1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Best Video Format to Use on the Thunderbolt

I added some videos to my Thunderbolt that worked with no problems on my Droid X, but they don't seem to work with the TB. I only got one video to even play which was the Green Hornet (in .AVI format) but the audio & video didn't sync up properly. The other videos I had were in MP4 format & wouln't play at all. Any ideas on what format I should be using or if I need to use some alternate video player?

I use Rockplayer lite and it plays all of my movies so far.

ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

What player are you using?

As akira said, Rock Player is known for playing almost anything, but act1 is my favorite although I have stuff it won't play.

ROM
    stock

MP4's should play just fine, but I've read that the Thunderbolt will act strangely or won't play them at all if the file size is over 2 GB.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock

I was using the stock player. I converted one of the videos with HandBrake & it played fine. I'll give Rock Player a look as well. I really don't want to have to convert videos just to play them on my phone.

Yeah. I just posted something about this in another thread. Came from a samsung fascinate. Everything played perfect on it and even MKVs with subs. On this TB it will only play about 50% of the 800 vids I have. MP4/AVI/MPEG/DIVX... etc. Like I said there, the video support/codecs for the TB are not that great and a good bit disappointing. I would hate to just have to convert videos twice just to get them to play on a phone. Once from the DVD to the computer. And then the computer to the phone. Please don't say directly to the Phone from dvd because this is my HTPC as well and I'm not going to use a small phone quality vid for my 105" 1080p Projector hehe.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gotti View Post
    I added some videos to my Thunderbolt that worked with no problems on my Droid X, but they don't seem to work with the TB. I only got one video to even play which was the Green Hornet (in .AVI format) but the audio & video didn't sync up properly. The other videos I had were in MP4 format & wouln't play at all. Any ideas on what format I should be using or if I need to use some alternate video player?
    I'm using the stock Thunderbolt player. I also have the Green Hornet movie and syncs well. It could be the video conversion program (or the settings of the program) might be the problem. I'm using the DVD Catalyst 4 and works wonders.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Droid_Evo_8 View Post
    I'm using the stock Thunderbolt player. I also have the Green Hornet movie and syncs well. It could be the video conversion program (or the settings of the program) might be the problem. I'm using the DVD Catalyst 4 and works wonders.
    Will this app burn copy protected movies that I own?

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Casey415 View Post
    Will this app burn copy protected movies that I own?
    I dunno about copy protected movies but it did say on the program that it can scan for DVDs.

I followed this how to page and all my vids I have converted work great.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts

I have not had any issues playing avi's

Do wmv files play?

ROM
    GummyNex 0.3.8

Quote Originally Posted by zog1977 View Post
    I have not had any issues playing avi's

Do wmv files play?
    wmv, mp4, avi, mkv play well on mine... RockPlayer plays flv as well but all of my video players have problems with mpg format.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    687 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gotti View Post
    I was using the stock player. I converted one of the videos with HandBrake & it played fine. I'll give Rock Player a look as well. I really don't want to have to convert videos just to play them on my phone.
    I use Handbrake myself with the default settings with the iPhone & iPod option, has always worked great for me.

X

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

what program do you guys use to pull the DVD's down to your computer, then convert to move to your thunderbolt? maybe i missed it, sorry newbie...

ROM
    GummyNex 0.3.8

Quote Originally Posted by ej View Post
    what program do you guys use to pull the DVD's down to your computer, then convert to move to your thunderbolt? maybe i missed it, sorry newbie...
    Apparently, Handbrake is the best. But I had purchased WinX DVD Ripper Platinum and I am still using that. But it seems Handbrake is free and good.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

so handbrake rips them to your computer and will convert? i thought it only converted...

ROM
    Stock

Thumbs up

i luv this place : )
    just got RockPlayer loaded onto my Tbolt...i was wondering how i'd be able to play some of my favorite YT videos! and RP played my existing avi and mp4 files too.
    i'm a happy camper.
    HTC Thunderbolt

I tried almost every free viewer in the android market... Pimpy 1 has got it right, handbrake converts damn near anything to perfect playback... thanks again