Thunderbolt OEM replacement parts?

JoshCBFL

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone. I accidentally got my Thunderbolt wet and now the LCD screen has what appears to be defects (they look like off-colored scuffs) in it now. I'm looking to find a replacement for the LCD but I can't find anything via Google. Does anyone have any idea where I could get one?

Thanks!

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Put in a bag of dry rice for a couple days even though it sounds like you powered it up after you got it wet,you might get lucky and it could come out of it. Chances of finding a LCD this early into launch will be slim to none.

Reactions: JoshCBFL

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
You might want to try and sweet talk a CSR for a replacement and be honest.

My guess is with this 3 week old flagship phone, it'll be another month or so before OEM parts start to arrive.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Usually the off colors are the result of either water that is still in between the digitizer and LCD or residue on the LCD screen itself left behind when the water dried. The other thing could be that the LCD driver is blown. Some are mounted directly to a circuit that is part of the LCD, others are part of the main board on the phone or on a "daughter board". Chances are that if you by a new LCD and the driver chip is blown, you're going to get the same result. Your best bet is to file an insurance claim on the phone if you have one and have it replaced.

The only reason you would want to buy a replacement LCD is if yours cracked, when it's wet a number of factors come into play like the LCD itself may not be the culprit but rather a circuit is to blame.

JoshCBFL

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I placed the phone in rice for a couple days and it was after when these marks showed up. It's been about 2 weeks now. I'll try the sweet talk route because even though I am paying for insurance, Asurion says I don't have my phone insured.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked your bill to see that your still paying for the insurance? I see a charge on my bill for it every month even though right now the Asurion site says they can locate anything for me.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone. I accidentally got my Thunderbolt wet and now the LCD screen has what appears to be defects (they look like off-colored scuffs) in it now. I'm looking to find a replacement for the LCD but I can't find anything via Google. Does anyone have any idea where I could get one?

Thanks!

You have water under the screen it just might dry out and be fine. Pull the battery leave the battery door off and in you are in a warmer climate right now leave it in your car. You can also use a hair dryer on it.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I placed the phone in rice for a couple days and it was after when these marks showed up. It's been about 2 weeks now. I'll try the sweet talk route because even though I am paying for insurance, Asurion says I don't have my phone insured.
How long ago did you purchase the insurance? I noticed that it took about 10-days/2-weeks after my insurance purchase from VZW before I was in the Asurion database. You can look yourself up on line if you are listed now at: http://www.phoneclaim.com/verizon-lookup. You'll just need to supply your phone number and zip code.

-Frank

RepairLaunch

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Nobody can get the LCD right now. We will do you water damage repair for free because we really want to open this puppy up. You will just have to overnight it so we can get it by Monday. Give me a call if you have questions. I'd PM ya, but I just joined.

JoshCBFL

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the input!

It turns out that when I purchased the Thunderbolt, they didn't switch my insurance over to the phone even though I told them that I wanted to keep all of the features the same on my plan. I spoke to a very nice CSR at Verizon who transferred me to an even nicer tech support agent and they are sending me a new phone for what it would cost to pay the deductible for Asurion.

I'm sorry RepairLaunch. I wish I would have read your post earlier.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the input!

It turns out that when I purchased the Thunderbolt, they didn't switch my insurance over to the phone even though I told them that I wanted to keep all of the features the same on my plan. I spoke to a very nice CSR at Verizon who transferred me to an even nicer tech support agent and they are sending me a new phone for what it would cost to pay the deductible for Asurion.

I'm sorry RepairLaunch. I wish I would have read your post earlier.
Good for you. I'm really glad this story had a happy ending.

-Frank