GPS constant, no location

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
This all started this morning. I noticed my GPS indicatior was constant. I have seen it pop up when my weather is updating, but it didn't go away. My weather/clock widget just said "current location" with no weather symbol, so i clicked and it says no weather data available.

I had already done the GPS status/tools download and it had helped get a faster lock previously although i never really had a problem before now.

So then i opened my weatherbug. It put me in the galapagos islands (I am in Northeast Texas). I can't say that i would mind being there, but i am not currently. Then when i open my gmaps it has the same. So i have turned of and on all my (3) gps' and had to disable it altogether before lunch as my battery was visibly draining.

I have uninstalled the gps status/tools app, but it didn't help. Then my gmaps updated, didn't help. I have cleared data on all the programs that use location that i know of (maps, gps status, weatherbug, weather/htc, and all the others that i noticed running.

I am trying to avoid a factory reset ATM, so i was gonna see if anyone else had this issue and found a fix? If not, if anyone has the issue and did a factory reset - did it work? I know it isn't that big a deal on android, but i would like to avoid it if i can.

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Not stupid... i would have asked the same...

I restarted several times today. Then battery pull earlier. Still no luck.

Finally did a factory reset and took some work to get all my apps to download. Weather/Clock never updated, gmaps got close (within a mile) of my house with the blue dot instead of a circle like it had my exact location. I only did it for a few minutes.... now i'm back in the galapagos... at least it is consistent.

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I found that gps status DID NOT do it for me. Give GPSfix a shot in the market. Worked wonders on 3 bolts that I have done it too. Run it outside or by a window. After a minute or so it should say location fixed. Back out of it and open maps. I would almost guarantee you will be all set. If not then you have yourself a hardware issue.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I never turn on my GPS to get my weather... even if the location is using HTC Sense's weather or WeatherBug... The only thing I have on under Setting > Location is Google Location Services, and of course E911.

When I turn on GPS using the HTC widget it only turns on Standalone GPS Services... which works great for me with Google Maps.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
This all started this morning. I noticed my GPS indicatior was constant. I have seen it pop up when my weather is updating, but it didn't go away. My weather/clock widget just said "current location" with no weather symbol, so i clicked and it says no weather data available.

I had already done the GPS status/tools download and it had helped get a faster lock previously although i never really had a problem before now.

So then i opened my weatherbug. It put me in the galapagos islands (I am in Northeast Texas). I can't say that i would mind being there, but i am not currently. Then when i open my gmaps it has the same. So i have turned of and on all my (3) gps' and had to disable it altogether before lunch as my battery was visibly draining.

I have uninstalled the gps status/tools app, but it didn't help. Then my gmaps updated, didn't help. I have cleared data on all the programs that use location that i know of (maps, gps status, weatherbug, weather/htc, and all the others that i noticed running.

I am trying to avoid a factory reset ATM, so i was gonna see if anyone else had this issue and found a fix? If not, if anyone has the issue and did a factory reset - did it work? I know it isn't that big a deal on android, but i would like to avoid it if i can.

The GPS / Google maps is awful on the Thunderbolt. My weather was putting me in Jersey yesterday - I'm in Ohio. The Google maps can place me within 100 feet once every 50 times tried, it is usually off by 500 feet to a half mile. And it is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

GPS / Google maps on my Storm1 was super fast and dead on accurate, I loved (and trusted) using it. On the Thunderbolt I only use maps to look up an address - It's VERY disappointing, I miss being able to track myself while driving. :(

If HTC/Verizon/Google doesn't get the many broken things fixed by the end of summer, I will be dumping the TB for something that works - and gladly paying the cancellation fee just to be rid of it. :mad:

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The GPS / Google maps is awful on the Thunderbolt. My weather was putting me in Jersey yesterday - I'm in Ohio. The Google maps can place me within 100 feet once every 50 times tried, it is usually off by 500 feet to a half mile. And it is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

GPS / Google maps on my Storm1 was super fast and dead on accurate, I loved (and trusted) using it. On the Thunderbolt I only use maps to look up an address - It's VERY disappointing, I miss being able to track myself while driving. :(

If HTC/Verizon/Google doesn't get the many broken things fixed by the end of summer, I will be dumping the TB for something that works - and gladly paying the cancellation fee just to be rid of it. :mad:

Mike, did u try gpsfix? Just have to run it once and only takes a minute. Just curious.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

I don't think anything works for you, does it Mike_is??? Every time I read one of your posts you talk about some problem you are having with your Thunderbolt.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
When Im at work I have a large power substation right next door. It creates enough of a magnetic field that my GPS puts me off a mile away everytime. But when Im at home I get a lock thats twenty feet or so every time.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't think anything works for you, does it Mike_is??? Every time I read one of your posts you talk about some problem you are having with your Thunderbolt.

Phone calls work fine.
Bluetooth talk & send files works fine.
4G is very fast.
WiFi works fine.
Kindle works fine.
Pandora usually works fine.
ThinkFree works fine.
iheartradio works fine.
Google Sky works fine.
Gallery works fine.
WebEx works fine.
Market works fine.
Scoremobile works fine.
Still camera works fine. (not video)
Flashlight works fine.
Clock / Stopwatch / Alarm work fine.
Blockbuster works fine.

How's that?

There just happen to be things that my (almost) three year old Blackberry did MUCH better than Droid - that's just a fact of life. There are also things that were SUPPOSED to work on the Thunderbolt that don't work or don't work well, that is a fact too.

If these forums are only for people who want to slap each other on the back and congratulate themselves for buying the latest Droid, then I am in the wrong place.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Mike, did u try gpsfix? Just have to run it once and only takes a minute. Just curious.

Yes, I have tried that and one of the other fix downloads (I forget the name), neither did any better than what came with the phone. but thanks for the suggestion.

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I tried the gpsfix this morning and it is still not working. Driving me nuts trying to figure this out. I am trying to avoid an exchange, so I am uninstalling apps one at a time to see if something is messing with it. If no better by the weekend, I will see what VZW says.

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
So, i've narrowed my issue down.... I do not believe my gps is faulty. I can get 10/10 sat lock with gps status app. I can get "close" to my location with gmaps at times. Even when maps is giving me a location, my weather still will not update.

My problem began when i was trying to get ADB and the SDK installed. I did not "change" anything. Just had a lot of difficulty getting all the drivers installed on my computer. After i got it working... I only took a few screenshots of my TB. After that is when i noticed the issue.

I hooked my TB back up to my computer and ran "ddms" and it found my TB. I just left it hooked up and it "did its thing". It resulted with a log file. I have never messed with SDK before but the log file has a HUGE list of Errors and Warnings. Does anyone know what this means? How do i find out how to "fix" the errors as i believe this is what my problem is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa