Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4G LTE just switched on in CT!

Around 10 this morning I noticed 4GLTE on my phone. It wasn't there around 9:30. Now let's hope it sticks and isn't just in testing. This is near I-95 in Norwalk.

Now to find something big to download!
    Thanked by:

I live in Norwich, and can't wait to see the 4g indicator on my phone. Lets keep this thread going for CT updates.

I was driving to see Charlie Sheen Saturday night! I had 4G show up on my phone, for the first time, a few times while on CT-15 while passing through Norwalk.

Quote Originally Posted by lightningbolt View Post
    I was driving to see Charlie Sheen Saturday night! I had 4G show up on my phone, for the first time, a few times while on CT-15 while passing through Norwalk.
    You know we just have to ask: How was his show? The early reviews were so bad.

I wonder if they are just testing it. I get 4G every so often at work, as I'm right near Bradley Airport. But I haven't noticed anything outside of that radius. I am looking forward to it, though!

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I am going to guess that was coming from the Fairfield market which is scheduled for this year??

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Bailarge View Post
    I wonder if they are just testing it. I get 4G every so often at work, as I'm right near Bradley Airport. But I haven't noticed anything outside of that radius. I am looking forward to it, though!
    Bradley airport is not on the list of current coverage so I am going to guess that you are getting waves from the Hartford market which is also scheduled to open this year.

That certainly could be the case. A few weeks ago I was at a bar in Windsor (which is right next to Hartford) and I had 4g the whole time. Was pretty cool. Tore through the battery at a nice clip, but it was still cool. Can't wait to have it for real, hopefully soon!

how about greenwich? any 4G?

i saw it on my bolt the other day. im in new haven

Quote Originally Posted by experiment626 View Post
    You know we just have to ask: How was his show? The early reviews were so bad.
    I figured he'd be crazy like a fox and presentng his transformation. Instead I am witnessing his demise. He literally had nothing for the show. It was fun because anything could have happened. He was having a heckler removed by bouncers and got serioulsy booed. So, he let the guy on stage. This drunk guy was the best part of the show:

This is a clip of Sheen letting a drunk guy take the stage on Sat in Wallingford CT

Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    ROM
    LiquidICSv1.5 MR3V1 JMOD

Waste o dinero
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Norwalk has been solid. I drove north on I-95 last night and LTE stopped at the Fairfield Bridgeport line. I haven't headed south yet into Darien or Stamford but I will report back when I do.

WOOO Hooo!! Stamford > Check! Can't wait to see about home..

Whoops, now it is off... Must be testing. It has been on and off this morning so far. Hopefully on full time soon!
    Last edited by Stevez48; 04-13-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Default Fairfield is lit up

Just got my Thunderbolt yesterday evening. I work right on the Fairfield/Trumbull border and have 4G to play with all day so far.

Best speedtest so far is 32.82Mb down and 34.40Mb up (one test). I did have one where I hit 41.12 up.

It's kind of weird having a faster cell connection in my pocket then I have at home on comcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wmumper View Post
    Just got my Thunderbolt yesterday evening. I work right on the Fairfield/Trumbull border and have 4G to play with all day so far.

Best speedtest so far is 32.82Mb down and 34.40Mb up (one test). I did have one where I hit 41.12 up.

It's kind of weird having a faster cell connection in my pocket then I have at home on comcast.
    Don't use the speedtest.net app for testing bandwidth. The upload speed is completely wrong. Use the full speedtest.net site (have to uncheck the mobile option in the browser settings) or use the speakeasy site for a more accurate reading. Better yet, turn on mobile hotpot and test on a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by paulmike3 View Post
    Don't use the speedtest.net app for testing bandwidth. The upload speed is completely wrong. Use the full speedtest.net site (have to uncheck the mobile option in the browser settings) or use the speakeasy site for a more accurate reading. Better yet, turn on mobile hotpot and test on a laptop.
    Yes, but make sure you aren't surrounded by 10 other wireless networks. I can't get a decent reading on Mobile Hotspot while I'm at work because of the 20 other networks that are within connection range.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

I had it on for about 20 minutes in Waterbury Monday afternoon, but haven't seen it since...

Dang.... still nothin' in the new haven area.. :-(
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Careful what you wish for. Once it was turned on here in Norwalk, my battery went to hell.

Using the current monitoring widget I see that the average idle current draw goes from around 80ma to 400ma just by turning LTE on.

I now only turn it on as needed because I was only getting a few hours before I needed a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by msingewald View Post
    Careful what you wish for. Once it was turned on here in Norwalk, my battery went to hell.

Using the current monitoring widget I see that the average idle current draw goes from around 80ma to 400ma just by turning LTE on.

I now only turn it on as needed because I was only getting a few hours before I needed a charge.
    Then you need to do make some adjustments because I've had LTE since launch day and my battery can last pretty much all day.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by WebDevAnalyst View Post
    Then you need to do make some adjustments because I've had LTE since launch day and my battery can last pretty much all day.
    That may be true, but that would not explain why the current jumps just by turning 4G on. The only change I make is toggling 4G on and off to get that change in current draw.

Further, I spend my workday with a full scale signal due to the fact that I am about 500 yards from the cell site.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarpaw View Post
    how about greenwich? any 4G?
    Just took a ride south on I-95 and west on 287 from Norwalk to Dobbs Ferry and had LTE for the whole trip, including Greenwich.

Quote Originally Posted by paulmike3 View Post
    Yes you are correct. I am sorry for the misinformation regarding speeds. I didnt believe what I was seeing but after several tests back and forth between 3g and LTE it seemed the app was working correctly.

This morning I tested with a laptop connected via the mobile hotspot and consistently get about 12.5Mb down and ~6Mb up.

This seems much more in line with reality.
    Last edited by Wmumper; 04-18-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: initial post before coffee...

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 - Latest!

Default Wallingford

I live in Wallingford (Between New Haven and Hartford) and we have 4G in the center of town. It may have something to do with the VZW customer service center located in this town. I was at a restaurant the other day with my sons and fired up the mobile hotspot and they both connected with their iPod Touch's - everyone was happy and browsing faster than they can at home!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast