1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    ROM
    Skyraider 1.3

Default Why Not Droid Branded

I have been wondering if anyone knows why the TB was not Droid branded. I would have thought VZW would want their first LTE handset to have that branding. I have never really seen any reason why it wasnt, so if anyone knows or has any thoughts about it that would be interesting.

I also find it strange that the DInc2 is going to be, but not the TB.

Not that it really matters, just glad they didnt BING it!!!

So I'm guessing the "Droid" brand is Verizon's, then? I've been confused about that, because I was always under the assumption all "Droid" phones were Motorala phones. Then I saw the Incredible, and it's weird, because some places would refer to it as the "Droid Incredible", while others would just refer to it as the "HTC Incredible". I never understood why it had the "Droid" name, and why not every place referred to it as such.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    ROM
    Skyraider 1.3

Yeah, its a VZW branding. The Samsung LTE phone is going to be a Droid, and so is the Dinc2.

DROID is Verizon's branding but not sure how they choose which get the name and which don't...I always assumed it had something to do with being the flagship phone but not so sure anymore...
    *PHILLIES* *FLYERS* *EAGLES*
    "The Island brought us here"...got LOST

Global Posts
    1,381 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CM

It's the htc desire hd, but with lte and a ffc. So Verizon didn't get it first and it's not exclusive to them. I think that was the answer given.

It's confusing though because the atrix and bionic are almost the exact same hardware and yet it is still the droid bionic. Weird.

ROM
    None

It is a bit confusing. I have thought of this also as to why the Bolt is not Droid branded but the Samsung will be. I do know that Verizon pays LucasFilm (StarWars) a hefty royalty for the use of the Droid name on each unit. Maybe they felt since the Thunderbolt was the first LTE handset it wouldn't need the extra push the Droid name attached to it might give it hence saving them a license fee to Lucas.
    Last edited by AndroidXTC; 04-10-2011 at 05:36 PM.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    ROM
    Skyraider 1.3

yeah thats kinda what I was thinking too. Obviously the Droid name is for marketing purposes, and the TB would sell based on being the first LTE handset, so they could save money and use the branding on future devices.

Guess I just hate the idea of the Sammy getting the Droid name and the TB not

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by jcastagnino View Post
    yeah thats kinda what I was thinking too. Obviously the Droid name is for marketing purposes, and the TB would sell based on being the first LTE handset, so they could save money and use the branding on future devices.

Guess I just hate the idea of the Sammy getting the Droid name and the TB not
    Well after what people saw with the Samsung fadcinate, Samsung is gonna need that push to sell the charge. I thought it was a smart move on their part because it would mean they have to keep up witht the updates

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    10,396 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

My guess is it has nothing to do with quality, rather a royalty the manufacture and verizon pay Lucas to market as such? Just guessing....don't know
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    ROM
    Skyraider 1.3

do you think that they have to pay royalty for each phone sold, or just for the model to carry the name itself. Lucas prob makes them pay for each handset sold lol

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    ROM
    Buglessbeast/Stock

They just pay royalties for each item that has the name as a whole, not each phone individually. An example is they have to pay to use the Droid name on the Charge as a product, not for every one of those products sold.
    So many phones, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by EggoEspada View Post
    They just pay royalties for each item that has the name as a whole, not each phone individually. An example is they have to pay to use the Droid name on the Charge as a product, not for every one of those products sold.
    It depends on the agreement I think. I say that because I do some freelance web design for a publishing company and I was wanting to use some art from one of the book covers to put on the website and the author had to find out the copyright agreement from the cover designer and the cover designer said any of the art could be used as they had the copyright for each piece of art up to 500,000 copies and after that they could buy more.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    10,396 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by jcastagnino View Post
    do you think that they have to pay royalty for each phone sold, or just for the model to carry the name itself. Lucas prob makes them pay for each handset sold lol
    That is a good question. I think it depends on the nuts and bolts of the contract. We all know how widely they can vary from case to case. Who knows? I am inclined to think units sold are not so regarding, rather the right to do what they want with the name in an unlimited nature with the specific device. Just guessing again. Maybe it is just VZW that owns the specific right to use the term. Maybe it is per unit. Who knows, but I tend to think the LTE marketing would have made enough to set the phone apart from others. We are due a good drooiiid landing huh?
    Pretty good member

Quote Originally Posted by the one and only M View Post
    It's the htc desire hd, but with lte and a ffc. So Verizon didn't get it first and it's not exclusive to them. I think that was the answer given.

It's confusing though because the atrix and bionic are almost the exact same hardware and yet it is still the droid bionic. Weird.
    The Bionic has a 4.3" screen and 8 MP camera, which is rather different from the Atrix' 4.0" screen and 5 MP camera.

I think Verizon wanted the Thunderbolt as a whole separate marketing flash, which was eventually scaled back with the delayed launch without Skype video chat.

Quote Originally Posted by the one and only M View Post

Yeah, I asked Black_Man_X about it too and the general qualifications are:
    1) it's got to be at or near the top of the line at the time it's released
    2) it's got to be exclusive to Verizon (in the US).

So far we've had the Moto Droid, HTC Droid Eris, HTC Droid Incredible, Moto Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global, and the Droid Pro.

Coming up it looks like the HTC Droid Incredible 2, Samsung Droid Charge, Moto Droid Bionic, Droid X2, and the Droid 3.

The reason the Fascinate didn't get Droid branding is that it was too similar to the other Galaxy S phones. What gets me is how the Charge is different enough from the other Sammy phones to get the Droid name. I'm being honest here, I hardly know anything about the Charge, I don't like the way Sammy runs things with upgrades so I don't pay much attention to their products. So is the Charge that different from the rest of their phones?
    Thanked by: