Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    stock

Angry 3G data completely FUBAR

My ThunderBolt has worked great for close to 3 weeks, even battery life was fantastic.
    I usually run wi-fi at both home and work. Today I had to run some errands so I turned on mobile network and turned off wi-fi since I'd be in my car for awhile. I stopped and checked Facebook while parked and couldn't get it synced. Tried the browser, no internet. So I restarted the phone and tried again. Still no data over 3G. Got back home, switched back to wi-fi and data came through fine.
    Switched back to 3G again, no data.
    So I called Verizon, and long story short, after trying everything else, was prompted to do the dreaded factory reset. STILL NO 3G DATA!!!
    Had to set up my wi-fi again so I could set up the email accounts on the phone, etc. We tried everything, and nothing would get 3G data working.
    So the tech assigned me a trouble ticket number and I'll hopefully get a call in the next day or two.
    I'm wondering if this sounds more like a Verizon issue or a Thunderbolt issue?
    The Verizon support guy thought it was NOT a Thunderbolt issue.
    Anyone else run into a complete stoppage of 3G data?
    BTW, I'm not in a 4G area. I also don't think it's the eHPRD thing either, and the support guy had never heard of it.
    Thanks for any input!

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

You said you tried "everything". What did you do other than a factory reset? Did you dial *#*#4636#*#* > CDMA auto (PRL)?

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Quote Originally Posted by Xharakov View Post
    I also don't think it's the eHPRD thing either, and the support guy had never heard of it.
    Thanks for any input!
    So do the switch and MAKE SURE before doing anything else. Go back to Rev.a and see what happens.

And as far as him never hearing of it.... No one from verizon even knew there was a way to stay in 3g with the #*#*4636*#*# thing. So that doesn't hold much water. They are clueless. I am 100% sure I know more than they do lol.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I run into problems like this too. Rebooting the phone has always fixed the issue.

I had this problem occur not long ago. I went to run some apps that required data and they wouldn't load. I then opened the Internet browser and it could not be connected to the internet. I had 3G but nothing was happening. I then connected to a wifi network and everything worked smoothly. Played around on wifi for a minute or so and retried that apps that wasn't working before and they loaded fine. Took wifi off and tried again with 3G and it worked. Hopefully this isn't the start of a problem that us Thunderbolt users will start to see happening.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    You said you tried "everything". What did you do other than a factory reset? Did you dial *#*#4636#*#* > CDMA auto (PRL)?

-Frank
    I meant that before the factory reset, the tech had been trying different things on his end to get 3G back.
    I'm going to charge the phone up a bit since it's almost dead and then try the #*#*4636*#*# thing. I've got nothing to lose.
    Thanks much for all the replies...

Have you tried the fix described in this thread too? This disables the eHPRD:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...ead-first.html

Good test to make sure it is not related to a eHPRD outage in your area, although the factory reset really should have fixed the problem if it were the eHPRD problem.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by liquidice View Post

Good test to make sure it is not related to a eHPRD outage in your area, although the factory reset really should have fixed the problem if it were the eHPRD problem.
    Yes thanks, I have the LTE ON/OFF app which does the same thing, and it did not resolve the problem.

Yes thanks, I have the LTE ON/OFF app which does the same thing, and it did not resolve the problem.
    No, the eHPRD fix is different than the LTE ON/OFF fix. Here is what the thread I linked to says:

As I am sure many of you have noticed 3G data is down on your Thunderbolts. As I have discovered from some talks with Verizon techs the reason for this is that Verizon's eHPRD 3G network is down right now. This is the specialized 3G network used only on the Thunderbolt and supports voice and data at the same time and faster 3G/4G switching. Until this is fixed you can manually fix this by dialing ##778# and hitting send in your dialer. The password is 000000. This will take you to your programming screen. Go to modem settings and then Rev A, change it to enabled and then hit the menu button on your phone and commit the changes. It will tell you to reboot and the problem will be fixed as you will now use the standard Rev A 3G networked used on all other Verizon 3G devices and of course if you have 4G it will use that if its available.
    The LTE ON/OFF app you're talking about would be the equivalent of dialing #*#*4636*#*#
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    stock

No, the eHPRD fix is different than the LTE ON/OFF fix. Here is what the thread I linked to says:

The LTE ON/OFF app you're talking about would be the equivalent of dialing #*#*4636*#*#
    Thanks, I was a little hazy on that and confused about the difference. I'm gonna give it a little more time on the charger, and then try that eHPRD fix.

This is what u need to be doing to see if ur having a problem with the thunderbolt specific 3g which has been known to go bonkers for some people in some locations. That's why I said try the rev.a instead of the eHPRD. Good luck

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    stock

Just got the phone off the charger, turned off wi-fi, turned on mobile data, and data is coming through fine now. Didn't need to do the eHPRD fix. I'm happy and all, but... WTF?
    Lesson learned. Don't call Verizon and let them assure you that you need a factory reset and that it will fix everything. But then again... maybe it did, a few hours later.
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions here.
    Now excuse me while I try to put all my stuff back together the way it was for the past 3 weeks...

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Just got the phone off the charger, turned off wi-fi, turned on mobile data, and data is coming through fine now. Didn't need to do the eHPRD fix. I'm happy and all, but... WTF?
    Lesson learned. Don't call Verizon and let them assure you that you need a factory reset and that it will fix everything. But then again... maybe it did, a few hours later.
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions here.
    Now excuse me while I try to put all my stuff back together the way it was for the past 3 weeks...
    Congratulations! A fix and a lesson, all in the same day!

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,560 Global Posts

I wish we could take screen shots so that we can set the device back up the way it was.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisy View Post
    I wish we could take screen shots so that we can set the device back up the way it was.
    That would have helped
    Phone is pretty much back in shape, but I did lose an app somehow in the reset.
    Also, I had set my LTE On/Off widget to "CDMA (auto)PRL" before I put it on the charger. When I unplugged it, I had mobile data back.
    Now I'm a little leery of changing it back to "CDMA + LTE" again...