Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Carrier
    Do I Need one??

Default HTC Sense Tips & Tricks

I recently wrote an article for my site detailing some of tips & tricks for Sense that many people have never come across. There was one article written by a fellow Android blog on the subject, every other site has simply reposted this content over and over. Below is a refresh with some additions. Please add any that I may have missed.

The extremely popular Sense interface is considered by many to be the best manufacturer applied skin on Android today. It’s elegant widgets and intuitive design give HTC handsets the most polished Android experience available. Due to It’s user friendly nature, a lot of Sense UI’s features are overlooked since It’s out of the box setup is so great. Below we will cover some of these features, settings and tweaks you may not know exist. Let’s get started.

Tapping the notification bar will display the date in the upper left hand corner of your screen.

Turning your device upside down will silence an incoming call.

When typing, double tap the space key to end your sentence with a period. The keyboard will automatically insert a space after the period and capitalize the next letter typed.

Holding down the menu key will bring up your keyboard.

Pinch inwards on a zoomed out webpage to quickly jump to a new window.

While in the browser, tap and hold on any word, phrase or term to pull up the Quick Lookup menu which will allow you to instantly search for more info on a particular topic.

Everyone knows about HTC’s Leap feature where pinching any one of your home screens will give you an over view of all seven and allow you to quickly jump between screens. One thing you may not have known however, if you tap and hold on one of the home screens while in Leap view, you can rearrange screens to your liking.

Applications such as messages, contacts, gallery, etc have tabs at the bottom of the display for things like call history and groups in the people app. These can be re-positioned or removed altogether by long pressing any tab in the tray.

Most of HTC’s widgets are pre-installed on your device, there are a few more available for download though. On your home screen, tap and hold an empty space to bring up the personalize menu. Select widgets> get more HTC widgets.

In the music app you notice the same album cover being displayed for each song on that album. To tidy things up a bit, scroll over to the CD icon in the bottom tray and select play all. Cover Flow will now display each album instead of each song.

When typing, the predictive text bar can be moved out of the way. Tap and hold on one of the words being displayed and relocate to the desired position.

By default, the app drawer is set to grid view. To switch to list view hit menu> list view.

In the People app, tap and hold a contacts picture to pull up a menu with a few options to quickly contact that person.

To save an image you’ve been sent via MMS, tap and hold on the message which contains the image.

Hopefully these tips will improve your Sense experience.

Very nice, Thank you!

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Sweet! Appreciate it!

-Frank

Very nice!! Great tips for a new Andriod user!

Quote Originally Posted by MBeattie View Post
    When typing, double tap the space key to end your sentence with a period. The keyboard will automatically insert a space after the period and capitalize the next letter typed.
    most excellent! Thanks for that.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

When typing, the predictive text bar can be moved out of the way. Tap and hold on one of the words being displayed and relocate to the desired position.

Great tip! Is there a way to make the bar stay there, or do you have to move it everytime? Thanks!

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM7 RC1.2

Applications such as messages, contacts, gallery, etc have tabs at the bottom of the display for things like call history and groups in the people app. These can be re-positioned or removed altogether by long pressing any tab in the tray.
    Nice! The arrangement of some of these has annoyed me.
    Banned

finally figured out the period, that was driving me crazy. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MBeattie View Post
    Most of HTC’s widgets are pre-installed on your device, there are a few more available for download though. On your home screen, tap and hold an empty space to bring up the personalize menu. Select widgets> get more HTC widgets.
    THIS! I had no idea. Thank you.

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Yes, great tips for us newbs.

>> When typing, the predictive text bar can be moved out of the way.

It can but it won't remember its position for new messages which is a PITA.

Carrier
    Das BAMF Remix v1.6.3

I'm an Android newbie. Some of this I'd already figured out, but some of it I may have never tripped over. Thanks!
    Nexus Lover

Global Posts
    1,268 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP JB Build 4

great tips, some of these I didn't even know! thank you!
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,807 Global Posts

Testing reposition of the auto text bar. Cool, it works! Thanks for those tips! The predictive text bar covered what I was typing.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,807 Global Posts

One that I found by accident is quickly double tapping on a page in the browser zooms it.

I was zooming using the pinch thing for the first two weeks.
    Ter1990 likes this.

If you hold the home button in a program your recent opened apps show up, sort of task manager/swither style

If you hold down the search button it brings up the microphone to search so you don't have to type it in, just speak it.

If u hold down the back button in a browser it brings up your browser history.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,807 Global Posts

Can this be stuck? And maybe add suggestions and number them or some order.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,807 Global Posts

Bump for more tips please! These are great.