is so much easier to do in gmail.com from your computer.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

Default Re: Does Android support personal email distribution lists (DLs)

Hi Cyber Warrior. It appears the People app has changed. I can't see a sharing arrow. I'm on a Nexxus 1. Could that be it?
    I've crawled the web to figure out how to send an email to a group createdin People and can't figure it out. I can't imagine People having the ability to create groups and then have no functions for groups created. It doesn't make sense but I can't figure it put. I'm on a Microsoft exchange acct using the Android email app. I'd think the Email and People apps would cooperate?
    Would LOVE some help. Very frustrated.
    Any ideas?

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Default Re: Does Android support personal email distribution lists (DLs)

it worked on my droid razr but not on the galaxy