Shut down apps, they open on their own

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Newb here so not sure why. I use various methods to shut down apps, such as amazon app store, face book, etc... I will not use phone for anything for half hour or so. I will check open apps, and they are open again along with other apps.

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The short answer: this is just how Android works.

The OS is pretty good at figuring out what to run and when to run it. By manually closing these processes (or worse - using a task killer) you're basically creating a vicious, battery-draining cycle.

If an app has an exit button, use that. If not, continue to tap the "back" arrow to get out of it rather than just tapping "home".

The only time I would worry about an app that's running in the background would be if it shows up high in the battery use list (settings -> about phone -> battery -> battery use) when you know you haven't been using it.

Reactions: ggrr8t

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
thanks for such a quick reply I have task killer I don't use it all of the time what is the drawbacks to using task killer is it a battery drain?

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Correct - as of 2.2 (Froyo) it's recommended that task killers NOT be used. Like I mentioned, the OS will close apps as needed and leave them available (but not necessarily drawing any power) until then. Closing them out using a task killer or even through the "manage applications" page causes the system to use MORE power because they'll be restarted as the OS sees fit.

If a specific app is sucking battery it would be worth looking into. Again, check that battery use list, or maybe check how often the app is syncing (things like Facebook especially). Otherwise I'd suggest you let Android do its thing as it will learn your usage behavior and become quite efficient on its own.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
thanks for such a quick reply I have task killer I don't use it all of the time what is the drawbacks to using task killer is it a battery drain?

1. Your task killer is running in the background

2. Its trying to kill something that shouldn't be killed (hence the reason why your app keeps coming back), causing it to use more power.

Reactions: ggrr8t

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
OK I removed TK. Just curious why apps like amazon app market and face book would keep opening when I am not using them.
Again thanks for your help.

MojaveHigh

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know why they keep opening too. I realize they use no battery just sitting there, but for me it's a matter or being organized. Apps shouldn't be running and shouldn't open themselves for no reason.

Well designed apps have settings which let you set whether they can run in the background. You'd think Amazon and others would have this setting.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Those apps keep opening back up because they are bloatware that verizon decided to put on there. Root your phone and disable them or lost a debloated rom

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Those apps keep opening back up because they are bloatware that verizon decided to put on there. Root your phone and disable them or lost a debloated rom

Not all of them. And be mindful of others. Not everyone wants to root and root isn't the answer to everything.

Sent From My Xoom or Thunderbolt, pick one

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney