Best sms app?

MhzMonster

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I was just about to post a screen shot (was looking for an app to do so), but I agree that it looks great on the Thunderbolt and has plenty of customizable options. I'm also using the Metal Skin, and have customized my colors. Although I've never tried GO SMS Pro, I don't have any reason to uninstall Handcent, I like the app. If some one could post a screen shot of Go SMS Pro so we can see the difference, that would be cool.

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
How about a little different approach: try a SMS replacement, that doesn't use your paid for Text Messages (used your data), can transmit pictures, video, voice messages and other multi-media and you also can have group "texting".
What is it? WhatsApp Messenger

The down side is that your correspondents must also have that app installed on their phone. But it's available for Android, iPhone, Blackberry and Nokia.
I am on AT&T and am saving $10 a month by using this program.

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I used the stock SMS app for the first several weeks (and for nearly a year on my Inc with no issues) but decided to give Go SMS Pro a shot this past weekend. Love it so far. Lots of customization options and a very clean look overall. I did try Handcent on my Inc but it just didn't do anything for me. (Hooray for choice!)

stearic

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
How about a little different approach: try a SMS replacement, that doesn't use your paid for Text Messages (used your data), can transmit pictures, video, voice messages and other multi-media and you also can have group "texting".
What is it? WhatsApp Messenger

The down side is that your correspondents must also have that app installed on their phone. But it's available for Android, iPhone, Blackberry and Nokia.
I am on AT&T and am saving $10 a month by using this program.
Free sms replacement? That would be google voice. Even better is the other person doesn't have to have the program on their phone. Only down side is it doesn't do mms yet.

dccapo

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
From Stock to Go sms

Still fairly new to the droid life. Downloaded the Go Sms, and read through the instructions. Can someone tell me how to disable my stock sms. I went to applications/ messages, and did a force close, but I'm still receiving duplicate text, and it doesn't give me the option to uninstall.

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Still fairly new to the droid life. Downloaded the Go Sms, and read through the instructions. Can someone tell me how to disable my stock sms. I went to applications/ messages, and did a force close, but I'm still receiving duplicate text, and it doesn't give me the option to uninstall.

No need to uninstall. Open the stock Messages app, tap menu -> settings and uncheck "Received notification". :)

Reactions: dccapo

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Stay on Verizon long enough, and someone will automatically sign you up for a premium messaging service. Sprint too. They hit all our test phones at work, and both Verizon and Sprint tried to say we signed up for it. Got it cancelled, and blocked all short code messages. It's crap though.

Back on subject, Handcent is my favorite.

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
is there any need for the split message thing? i keep typing messages and have noticed they go over 160 but it seems like person is getting message in one thread...this is vzw to vzw though..wonder what happens with other services

aBoldPatriotsFan

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Go SMS Pro it is

Great thread i had tried using handcent and it just never looked right. It never looked like the one in that screen shot. What theme or skin is that? Well im now going to try Go SMS pro since it seems that more people like it and prefer it over handcent.

Thanks

sdhakko

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
+1 for Handcent. You can pretty much customize anything you want in it, so I made it my own. Can you tell that I am an Oregon Duck fan? :D

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
is there any need for the split message thing? i keep typing messages and have noticed they go over 160 but it seems like person is getting message in one thread...this is vzw to vzw though..wonder what happens with other services

I'm pretty sure that when you type over 160 your message automatically converts to a MMS. Most recipients won't notice. However someone might ask why you're sending them pix messages without pictures.

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
For those who were asking about Go SMS caps, here are a couple from mine. I'm using the Simple Stripe Theme with just a few minor mods like background color and font size. I also forgot to mention how much I LOVE being able to receive photos/MMS that aren't in slideshow format.

device12-1.png
device11-1.png

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Launcher Pro's SMS counter works with GoSMS Pro on my phone.

I recently found the GO line of apps and really love them all except for the keyboard. Tried it and went back to Swiftkey in a matter of minutes. I wish GO made an eMail app!

Deb via TapaTalk

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
A couple of question if you have a 3rd party SMS app:

1). If you receive an SMS, do you receive TWO NOTIFICATIONS? One for the Go SMS Pro app and the other for the stock HTC Thunderbolt Message app?

2). Does Go SMS Pro cause more battery usage, since now there are TWO SMS application?

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
A couple of question if you have a 3rd party SMS app:

1). If you receive an SMS, do you receive TWO NOTIFICATIONS? One for the Go SMS Pro app and the other for the stock HTC Thunderbolt Message app?

2). Does Go SMS Pro cause more battery usage, since now there are TWO SMS application?

1) nope, you can turn off received notifications in the stock app's settings.

2) I haven't noticed any extra battery drain myself! :)

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

jaguarpaw

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
the only reason i switched was to stop getting the damn msgs from scrolling across the outside of my locked phone. and the msg scroll up in the notification bar was pissing me off (seriously who wants this feature). now im going w/ go sms pro and have it customed to my liking .. very happy with it.