Some days are better then others (battery)

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
first let me say I am using the extended 2750 battery

So I have not had any major complaints with the battery, I am usually taking my phone off the charger around 7-8am and when I put it back on the charger at 12-3 am my phone usually has 40-60% left on it.

Every once and a while I have a bad battery day where it seems to drain rather quickly, like today, I had a feeling it was going to be one of those days when I happened to notice my phone dropped 3% in 20 mins without using the phone.

A couple times today the phone felt very warm like I was using it for a while but I clearly was not! I rebooted the phone and am now sitting at 56% left and will keep an eye on it for the rest of the day.

The only thing that was different on my phone was the Amazon app store updated, last night I think.

Also I never bump charge my phone by shutting it off and turning it on, I will unplug it from the charger for 30 seconds and plug it back in until it goes green again and that sometimes takes 15+ mins

is there a good way to see what is running on my phone?

Last edited:

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think everybody is spending way too much time worrying about battery usage. 3% in 20 minutes is nothing more than a setting display.

However, to see usage:
Menu\Settings\Applications\Running and also Running Services. The battery minder will also show what is using power and how much.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing too. And I've documented it with current widget. Normally it idles around 38mA with spikes up to 90mA. When it's having a mystery battery drain the current goes up another 150-200mA and stays there until reboot. Very odd. I've even noticed this with different ROMs.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I am not spending much time but I do like to check once and a while, it is definatly not a setting display when I can go 3 hours with min usage and use less then that, something is using that and it is not me

how are you checking the mA being used?

nope it is the one from verizon, I dont buy after market batteries, I see to many false claims on them claiming to be higher mAh then they really are

Also since writing the first post it has been 2 hr 45 mins, I have sent several emails, some texts and a short phone call (under a min) and have used 3% to bring me down to 53%. So there is something going on that is draining my battery. This has happened in the past cause the phone was hot and I am pretty sure I did a reboot to stop it

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
It was clearly a typo for 2750. Also I'm using the extended battery as well and yesterday the strangest thing happened: the CPU reported a 100% load with nothing running for ten minutes but the battery kept saying it was at 56%. I rebooted and it was at 25%! That's the lowest this battery has ever been. It was also running at 40C+ most of the day. Rather unusual for this thing I must say.

-stock HTC Thunderbolt tapatalk

Dr.G

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I got this from htc regarding battery life. check it out.

Thank you for contacting HTC Gary.

While we can't cover every possibility with regards to power consumption, we can offer you some basic information to prolong the life of your battery.

The first thing that uses a lot of battery is data networks and GPS. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Mobile Networks all use battery life when left "on" even if you are not using them. Place a "widget" on one of your home screens so that you may turn them on and off as needed.

Mail will use more battery if you have accounts set to check mail often. These settings can be changed in the mail app you are using. The same applies to the calendar sync. If you have more than one email account, you need to adjust these settings for each one in the mail app under menu> more> settings> send and receive. You can set peak and off-peak times to check at different intervals. If you do not need to be notified every time you receive mail, set it to manual.

Some third party applications may or may not use more battery depending on whether they have access to GPS or data networks to check for updates, run backups, etc, even when you are not using the app.

Many games will drain battery life depending on the intensity of the graphics, the audio, and the "rumble" or vibration settings for the game.

The vibration mode to alert you for missed calls, emails and text messages uses significantly more battery than a sound.

A darker wallpaper uses more battery life than a lighter colored wallpaper due to the way the software creates the true black color on the screen.

We recommend that you do not use an app killer on your device since the Android software already runs it's own application management in the background to ensure optimum performance of your phone. An app killer may use more battery life than it saves.

An app that we have had some good anecdotal feedback for is called "power save mode toggle" and is a simple app for optimizing battery life. We have not had any reports for it with regards to the Thunderbolt yet, but with the HTC Evo it seemed to add to the battery life by 5-10%

It is also recommended that you charge your device with the power off and remove it from the charger when the light is green indicating a full charge, whenever possible.

Setting the screen brightness to auto is also suggested.

Locking your screen manually as opposed to waiting for it to timeout is suggested.

Lastly, you can enter an app on your device which shows you which apps are consuming the most battery. This can be helpful in finding out what is draining your power the most. The Battery Information, Battery History, and Usage Statistics areas of this menu are relatively benign as they contain reports, but be careful if you go into any other options in here, specifically Phone Information and Wi-Fi Information. Unless directed by us to go into these areas, for the safety of your device, restrict your activities to the areas marked Battery Information, Battery History, and Usage Statistics.

The advanced device information and battery usage menu can be accessed by going to the Dialer and dialing *#*#4636#*#*
After dialing this, the menu will display. Pressing CALL is not required.

Phone Information & Wi-Fi Information :
Do not enter these areas. If you don't know what the setting does, do not touch it.

Battery Information : Basic battery statistics
Battery History : Has a variety of options including CPU usage, Network usage, GPS usage, Sensor usage, Partial wake usage, and Other usage. You can then set the next menu to a timeframe. Choose from Since last unplugged, Total since boot, and Total All time.
Usage Statistics : In here this shows the top ten apps by usage time, launch count, or application name.

The most useful area to you will likely be Battery History

Hope this information helps you Gary. Look forward to speaking to you tomorrow regarding the other issues we discussed.

Reactions: anon(238680)

HiPower

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
"A darker wallpaper uses more battery life than a lighter colored wallpaper due to the way the software creates the true black color on the screen." Interesting, I always thought it was the opposite. Tomorrows new test:)

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
"A darker wallpaper uses more battery life than a lighter colored wallpaper due to the way the software creates the true black color on the screen." Interesting, I always thought it was the opposite. Tomorrows new test:)

This is true for AMOLED, the Thunderbolt is not running a AMOLED screen, so no worries on that. Run a all white screen if you want.